Author Topic: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy  (Read 123996 times)

Offline anneelaine

Re: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy
« Reply #270 on: August 11, 2018, 12:31:12 am »
Hugo,
I took this photo to my aunt the other day
 she looked away from it when I gave it to her
 she  looked a bit upset so did not say anymore
Do you know the name of the house please it looks a lot like the house I was telling you about
 but without the side bits and  moving the front door to the right place
 so I can look up on for a name on 1939
Thanks you
Anneelaine

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #271 on: August 11, 2018, 09:57:31 am »
I'm afraid that I don't know where it is Anneelaine but It may be familiar to other forum members.     It is quite distinguished so it should be easy to recognise.
I'll have a look later today on Google

Offline Hugo

« Reply #272 on: August 11, 2018, 10:13:49 am »
I've found it and know exactly where it is.  When I looked at Google earth the property was up for sale with Sterling Estate agents.
It's next to the farm on the corner of the Black Cat roundabout.
Go up the hill past the farm and then past a compound and the house is next to it on the right hand side as you are going up the hill.
It has the same postcode as the one you supplied sometime ago

By the way the house is called Castle Keep and I'm not sure if the compound is part of the land of the property

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #273 on: August 11, 2018, 02:04:03 pm »
Hugo - you beat me to it!  I had thought Pensarn Farm was on the other side of the old county boundary.  I think Castle Keep is a more modern dwelling which has been extended.  It does not seem to show up on Ordnance Survey maps until the 6" edition published in 1953 which was revised in the late 1940s. Castle Keep is quite firmly in the old parish of Llansantffraid Glan Conway rather than Llangwstennin.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #274 on: August 11, 2018, 03:11:03 pm »
Hey,
So that house would have been on Pensarn farm land do you think it could have been the farm house in 1967 ? also Hugo the photo of that small white house with my dad as a young boy you found with the dogs after you Hugo is so close to it or am I in the wrong place  (castle  keep)
 Land Registry not showing it at all for the name of house Llansantffraid Glan Conway or  Llangwstennin
Anneelaine

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #275 on: August 11, 2018, 03:22:48 pm »
Castle Keep, Sarn Y Mynach To Glasfryn, Colwyn Bay, LL28 5LE
                                 Found it

Detached
Year built:
Bedrooms:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #276 on: August 11, 2018, 03:48:04 pm »
Hugo - you beat me to it!  I had thought Pensarn Farm was on the other side of the old county boundary.  I think Castle Keep is a more modern dwelling which has been extended.  It does not seem to show up on Ordnance Survey maps until the 6" edition published in 1953 which was revised in the late 1940s. Castle Keep is quite firmly in the old parish of Llansantffraid Glan Conway rather than Llangwstennin.

Pensarn Farm was across the other side of the causeway at the end of the railway bridge and roughly where the Plumbers merchants is now and was in Llangystennin   The other farm by the Black Cat roundabout is Sarn Y Mynach but I'm sure that I've seen old maps when it has had Pensarn shown by it and that was in Llansanffraid Glan Conwy just like Castle Keep.
Have you any idea when Castle Keep was built?

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #277 on: August 11, 2018, 04:27:51 pm »
1922 Hugo
maybe this is the house I went to or My family lived in
 could be where my Dad took me that day to his cousins  he did not tell us her name just the old lady
O dear the house looks right  but the grounds 2 small also no sheep around the house ( I have this picture in my mind and that place looks so much like it)
Anneelaine

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #278 on: August 11, 2018, 06:49:45 pm »
Correct, Hugo.  Old maps do show "Sarn y Mynach" as Pensarn.  The other Pensarn was at the opposite end of the causeway in Llangwstennin so the naming is correct.  My interpretation of the old OS map is that the Llangwstennin one was on the site of what is now Richard Williams' depot (used to be Bookers at one time). The buildings seem to have disappeared by the time the 1953 edition was produced.

"Castle Keep" does look as if it was built on land which belonged to Pensarn (Glan Conway). This Pensarn was still shown called thus on the 1953 OS map so when the change of name took place is anyone's guess.  I suppose the rating records would give a clue.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #279 on: August 11, 2018, 07:06:43 pm »
 ;D wow

Offline Hugo

« Reply #280 on: August 11, 2018, 10:54:47 pm »
Anneelaine, don't forget that the place has changed a lot since you were a child and the area from the farm to Castle Keep would have been fields in your day and also across the road was farmland too

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #281 on: August 12, 2018, 12:12:46 am »
Hugo,
I was thinking that today we would walk from the junction station to the farm
 it would feel like it  was a long way and as you say  would not look how it looks today
thank you all

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #282 on: August 12, 2018, 04:29:28 pm »
Hey,
Thank you for all your info It now looks like we found the house
AND Hugo you found the little house in the photo wow
 so when we move too llandudno soon I can try and fine out who lived in that house in 1967 and when was the name change
I can never thank you  guys enough
Anneelaine

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #283 on: August 13, 2018, 03:01:12 pm »
I think the gentleman who lived in the house was a Mr Evans ,I believe he was an accountant or a solicitor in Llanrwst not certain , but his son Dewi farmed Gofer Farm in the Bryn Y Maen area .they also had a daughter I do not recall her name but will make enquires if it helps

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #284 on: August 13, 2018, 06:43:13 pm »
Robbie that would be great thank you.( Is this around 1967)