Author Topic: Questions about people  (Read 50665 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Questions about people
« on: October 19, 2010, 12:09:18 pm »
Anyone know what happened to the Modell family?  Mr Modell was the Rabbi at the synagogue in Church Walks in the 50's.  Susan attended St. George's School.  I think they moved to Bristol but it's a vague memory
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:10:59 pm by Ian »

Alice

Re: Susan Modell
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 12:41:18 pm »
Sorry cant help, it was before my time I was in St Georges in the 60s ....

Offline Trojan

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 04:03:36 pm »
I believe this was the synagogue. It's now used as a retreat centre.

Yorkie

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 04:34:40 pm »
Trojan - your belief is correct, it was indeed the Synagog!  Shalom!    :Sisyphus:

(NB to Ian - Can we have a Star of David smiley please?)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Questions about people?
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 07:59:32 am »
Trying to find someone or have a question about someone living or working in the area? Post it in here.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Questions about people?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 04:20:53 pm »
Miss Heaton

I have had a request about an elderly lady known only as Miss Heaton at this stage, but who is believed to live in Llandudno. Her late brother returned from Zimbabwe about 10 years ago and he possibly had some connection with bell ringing there.

If anyone can help, I shall be grateful as this enquiry is related to the forthcoming 50th anniversary of the Zimbabwe Guild of Church Bell Ringers to be held in Reading. Ringing is not possible at Harare Cathedral because the ringers there have been locked out of their tower for more than two years now.

Stan

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Waldini at Happy Valley
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:10:55 am »
I've been contacted by someone whose Father was a member of Waldini's band at Happy Valley and they were wondering if there was any footage of them performing available anywhere? I couldn't think of any or even of many still photos, to be honest. If anyone knows different, please let us know.  $thanx$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Waldini at Happy Valley
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:26:58 pm »
Well done for finding them, I will add the two photos into the Forum Gallery with the necessary attribution.

Orme Vixen

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 04:40:10 pm »
One of my great grand parents lived in a house named Grassendale in Mostyn Avenue, Llandudno.  I have walked up and down the street but cannot see it anywhere.   Can anyone help in locating it please, even if it has had a name change.  Thank you.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 05:30:43 pm »
Orme Vixen, the Conwy Archives in Lloyd Street has Street indexes for many years going back to 1911 and these Street indexes also list People's names alphabetically in them.  If you look for the names of either one of your G G Grandparents it might tell you where they lived. Alternatively look at the houses in Mostyn Avenue and see if you can see the name Grassingdale and that will give you the location.
Suepp has a 1929 Street Index and she has been great in locating info quickly so perhaps she may be able to find something for you.  I'm hoping to be in Llandudno tomorrow so I'll have a look for you if you haven't had the answer already.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 05:36:53 pm »
Orme Vixen, Grassendale was number 50 Mostyn Avenue in 1929, the home of  R.C.Baxter, Draper. Looking at Google earth it seems to have been converted into flats, and where the front door was is now a window.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 05:52:24 pm »
That was quick Suepp.

&well&

Orme Vixen

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 06:03:48 pm »
Very quick service, thank you very much.    $thanx$

Offline Trojan