Author Topic: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy  (Read 123990 times)

Offline anneelaine

Re: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2017, 02:43:14 am »
right
 No her name was Mary Jones his second wife was  Davies $good$

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2017, 12:58:17 pm »
Squiggles, the person hasn't phoned me back yet but he has been reading the thread on the old Swan and can contribute to that so I'll post anything I get to know in that topic

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2017, 01:05:18 pm »
Squiggles, the person hasn't phoned me back yet but he has been reading the thread on the old Swan and can contribute to that so I'll post anything I get to know in that topic

Thanks Hugo. I'll look forward to that.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2017, 08:01:16 pm »
Hugo ,
Do you know why I can look for old deeds on farms
  In or a round Llandudno Please.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #199 on: October 06, 2017, 10:25:50 pm »
Anneelaine,  I'm sorry but I've no idea what you should be looking for or where you can find them

Cambrian has experience of that so perhaps he can point you in the right direction

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #200 on: October 07, 2017, 08:29:59 am »
Looking for deeds can be a bit hit and miss.  Now that most land is being recorded via the Land Registry, once an entry has been made traditional deeds are no longer so important.  Occasionally, Solicitors will deposit material with the Archives or National Library.  In amongst these collections you may find old epitomes of title which record all the changes of ownership down the ages.  Sometimes deeds of property which has been registered can be found also old leases and mortgages which can provide useful clues.

It may be possible to access the Land Registry itself but I am not sure I copies of original documents are available.  Best to check on the Land Registry website. 

Many of the farms on the Creuddyn peninsula were on Mostyn land so records of tenancies may be available at the various County Archives is the estate had deposited material.  Most early Mostyn records are in the Flintshire Archives at Hawarden.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #201 on: October 08, 2017, 01:35:52 am »
Thank you for that Cambrian Will see what I can find out on Mon  D)

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2017, 02:41:08 am »
Hi
Found out a bit more tonight
Looks like the son off William bell Was not living on the farm in 1968
 So now who  was the other guy on the farm that day
 Never NO I think
Anyway  William Bell in 1939 was living in Llandudno UD
 with a Owen Owen so that would be my great grandmother daughters husband
Thanks

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #203 on: October 16, 2017, 04:59:42 am »
Hi .
Just been looking around and with some of the things you all said
 I found a postcode LL28 5LE and it  just across the road from the Black cat that I was going on about could not believe it
I feel I know the place
was this where pensarn Farm was Mmmm I got a feeling but yet again could be wrong. :o

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #204 on: October 16, 2017, 05:20:17 am »
Just one more thing by the Black cat is a large white house could this be the house my aunt was on about
 She kept saying its by the black cat
it just goes with the Rogerson at the top farm and the others at the bottom Just thinking Thanks guys

Offline Hugo

« Reply #205 on: October 16, 2017, 12:20:03 pm »
Anneelaine,  you could be on to something here and may have solved it yourself.  Like any research you do need positive proof and it has been difficult to get that.

However, if I could just explain this first so you can be aware of what has happened already:-
From the Black Cat area to Llandudno Junction (over the Railway Bridge) was called the Monk's Causeway and the area in Llandudno Junction is known as Pensarn

In English Pensarn is the top or head of the causeway.      I've found Pensarn Farm on the Llandudno Junction side and we know that it was in the Parish of Llangystennin however today I've looked at a map of the 1880's and it also shows a Pensarn Farm on the Black Cat side of the causeway and this could be the one you are seeking.
Was that farm in Llangystennin Parish?  At present I'm not positive but perhaps someone on here can tell us one way or
another.

Anyway,  I've been to have a look in that area and the first building on the right going up the hill is a very old building, it has other smaller buildings in the yard but is completely private and shielded from the public view.   There is no name on the building, no front door, just a large wooden gate and protected by one or two noisy guard dogs so I kept well away.

I've taken some photos for you but there may be other forum members who may be able to put some name or history to the place.     Further up the hill is a large white house called Castle Keep and next too it on the main road is another property with a number of stone steps going up to it.   

I've just had a look at the postcode you have supplied LL28 5LE  and there are just 3 properties coming up for that and they are Castle Keep, Maes Glas and  Sarn Y Mynach .    I'm thinking that the house on the corner with the ivy on it is called Sarn Y Mynach but that's just my guess.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2017, 12:58:36 pm »
I've gone on Google and found the proof of the Pensarn Farm by the Black Cat Roundabout and this is an extract from the article:-

Afon Ganol : Glan Conwy & Sarn-y-Mynach
In Norman Tucker’s book, he commented that the antiquarian John Leland,
writing in Henry VIII’s time, wrote about the Credine [Creuddyn]…
.Credine-a commote of Cairarvonshire a this side Conwey River. This commote
partely be Conwey River partely by the se is yn a manner as innsulatid,and one
way owte of Denbigh land the way is over a made causeway over a marsh often
overflown’7
This reference to a causeway suggests that Leland was referring to the Sarn-yMynach
(Monk’s causeway) ….which would be from Pen Sarn (farm opposite
Black Cat filling station) across to Pen Sarn & Tal y Sarn in Llandudno Junction.
The name Sarn-y- Mynach is thought to refer to a causeway that the monks had
built across the marshes of the Afon Ganol valley,

This is a very interesting link from the Deganwy History Group

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj4-dzyhfXWAhVFXhoKHfKEB74QFggmMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.deganwyhistory.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F05%2FAfon-ganol.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2BtYoOBlv1mZ3z3WJUAjdg

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2017, 02:13:24 pm »
Pensarn Farm (later called Sarn y Mynach) has always been in the parish of Llansantffraid Glan Conwy on the Denbighshire side of the Afon Ganol.
I am not sure when the name was changed.
As an aside, Llandudno UDC built a booster station adjacent to Colwyn Bay Council's sub-station in 1938.  This was a "modern" looking building alongside the old Conway Road (now part of the A55 approach works) and was demolished about 20 years ago.  It was known as Sarn y Mynach Pumping Station.
The large white house could well be Bryn Eisteddfod which overlooks the area.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2017, 03:42:55 pm »
Was that brown brick building the old pumping station?     If it was then I remember trains stopping there in the 50's
Bryn Eisteddfod looks like a very impressive place and if it was licensed in Annieelaine's  early years then this might be the place where the older folk went up the hill for a drink

Offline Hugo

« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2017, 04:18:04 pm »
Anneelaine,   just an add on to my previous posts, I did manage a peep through the high wooden gate before those dogs frightened the life out of me.    There are two other buildings in the yard but the one that interested me was the one on the left of the big house, it's a single storey small cottage with one window and a door at the far end.
The gable end of that cottage is facing the road.

If you look at my third photo and see a cream coloured wall, the cottage is behind that wall and faces the bigger two storey cottage.
What made me interested in it was because it was very similar to the photo you posted on page 3 this search.
Is this the cottage, I wonder?       ?{}?