Author Topic: Questions about people  (Read 50800 times)

Offline Rosy

Re: Questions about people
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2013, 03:43:03 pm »
Does anyone know where it was Carmen Sylva stayed when she visited Llandudno? Internet searchs drawing  blank ... :(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2013, 04:11:23 pm »
She stayed at the Marine Hotel.

Offline Rosy

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2013, 10:11:24 am »
Thanks Dave!

(What a woman. And what a life! - 'hardd, hafan, hedd' indeed! $walesflag$)

Offline roy

WALDINI / MAUREEN EVANS
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2013, 05:08:05 pm »
Some time ago one of your members said they had had the good fortune to buy a cine tape at a boot sale including Waldini Gypsy band in 1956.
I'm married to Maureen Evans and would love to get a copy.
(I have a video of a reunion which included a number of band members --- which I would happily make available)

Have you got that 1956 cine? Or any other relevant film for 1955,1956 or 1957?
Please help
Roy

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2013, 06:06:42 pm »
Is this link any help, Roy?

http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55.msg64291.html#msg64291

I may be able to put you in touch with Craig Ollerton, if you wish.

Offline iain789

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2014, 11:39:09 pm »
Hi people,  do any of you people remember the bailey family frin the orme.
And reg bailey who was a boat builder/ joiner

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2014, 03:11:30 pm »
There is a Reg Bailey living at Bishops Gate, block of Flats at the West end of the Oval llandudno, he has a daughter Mandy, who is/was a seamstress, who lived in a Flat in Madoc St. a few years ago. Hope this helps.   ££$
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline nettieaugusta

Clifton Road
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2014, 01:59:58 pm »
I have found out that my Great Grandmother Elizabeth Cartwright had a boarding house in Clifton Road in 1911, the family lived at Mount Haled, Clifton Road also her son and daughter in law Eddie and Victoria Cartwright had a boarding house in the same street named Glen Dale.  I have recently been in Llandudno and found the street but now the houses as they are numbered.  Can anyone help me identify the numbers of the houses.
Many thanks

Offline Hugo

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2014, 04:25:08 pm »
My G Grandparents also lived in Clifton Road and many of the houses there have also been renamed over the years.    At the end of Clifton Road is the old Lloyd Street School and that now houses the Conwy Archives,
In the Archives are Street Indexes and these may help.  The ones they have that may help to trace your relatives old houses are the ones for 1911, 1914, 1922,  1926 and 1929.    These Indexes list the name of the "breadwinner" and will be easy to find.
I'll have a look for you when I next visit the place, unless someone on here can help you beforehand.
The Archives are open Mon - Thurs so it will be next week before I can go there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2014, 07:04:44 pm »
Put Glendale Clifton Road Llandudno into Google and it comes up as No 25 and also No 26 and then you can do Google Street view and see which is correct
Nothing appeared for Mount Halen when I tried that so I'll look it up next week

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2014, 08:00:26 pm »
Mount Haled (not Halen) is 40 Clifton Road and Glendale is 26.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2014, 04:01:15 pm »
Thanks Cambrian      $good$

This is what the houses look like today.    No 26 Glen Dale is the one with the pink painting on the outside and No 40  Mount Haled is the other one at the end of the terrace.    The name Mount Haled is on the glass above the main door but is hard to make out in the photo and  the house has now been converted into flats.

Offline Jelly Baby

Re: Cobbler at Tan Wal, Penrhynside
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2015, 01:23:02 pm »
Does anyone remember the cobbler at Tan Wal in Penrhynside? My Mother used to go there when I was a kid in the early '50s. I used to love going there because the whole shop smelled of leather - one of those never-to-be-forgotten smells of childhood! He seemed awfully old to me as a small child, but I doubt he was much over 40 or 50.....
I can't remember his name but hopefully someone out there might!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2015, 06:00:07 pm »
I don't know much about Penrhynside but one of my walking books by Christopher Draper goes on to say this
" Tan Y Wal is another cottage with 18th Century origins. At one time this was the home of Huw Hughes, the village cobbler.   He was notorious for his habit of chewing tobacco, and waiting customers had to be alert so as to avoid the soggy projectiles of ejected tobacco"
Whether this is the person you are remembering, I don't know.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2015, 08:41:31 am »
I think he would have been fairly old to a child in the 1950s!  The cobbler was Hugh Hughes who died in 1963 at the age of 84.

There was another cobbler at "Sea View", Pendre Road, called John Jones who he died around 1945.