Author Topic: Secrets of the Great Orme  (Read 16504 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Secrets of the Great Orme
« on: October 18, 2010, 08:30:56 pm »
This thread is an excuse for me to mention...

The Secrets of the Great Orme map, which is an essential purchase for anyone interested in the Great Orme (available from the Rest & Be Thankful Cafe):

[smg id=792]

[smg id=793]

...and also this YouTube video about Exploring the Great Orme which we talked about ages ago on the old forum but is always worth a watch:

The Great Orme Exploration

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Secrets of the Great Orme
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 09:47:14 pm »
When I clicked on the video, it started and after a few seconds stopped, then started and stopped again. It continued this pattern until I got fed-up and stopped it completely. This has happened on other video clips too. Is there a simple explanation?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:54:19 pm »
When I clicked on the video, it started and after a few seconds stopped, then started and stopped again. It continued this pattern until I got fed-up and stopped it completely. This has happened on other video clips too. Is there a simple explanation?
It's because the computer is not downloading enough information quickly enough to allow the video to play smoothly. Easiest way around it is to press Play, wait for playback to start, then immediately pause it. You'll see the red bar fill up along the bottom of the screen as the information is received. Wait until it's gone all the way across then press Play again and it should be fine.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:46:53 pm »
Thanks Dave, that seemed to work quite well.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 07:50:22 am »
It can be caused by a lot of factors, too; high contention rate, busy network, grotty exchange...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 07:28:38 pm »
I'm glad to see you have managed to rescue this video from the "Old" forum.   I watched this when it was first posted around, I suppose, a year ago. Recently I wanted to revisit it, so I went to YouTube. I did find it---but what I thought was an inferior version, cut down, poor audio generally a big disappointment.I even began to wonder was it the same video.  I even sent an email to the three producers telling them, I must check to see if they have replied.   Just to give you a quick laugh, I looked at some of their other productions. One was taken in Goa.  The main man coming out of an Indian Bank clutching a creditcard "I wanted some cash.They could'nt helpme, they put me through to a callcentre in Britain!!!"

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 09:09:04 pm »
Off topic I know but I rang up Admiral Insurance (see moans re Car insurance thread) after 6 pm only to find myself speaking to a young lady from Nova Scotia!

Offline jackiecj

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 08:36:29 pm »

The Secrets of the Great Orme map, which is an essential purchase for anyone interested in the Great Orme (available from the Rest & Be Thankful Cafe):

[smg id=792]

[smg id=793]

...and also this YouTube video about Exploring the Great Orme which we talked about ages ago on the old forum but is always worth a watch:

The Great Orme Exploration

The map is really good-well worth buying! Its full of useful info & interesting facts.
The Rest & Be thankful does a good coffee & homemade cakes too!!

I bought a map there last year-I don't know how they managed to fit so much onto it!

Does anyone by any chance have any more info on Tan-y-Nant-it is shown in the bottom left of the map-near to Llwynon Gardens. It talks of the lady baker calling people to bring their bread to bake by blowing on a shell horn. I was wondering if anyone had any dates for when this took place?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 09:05:29 pm »
It was about 1845. Tan Y Nant was a row of three small houses built in 1816 and the first one (Ty Pobty/Bakehouse) was the home of Marged Jones, who announced her baking with a blast on the shell at 11 o'clock. She only knew 4 English words (Yes, No, Good Morning) and that was more English than most of the inhabitants of Llandudno at that time knew. The second house housed Hugh Hughes and the third lived John &  Mally Owen, together with their 7 children.

Lots more can be found in 'Llandudno Before The Hotels' by Christopher Draper:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Llandudno-Before-Hotels-Christopher-Draper/dp/1845240952/

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 10:27:59 am »
A great book---can recommend it.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline jackiecj

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 02:45:21 pm »
Thanks for the extra information. I have just ordered one of those books you recommended.
I was interested because my 2xgreat-granny was living in the third house, with her three sons-Thomas, William & James, according to the 1881 census. Her husband Richard was registered at Clifton Court-as a gardener-(he had previously been a copper miner)

Online Hugo

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 11:57:32 am »
Thanks for the extra information. I have just ordered one of those books you recommended.
I was interested because my 2xgreat-granny was living in the third house, with her three sons-Thomas, William & James, according to the 1881 census. Her husband Richard was registered at Clifton Court-as a gardener-(he had previously been a copper miner)

It's a great book and I've looked at it so often that some of the pages are falling out!  One thing I noticed on pg 166 to pg170 was that Thomas Rowlands chronicled the lives of his friends and neighbours and he describes walking down Cwlach Street.  I've recently come across the 1841 Census and my G G Grandfather lived at 22 Queen Street but most of the other houses in the street have the address Bodhyfryd ( at least it looks like that name) so I don't know when the name came to be changed to Cwlach Street.
Also what is confusing me is that at Pg 170 Chris Draper refers to Queen Street, but  it is an elevated terrace of only four cottages which I believe are still there. By coincidence two of the residents are called Hughes but whether they are related to me I've yet to find out.

Online Hugo

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 04:32:36 pm »
I've rechecked and the Census year was 1861 not 1841    :-}}}

Offline sam

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 03:22:16 pm »

[smg id=792]

I have a copy of this somewhere in the depths of my endless boxes of "stuff". I was given it in the mid 90's and was told to look very closley at the illustrations around the map. The guy who gave it to me said he knew the artist (or had been told by someone who did) that he/she (the artist) had drawn in a few subtle "extras" that probably wouldn't be noticed unless they knew what they were looking for.....  *&( Can't remember now what they all are but definitely know what one of them is...  :-X  Are any other members aware of this? If not take a gooood look and see what you can discover ... hehehe  :twoface:   Edit: Not sure if the new edition would have the "extras" on it though... ??? Might have to dig around for my copy and check out the new one to compare them :roll:

Offline Jack

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 05:36:05 pm »
There was certainly a condom in amongst the wildlife around the edge of the map  :o