Author Topic: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy  (Read 123849 times)

Offline dwsi

Re: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 04:13:17 pm »
Someone mentioned by name?  ;D

I get back to you later on

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 04:47:37 pm »
Someone mentioned by name?  ;D

I get back to you later on

Thanks Dwsi because you know a lot about the area.      $thanx$

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 07:24:40 pm »
The house with the green nissen hut is called "Ynys Fawr" and it was refurbished and extended in the late 1970s.  I am not sure a ferry operated from there.  The name alludes to some of the land being technically an island as it was partly surrounded by the Afon Ganol.

As I mentioned earlier, a pumping station or booster was built on the "water board" site in the late 1930s.  That building still survives - rustic looking.  The Conway Valley Water Board offices were built in the same plot around 1972 but demolished to make way for the Ganol Sewage works about 12 years ago.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 03:27:18 pm »
The White house was there in 1947 but do not know what date it was built by the Davies family she say's she went to it and  it's there now
 we will  try and ask some more from her but she gets mixed up at times so can only ask a bit at a time
 She says it was very large white  house  with a  huge staircase  near a shop near to  to the  pub you go up the hill a  little bit she always on about the hill?  And you  look out to the sea sorry about the vagueness.
Anneelaine

Offline Hugo

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 04:05:59 pm »
I had a look at the 1911 Census and could see the Rogersons at Pensarn Farm.   With the Census forms you sometimes can get a good idea of the location by flicking the pages back and forth.
With the Rogersons however,  they were the last family in that particular ward so I could only establish the names of houses on one side of Pensarn Farm.
The nearest houses were Bryn Derw,  The Hermitage, Waen Hyfryd and after that came the houses on Esgyryn Hill that I am familiar with. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 04:48:40 pm »
I have just had a look at a plan of the area when they proposed building the Hotpoint factory and there is a site called  Pen Sarn with numerous buildings on it. This may be the farm because it is definitely in Llangystenin Parish
The location of it was  at the Junction of Pabo Lane and Narrow Lane.  Those buildings on the map are no longer there because it is now part of Richard Williams' business and that of another Builders Merchants.
Anneelaine,  can you remember if the farm was very near a railway line and a bridge as this location I've mentioned is only about 50 yards away from the railway bridge?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CEIQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.herwales.co.uk%2Fher%2Fgroups%2FGAT%2Fmedia%2FGAT_Reports%2FGATreport_398_compressed.pdf&ei=PA-NUbysBob20gXzvIHwBw&usg=AFQjCNHL8orLsB3UWryX4rbsiW6M_0h44w&sig2=s2YRX4uyyyJaPf7OpSemdg

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 08:59:05 pm »
Mmmm i do not think so only because it was a long walk on a lane going upwards  we stop a lot but I was only young but we did come on a train we did not have a car  at that time
Also  when we were going to see family in conwy we would go past the mounting  on the motorway  my dad would say i lived  right up there.
Thats the only think he would say he worked on the family farm did not have a good life there then went into the RAF as soon as he could
 I have a Aunt who is 90 but if you ask her she gets upset so it a hard one thats why I wanted to find out about the family ( what was going on )
Thanks Anneelaine

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 09:11:23 pm »
Been thinking how long would it take you  to walk up to the farm from the the  main bottom road
  It could be the farm maybe the farmhouse was higher up so it would seem longer to get to.
Anneelaine

Offline Hugo

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 10:35:34 pm »
Do you have any idea how far the farm was from the railway and bridge?     Dwsi and Cambrian know a lot more about that area than I do but I remember vaguely  the train stopping at Pabo which was a few hundred yards away but cannot remember if it was a passenger stop or not.
We can find out exactly where the farm was from the Conwy Archives but information on the family may be difficult unless anyone knows the family personally

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 11:19:16 pm »
Hi do not know how far cannot think
I should have done this years ago when people were still alive
But will see how far i can get
 I do know a   lot about life for the Rogerson a very very rich family from Dublin and London but he lost all his money in 1865 wife passed away,  He moved to Liverpool married my gt grandmother from Anglesey in 1872  aged 72 and moved to Anglesey. then had my grandfather in 1877, some how  my grandfather  got Pensarn farm   some were around 1901
 But nothing about the Davies side
Anneelaine

Offline Hugo

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2013, 10:49:36 am »
Anneelaine,   I have been thinking again about the map I posted and am nearly certain that this was Pensarn Farm.  The houses fit in with the Census forms and put Pen Sarn in that location.
My only hesitation is that the Census forms do not show any houses on the other side or else I would be 100 per cent certain.
I'll try and find out for certain though.
I did have a look at earlier Census forms for 1891 and 1901 and William Rogerson was living at 2 Marl Bach which must have been near Marl Farm, the Davies' home

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2013, 11:34:55 am »
O right   Thats great
Thank you Anneelaine

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2013, 05:47:08 pm »
This photo maybe the cottage

Offline Hugo

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2013, 04:21:32 pm »
That's a nice photo Anneelaine and it looks quite old.   I had an e-mail from an elderly Junction man and he thought that Pensarn was the oldest property in that area and thought that it had some connection to a house opposite the Black Cat Garage but didn't know what the connection was.  He had not heard of the Rogerson family though.
  If I can get to the Archives soon then I'll have a look around there for any information.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2013, 06:47:14 pm »
Hi  Hugo Thank you
 Could that be the Davies house? William Rogerson wife and the house we are looking for
Anneelaine