Author Topic: Vanished Cafes & Restaurants of Llandudno  (Read 43666 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: Vanished Cafes & Restaurants of Llandudno
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2012, 11:29:23 am »
Just to share my one abiding memory of Sumners in Llandudno. In the mid 1960s the downstairs part of the restaraunt was where we all used to meet for coffee on a Saturday morning. My grandmother met her firends there and it used to be packed out with people. In those days, most people smoked and the air was thick with blue cigarette smoke. At times, it was so bad you could hardly see across the room which wasn't very large at all.

The atmosphere was also thick with the buzz of gossip. The older ladies of the town gathered there and their main enjoyment, apart from the coffee, was to swop the juicy tales of the town.

There were two waitresses, I remember Megan, a small dark haired lady who was rushed off her feet. I cannot recall the name of the other person.

Sandbach's was the other gathering place for coffeee on Saturday morning. That was always considered second choice with Sumners having the best coffee and gossip!

Helig.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2012, 11:21:59 am »
A couple more vanished cafes and restaurants, these ones from 1955:

[smg id=3071]
72 Mostyn Street has seen a variety of catering uses over the years; Wimpy, National Milk Bar, Burger King and now Harveys New York Bar Grill.

[smg id=3074]

Offline temperancellandudno

« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2013, 04:44:50 pm »
Happy New Year everyone!

I recall the downstairs part of Sumners from around 1974 - it was always packed. But - did this part close down when the place was refurbished?

And - wasn't there a Sumners in Rhos-on-Sea; later called Chimes as I recall? I think that it was called that when I visited around 1991. There is still a cafe there but I can't recall what it is called.

Take care all

T

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2013, 05:19:25 pm »
Rhos - You're thinking of Pinningtons, I think? Their bakery was where William Hill is now in Rhos Road.

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2013, 10:59:04 pm »
Hi Dave

Yes, it could be, although my failing memory suggests it was Sumners, as i had been to the Llandudno one and thought that it was a branch...although, that's my memory for you!

I see that the lease of Chimes is for sale - and they state that Chimes has been operating for over 11 year - thus, since 2000.

Regards

T   

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2013, 02:41:01 pm »
Hello everyone

I was in Llandudno and Rhos yesterday. I see that Chimes is now Ambrosia. I wonder when that changed?

Talk about false memory - i could have sworn that was Sumners. About 1991?

Regards

T

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2014, 02:31:31 pm »
Hi
 I know the original post is a couple of years ago but only just found the picture on the site - Glyn was my uncle and he died in 1996 in Wormhoudt on a revisit 

Chris

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2014, 06:15:27 pm »
 ??? The likes of the Ritz, Sumners and Swiss Cafe were far to posh for us. When I was a bullock Mam used to take me to the National Milk Bar (between Marks and Sparks and the church) for a bi-annual treat. If we went for a cuppa, it was the Cocoa House or Gardner's. Wwhen working it was always Billy Wright's. Different worlds.   )*)&
Micox

Offline Helig

« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2014, 12:49:12 pm »
Hello Chris,

I have just seen your post about your uncle, Glyn. My mother was very friendly with Glyn, she attended his 21st birthday party and is in the photos. I seem to recall that Glyn worked for the railway after the war. My mother had worked for the LMS as did her father and other family members.

In the 1960s we visited Glyn and his family in their house in St David's Road, Llandudno. My mother was very fond of him as they had been friends for years, since childhood possibly.

Helig

Offline wardeworld

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2014, 10:57:22 pm »
Hi
Glyn did indeed work on the railway at Colwyn bay

Chris

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2018, 09:07:14 am »
Regarding the Venezia.  I noticed the other day that part of the stone facing that was a prominent feature of the "Ven" still survives as the boundary between Searles the Opticians and the adjoining one of Mr Lal's stores.

Offline Rolli

« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2020, 12:01:15 pm »
I remember Peggy Bleakley very well in the 70' s and her two sons. I was Deputy Manager of the St George's and I would occasionally drop in on my day off to Summers.  It might be heaving busy but she enjoyed a chat about respective businesses with a cheery " Come in Dear, sit down, tea, something to eat?" Richard looked run off his feet. Always gracious with people but super tough on standards and I may have inherited that partly from her.