Author Topic: Elias Family  (Read 81253 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Elias Family
« Reply #210 on: June 07, 2016, 10:29:24 pm »
It must be that beige coloured house on Google street view.   I couldn't see the number on the property to confirm that it is the one though but the house is in Trefriw and quite a few miles from Cwm Eigiau.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2016, 10:48:33 pm »
Thank you both - as ever of much assistance.  I walked past the Rhiwlas villas when I was there.  The Bartleet Rd in Redditch will certainly be named after the family, I visited Redditch also during my last visit.  bartleet as opposed to bartlett is unusual spelling so almost anyone with this spelling is usually connected.  Ernest was a younger son of the Bartleet family hence his move away from the family business to make his own way first to north wales then to nz almost certainly assisted by the family.  We also know his future wife attended boarding school although to date not sure where.  Either through her being at school or him being based nearby would seem to be possible ways of them first meeting.  He did not appear to be there very long at all which seems a little odd given the size of the farm that he appeared to have there.  It looks like I have another area to walk when i next visit!

thanks again and hugo yes very well thank you - hope you are the same

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #212 on: June 08, 2016, 06:01:38 am »

Offline sgbright

« Reply #213 on: June 08, 2016, 06:47:48 am »
Thanks Rhuddlan, there is a longer article as well about the wedding - a translation from Welsh is earlier up in this thread - a pretty amazing day including canon fire!  I have visited the Church - quite amazing

Offline Hugo

« Reply #214 on: June 08, 2016, 10:53:47 am »
Cwm Eigiau is a harsh place to live in, it's a wide valley and very long as Rhuddlan and myself can testify when we walked down the valley some time ago.!
I don't blame William Bartleet if he didn't live there but he had three shepherds  and they may have lived in a Hafodty to protect and look after the sheep.     A  Hafodty or Summer House is where they would have stayed in the Summer months but in the Winter they brought the sheep down to lower land for shelter from the harsh and severe Winters on those uplands.
There must be some records from the farm, tax or tithe and they may be in the Conwy Archives but I've never looked for any before.  I'll make enquiries when I go there next time.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #215 on: June 08, 2016, 12:56:09 pm »
Thanks again Hugo.  For those who have followed this post it is fascinating to know that there is a current controversy going in in new zealand about the ashes of Ernest and Sara Isobel Bartleet (known as Bella).  https://www.facebook.com/Honour-the-1800-1677207482539723/?fref=ts

thanks again

Offline Hugo

« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2016, 06:53:48 pm »
I did have a look in the Archives for the farm in Cwm Eigiau but drew a blank unfortunately.     There were no rate books there for around 1881 that could link William to a farm in that valley.
3000 acres is a large piece of land but that valley is poor grazing land and there are now only a few buildings intact, the rest are just ruins.
I've enclosed some photos of the three properties remaining intact and the first photo of the cottage  near the Cwm Eigiau dam is occupied but  the second (Cedryn) and third (Cwm Eigiau Cottage ) are not.
Our Winters haven't been too bad recently but you can see by the photos in January 2016 just what an inhospitable place it can be.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #217 on: June 17, 2016, 01:40:11 pm »
thanks Hugo.  Might explain what he wasn't there too long.  Maybe the sheep were too much for him!  Once he got to NZ I am pretty sure they switched to dairy farming.  thanks again

Offline sgbright

« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2016, 02:00:02 pm »
I wonder if this holds any clues? ..

Offline Hugo

« Reply #219 on: June 17, 2016, 02:26:01 pm »
Thanks Stuart but it doesn't give any info that may help to trace the farm.   We know from the Census records of 1881 that William was living in 2 Rhiwlas Villa Trefriw,   but Cwm Eigiau is nearer Dolgarrog than Trefriw and at one time there was a Parish boundary formed by a river separating the two towns.
In old records I've looked at Cwm Eigiau was for rate purposes, dealt with by Dolgarrog but William is shown as Cwm Eigiau Trefriw so it's all a mystery for me I'm afraid

Offline Hugo

« Reply #220 on: June 17, 2016, 02:44:04 pm »
You are probably aware of this Stuart but just in case you are not I'm posting this leaflet about Tithe Maps which may help in your research.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2016, 10:39:04 pm »
thanks again Hugo. much appreciated.  it doesn't help that he was there so briefly.  one day …

Offline sgbright

« Reply #222 on: August 21, 2016, 12:17:43 pm »
Hi Hugo

Perhaps we are getting closer …

Offline Hugo

« Reply #223 on: August 21, 2016, 01:42:19 pm »
That article is very helpful and fits in with what you have found out already.    The village to give it it's full title is Llanbedr y Cennin and is just south but very close to Gorswen and Rowen.
The Llanbedr Y Cennin fair was a popular market place for cattle and was listed in all the 18th century almanacs.
Cattlemen were accommodated in the White Hart which was located above Rowen and Llanbedr but the once busy drovers' Inn is just now a pile of stones.
I've had a quick look at my o/s map but can't see the farm listed on it but as it's Welsh name suggests it is in the right location of the Carneddau to be part of Cwm Eigiau.
Now I could be completely wrong with this but reading the advert again it refers to a "property" which I've taken to be one farm and that is Ty'nrhos Farms.
Again I could be wrong but Ty'nrhos Farms could be one farm with a number of buildings attached or it could be two farms Ty'nrhos Uchaf and Ty'nrhos Isaf.
I'll try and find out some more info about the farm(s)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2016, 02:07:07 pm »
I've just found this article which is a very interesting read and there is a reference in it to Ty'n rhos.   It is in the very last paragraph just above the notes.
It is definitely in Cwm Eigiau and appears to be in the area at the start of the valley

It must have been roughly in the area of these two photos

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=2146412562