Author Topic: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy  (Read 123985 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 03:33:34 pm »
That's the area Suepp, but the Sarn (causeway) must have crossed over to the Black Cat area because it was called the Monk's Causeway  ( Sarn Y Mynach) 
By the Black Cat Garage is the Welsh Waterboard building and that's the area marked on the 1840 map as Pen Sarn.
Like Cambrian said that area should be in Llansanffraid not Llangystenin but the Parish boundary is a bit odd in that area.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 10:52:00 pm »
 Mrs Davies from the farm  you told me about  (  now a caravan site )
 I phone her up today and she said she thinks  Pensarn Farm is where the Water Board  is today so that's good  How would i find out it was a Rogerson or Davies whose farm it was

Thanks Anne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 12:57:49 pm »
The Conwy Archives in Llandudno would have that information in their records.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 04:08:49 pm »
Thank you will give them a ring next week

Offline Hugo

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 04:29:31 pm »

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 03:26:19 pm »
The boundary was the Denbighshire/Caernarvonshire boundary as well as the two parishes mentioned.  It seems to have followed the Afon Ganol but as Hugo says its route is unclear probably because the channel of the stream has been changed over the years.  I am not sure about Pensarn at the Water Board site.  The first building there was an old booster station which was built on land acquired from the Bryn Eisteddfod estate just before the second world war.  Two houses were built adjacent but these were demolished when the sewage works was built (this itself replaced the HQ of the Conway Valley Water Board which was only built in the early 1970s.) A look at the Llansantffraid Glan Conway tithe map would probably be helpful to pinpoint the position.

Offline DVT

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 09:44:19 pm »
I'm probably throwing more confusion into this but ...

Looking at a map on old-maps.co.uk - the Glan Conwy Corner (Black Cat) area in 1914-1916 had a building known as Pen-Sarn - is it the name of the house opposite Black Cat (which has the boat yard behind it?).

The cottages alongside the railway, and opposite Richard Williams Builders, is known as Pen-sarn Cottages and is also on the map.  The bridge over the railway at that point is known as Pensarn Bridge.  On the old map the road from Black Cat to Pensarn Bridge is shown as Sarn Mynach.

Llandudno Junction did come under Llangwstenin area at one time, not sure where the boundary was.  The eastern section of Llandudno Junction is called the Pensarn Ward in local elections.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 10:31:05 pm »
Thanks I am so lost Now lol but calling the house same name as farm maybe
Just been speaking to my sister and she said the were Rogerson up the Mountain and some at the bottom of the Mountain   
Only because she went to see our aunt and she told her friend that  this is one of the Rogerson from the top  She had gone back in time to pensarn farm when she was a child so could not get much from her (Jane nee Davies) rogerson was her Aunt
Just getting bits back here and there Sorry

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 08:44:21 am »
DVT is quite right about the location.  I think the property must have changed its name at some stage as it is I believe now called Sarn y Mynach. The parish would have been Llansantffraid Glan Conway (as it was spelt).

Offline Hugo

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 10:57:42 am »
I saw two friends at a coffee morning yesterday.  Both are OAP's and lived in Llandudno Junction or Bryn Pydew all their lives and have never heard of Pensarn Farm or any Rogerson so I can't help there.
The one who lives in Llandudno Junction can remember Tal Sarn Farm which was situated where the Ford Garage of W R Davies is now.
I did look at the house opposite the Black Cat Garage but it isn't called Pen Sarn, at least it isn't now.
There is a Tithe map Of Llangystenin in the Conwy Archives that may shed some light on this location.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 12:41:19 am »
Cannot make it out I'v lost a farm trying to think how we got there in 1968 I know we walked it  with my dad and it was a long way do you think its by
 St. Cystennin's church LLANGYSTENNIN  because  they are in the church grave yard apart from Jane Ann Rogerson
Name:   William Hill Rogerson
[William Bell Rogerson]
Age in 1911:   32
Estimated Birth Year:   abt 1879
Relation to Head:   Head
Birth Place:   Bangor, Carnarvon, Wales
Civil parish:   Llangwstenin
County/Island:   Caernarvonshire
Street Address:   Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conway
Marital Status:   Married
Years Married:   4
Estimated Marriage Year:   1907
Registration district:   Conway
THANKS  so much for looking for me Anneelaine

Offline Hugo

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 11:23:04 am »
Everything points to the area where the Welsh Water building is now but as you are travelling to Glan Conwy from the Black Cat you pass the Welsh Water building and immediately afterwards on the right there is a long driveway going to a large white house that is near the Bird Reserve.
Is there any chance that this is Pen Sarn Farm?    Does anyone know the name of that property which had been up for sale for a long while? 

Offline Jack

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 12:52:26 pm »
If I'm thinking of the same house as you are talking about Hugo (the white house with a large green nissen hut in the garden?) then I don't think so as that was originally built as a tiny house for the ferryman and was extended in the 1970s and 80s to the size it is now.

Offline DVT

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 01:45:14 pm »
Referring to my previous post I reckon Pensarn Farm was near (opposite) the Black Cat Filling Station, as per the old map.  Llangystennin (Llangwstennin) Parish could well have included that property ... found this bit of info on http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11774 ...

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangystennin like this:

LLANGWSTENNIN, or LLAN-CYSTENYN, a parish in Conway district, Carnarvon; on the Chester and Holyhead railway, and on the river Conway, at the isthmus of the Rhos peninsula, 3 miles ENE of Conway. Posttown, Conway, Acres, 1,314; of which 64 are water. Real property, £1,787. Pop., 674. Houses, 161. Copper ore is mined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £145. * Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is dedicated to St. Constantine, and occupies the site of one alleged to have been founded before 330, by the Emperor Constantine. Cliarities, £16.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 03:57:57 pm »
If I'm thinking of the same house as you are talking about Hugo (the white house with a large green nissen hut in the garden?) then I don't think so as that was originally built as a tiny house for the ferryman and was extended in the 1970s and 80s to the size it is now.

If it wasn't that house Jack, then there is no other one near there and Pen Sarn may have been demolished.   The 1840 map I saw had Pen Sarn on the western side of the old road to Glan Conwy.  If it was on the eastern side of the road the farm would definitely have been in Llansanffraid and not Llangystenin.
I'm surprise that we haven't found out more about the farm by now.   I wonder if Dwsi knows anything about the farm and if it was demolished in the construction of the Welsh Water building?