Author Topic: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy  (Read 124061 times)

Offline anneelaine

Re: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy
« Reply #255 on: June 13, 2018, 03:13:11 pm »
Hugo,
Where would I go to look up about farms in past times? in Llandudno.
would you believe it we are looking at a house to buy in Conwy
do not know where that came from

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #256 on: June 13, 2018, 03:41:26 pm »
Anneelaine,   I'm sorry but I can't help you about farms in past times but there may be others on the forum who can advise you.,    Good luck with your house hunting, it's a nice area to live in.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #257 on: June 13, 2018, 07:03:38 pm »
There are a few possibilities but could need a fair amount of time to research.  A good place to start would be the Tithe Records which were compiled for each parish in the 19th Century. The County Archives has most of these.  It would be fairly easy to identify farms and small holdings by the amount of land associated with the tenant or landowner.  The Town Directories are also a source of information. Census records available up to 1911 will show the trade or calling of the head of household. 

If you had a specific area in mind I am sure one or more of us on the Forum would be able to give some help or further pointers.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #258 on: June 13, 2018, 07:23:44 pm »
A friend sent me this link which may help.   I don't know enough about this subject but Anneelaine may be looking for Tan Y Bryn and the Rogerson connection.  There are two in Pydew but the name is fairly common in N Wales

https://places.library.wales/

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #259 on: June 13, 2018, 11:33:20 pm »
Thank you all for the help you have given me.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #260 on: June 19, 2018, 02:55:30 am »
Hi Hugo,
I think I may have found who was on Pernsarn Farm in 1968 It had to be a Davies looking at it now my Dads cousin, not a maria but mary also my dad said about his cousin been buried Saint Tudno Church Cemetery Llandudno been looking and maybe think this could be her.
Name Mary Davies Birth Date1893 Date1968 Cemetery NameSaint Tudno Church Cemetery Llandudno I need to do a little more digging I think

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #261 on: June 19, 2018, 03:33:24 am »
Forget what I just said please  the rest of names wrong on  the  grave

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #262 on: June 19, 2018, 04:33:36 am »
Hi back again been speaking to my sister  and we both said now  we were never told we were at Pensarn farm
just at  my dad's cousins farm but both of us thinking because where it was it was pensarn farm may sound daft
 we no the road  feels right but we both feel it was a lot longer walk as we been in Conwy in the car today going to do the walk from LJ station to the farm in a few weeks   and see how that feels

Offline Hugo

« Reply #263 on: June 19, 2018, 10:43:06 pm »
That postcode that you supplied was for the farm Sarn Y Mynach by the Black Cat roundabout but I hope that that you enjoy the walk and you find something.   
That area has changed a lot since your childhood and it may be that you'll just have to settle for those childhood memories

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #264 on: June 19, 2018, 11:52:12 pm »
I think your right Hugo thank you

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #265 on: June 20, 2018, 12:50:11 am »
Just one more thing been speaking to my sister about us looking at Pensarn farm  yesterday  well I think we were looking at it lol
She said it to low down it took us about an hour to walk if any I would say the farm we went to was Tan Y Bryn Farm
Bryn Pydew but how could it be
 I wish I could find the 2 photo I had
 O well you have all been a great help cannot thank you enough
just wishing I knew what made my dad so unhappy, not to speak about his life.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #266 on: June 20, 2018, 11:58:41 am »
Anneelaine,   I can't remember exactly who you said your father was but there is a definite connection of the Rogerson's to Pensarn Farm Llangystenin.

I've reposted a photo I took of a grave in Llangystenin Church some years ago and the inscription is in Welsh but this is what it's translated to in English
Mary Rogerson, dear wife of William Rogerson Pensarn Farm Llangystenin died 21st January 1917      Also

Catherine Ellen dear child of the above who died October 27th 1918 aged 1 year and 9 months old      Also

William Bell Rogerson died February 19th 1940 aged 62

Just looking at that and the dates involved I'm guessing that Mary died after giving birth to Catherine Ellen which is so sad and especially so that Catherine Ellen died a short time later

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #267 on: June 20, 2018, 09:08:51 pm »
Thank you Hugo ,
 He married my grandmother about 9 months later  1917 and that's when it all started
 my gran (Jane Ann Davies) was cast out from the family
                  He was on the farm with his first wife at first.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #268 on: July 09, 2018, 06:13:50 pm »
I was looking at the Llangystenin Baptism record for another forum member and came across a Baptism for the Rogerson family.
The information on the Register is as follows:-

No 241   Born 7/6/1901   Baptised 19th Jan 1906    Mary Agnes    daughter to Mary Ann Rogerson     1 Margaret St   ( I couldn't read the address properly but that's what it looked like )
So Mary Agnes Rogerson was an illegitimate child

I thought that I'd enclose the details for you

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #269 on: July 25, 2018, 04:22:53 pm »
Hugo Thanks for that Mmm O dear I am back looking now THANK YOU SO MUCH