Author Topic: What is the occupation?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline jom

What is the occupation?
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:39:34 am »
Struggling to read the occupation entry for Jane JONES father Moses of Maes.  I read "Since Baruer"  but that makes no sense.  Can anyone help?previously been noted as a sailor and subsequently a quarryman.  I think the first word is actually Lime, so something to do with quarrying?

Offline jom

Re: What is the occupation?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 02:10:09 am »
Could it be Lime Burner?  "Burned limestone (calcium carbonate) in kilns to produce lime for farmers, quicklime for making mortar and for tanneries to remove hair from hides" - this from a google search of old occupations

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 12:19:34 pm »
I ink I would go with Lime Burner. See:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=349676.0

Helig.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 03:57:40 pm »
I did a bit of research a couple of years ago and you are welcome to this extract.

What is a lime burner, you ask, well, he has one of the most unsavoury jobs around here.
He heats the lime to about 1000 degrees Centigrade in a kiln and when it has cooled, it is used in the making of building mortar and plaster.
The dust it produces causes blindness and burns to the skin.
The carbon monoxide given off during the process can kill and also cause giddiness and permanent damage to the brain.

http://www.medievaltravel.co.uk/jobs/limeburner.html

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:51:49 am »
Hello Tosh,... long time no hear!  :)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Tosh

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 11:43:20 am »
Fester, my learned friend, I've been a little bit busy of late but don't worry I have been keeping my eye on you all.
I will continue to chuck in my meagre contributions from time to time, if that's ok.
Hope business is good and I may pop in to annoy you when I come over that way.
Tosh

Offline jom

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 02:20:19 am »
Thanks folk!  I realised once I'd spent a little longer looking at it that I'd more or less figured.  thank you too for the extra info on lime burners.  Not been on the site for quite some time so my apologies for my late response.

Thanks again