Author Topic: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy  (Read 123953 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy
« Reply #210 on: October 16, 2017, 05:12:32 pm »
No, Hugo.  The brown building was a Ministry of Food buffer depot built around 1942.  I have a vague memory of seeing railway vans in the sidings there in the 1950s as well.  I also believe a platoon of US soldiers was stationed there in the huts to guard the place during the war.

The pumping station was quite a smart single story flat-roofed building about the length of a pair of semis. I heard that the concrete base fractured during piling works to build the flyover (A55) and a decision was taken to demolish it.  The door, which faced Pensarn, had the prominent wording "Llandudno UDC Waterworks" carved in concrete above. 

Regarding Bryn Eisteddfod, I think you have seen a coachman's cottage.  I don't recall ever hearing it was licensed as pub though.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #211 on: October 16, 2017, 06:14:07 pm »
Thanks Cambrian for that info about the Ministry of Food depot, my next door neighbour worked there and I definitely remember the train I was on,  stopping there sometime in the 1950's.
I don't know much about Bryn Eisteddfod other than what I read today and it mentioned a license but I don't know when the license was granted.

That house is strange though, there was a car in the yard but there was no entry into the place apart from past those guard dogs and I was not going to chance it

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #212 on: October 16, 2017, 06:57:32 pm »
 ;DHi
The black cat roundabout the road going up to Bryn y Mean may sound daft but I can see my Dad walking up the road  here and the house  as you are just going up I know it
 but it looks bigger and I have been inside but do not know why
The cottage you may be right  :o Thank you all
 could not have found out so much without you guys it means
so much to me
 Now find out who was the owner  of the farm
 in 1968
Anneelaine

Offline Hugo

« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2017, 10:19:50 am »
This is an aerial photo of how Pensarn Farm looks like now.   The main building is the first one and then there is an opening but it's the second building on the main road that caught my attention.  It's very similar to the one in the photo on pg 3 of this topic

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #214 on: October 17, 2017, 02:53:45 pm »
Here is a pic of my 1947 OS map. Pensarn is shown on the LL J side as is the Llan of LLangwstenin .
I don't know if this helps at all!
Sadly this is another example of why I don't post often! All my pics seem to change position. Perhaps
a moderator can adjust it the correct way and maybe explain why. It seems at least one other contributor has the same problem.
Incidentally the pic was taken on an android phone.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #215 on: October 17, 2017, 06:54:04 pm »
Sadly this is another example of why I don't post often! All my pics seem to change position. Perhaps
a moderator can adjust it the correct way and maybe explain why. It seems at least one other contributor has the same problem.
Incidentally the pic was taken on an android phone.

In my humble opinion, I think that your picture postings are just due to jetlag.   Too many foreign holidays and you'll miss another walk again when you jet off  soon.      ;D

I'm sure though that Ian or Dave will work their magic on the photo for you.

The area from the Black Cat roundabout to the spot where Richard Williams Builders Merchants  in Llandudno Junction is, was called the Monks Causeway.     At either end of the causeway were two farms and they were both called Pensarn Farm and that is where the problem arises.

The one by Richard Williams was in the Parish of Llangystennin but the one at the other end of the causeway wasn't.   From what Anneelaine has said though it might be the one by the Black Cat roundabout that she has the childhood memories of.
I think that it could be that too and may go back there to take a photo of the place.       I'll get Tellytubby to act as a decoy and let the guard dogs chase him while I take  photos of the other buildings.           8)

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2017, 09:34:36 pm »
Looking again at the photo and thinking about it I think you could be right because the girl Hannah looks about the age that everyone was still at pensarn farm ,and the little one looks like my dad at that time all lived at the farm
.If it was my Dads cousin in 1968 I would think the name could be Davies just came to me , cannot think it would be Rogerson or Owen maybe wrong
 All Left the farm a round 1928 when William  Rogerson left and went to Liverpool and the younger ones went into a home But a Aunt told us that there's  2 farms 1at the top  she may be mixed up
Thanks for photos enjoy looking at them $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #217 on: October 17, 2017, 10:38:02 pm »
Anneelaine,   The Davies' were a well known farming family and either owned or tenanted a number of farms in that area.
A lot were on the Llandudno Junction side of the railway and also some on the other side.

I haven't got the answers you are looking for but I've enclosed two photos for you and also to show my fellow walking friend Rhuddlan  the location of the two Pensarn Farms.
These were taken of an O/S map from the late 1880's to the early 1890's

The first is a photo of the map and in the second photo I have ringed in red the two farms.    Only the farm by the Black Cat now remains.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2017, 11:55:05 pm »
 :o    2  farms one at the top the other bottom well well I thing we may have done it
So with the name Davies I need to look for a child thank you so much

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #219 on: October 18, 2017, 12:04:05 am »
Hugo cannot fined the name of the road where the farm was near the black cat  $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #220 on: October 18, 2017, 08:41:10 am »
Hugo cannot fined the name of the road where the farm was near the black cat  $thanx$

Look at the map with the two farms circled in red and concentrate on the bottom one.
The road to the right is the main road and it goes up to the second farm at the top.   This is Conway Road the A547

To the left of the bottom farm is the A470 and that was also called Conway Road.

From the bottom farm you can see a lane going down in the picture and that is the B5381  which locals call the Bryn Y Maen Road.     That is actually the narrow lane going uphill to the big white house which is called Bryn Eisteddfod

Hope that you can make some sense out of all that

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #221 on: October 19, 2017, 10:36:22 pm »
Thanks for that, $thanx$

seeing what I have got to do next now

Offline Hugo

« Reply #222 on: October 26, 2017, 06:07:28 pm »
Anneelaine,    I have just received an e-mail from a friend who lives in Llandudno Junction and this is what he has told me,    Hope that it may help with your search

"I have obtained some information for you re Pensarn Farm  ( sarn y mynach ) .

The lady that lived there from1940`s until her death in about 1970 `s not certain about this date was a Mary Davies ,I have no further details other than the name and she was unmarried ,  again I cant confirm this ."

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #223 on: October 31, 2017, 03:49:19 am »
Mary Davies rings a bell  Thanks for that Looking into it today

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #224 on: October 31, 2017, 06:29:07 pm »
Hello
I have been looking around and found this The last time we saw Mary Davies was in June 1968
PRINT SOURCE BOX SHARE
Attach to Family Tree

Mary Davies
BillionGraves Index
Name
Mary Davies
Event T
Death Date
ype
Burial
Event Place
Conwy, Conwy, Wales, United Kingdom