Author Topic: Elias Family  (Read 81303 times)

Offline trishrob

Re: Elias Family
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2014, 06:07:47 pm »
Stuart (sgbright) will be absolutely delighted when he reads your post.   I met him in Penmaenmawr when he came over from Australia to do his research on the Elias family and his research is quite meticulous. 
You'll have a lot to talk about, so good luck with everything.       $good$

Thanks for putting us in touch. $good$

We certainly have lots to talk about. It'll be good to do a bit more myself, I've not picked it up for a while.
I'm not in Australia, I'd love to visit one day. My Great great grandma came back to Wales in 1890 , and funnily enough her daughter married a Roberts from Caernarfon and then settled in Llanfairfechan where taid was a bank manager, they lived up Park road, I think, a house called Plas Berllan.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2014, 11:50:02 am »
You're welcome Trishrob,  I've seen Stuart's family tree and it's very impressive indeed as you'll soon find out.
That house that your Taid and Nain lived at Plas Berllan is really nice and in a lovely part of Llanfairfechan.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2014, 06:27:41 pm »
I took this photo of  Plas Berllan in Park Road today.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2015, 10:11:51 am »
I have not been on here for a while.  I have been learning more and more but are now focusing on some new branches.  I am looking at some family members where deaths are referred to at  Tremorfa, Llangelynnin.  I can't see a place on maps around Llangelynnin and are wondering if instead Tremorfa was a property name.  Does anyone know?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2015, 10:32:02 am »
I have not been on here for a while.  I have been learning more and more but are now focusing on some new branches.  I am looking at some family members where deaths are referred to at  Tremorfa, Llangelynnin.  I can't see a place on maps around Llangelynnin and are wondering if instead Tremorfa was a property name.  Does anyone know?
It was a Township, on the other side of the B5106 to Llangelynnin itself.

Take a look at this map to see where it was:
https://goo.gl/maps/5tlrV

Offline sgbright

« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2015, 06:34:05 pm »
Great, thank you.  I see on that map there is  Tremorfa Farm.  Do you know if this is historic i.e. perhaps the basis for the old township.  In the Old Llangelynnin Church there are various prominent Evans memorials inside the church itself  which include xx Evans, Tremorfa.  Could they perhaps be the farm owners? 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2015, 10:57:15 pm »
It was a Township, on the other side of the B5106 to Llangelynnin itself.

Take a look at this map to see where it was:
https://goo.gl/maps/5tlrV

I did see this on another site   "In 1667 the tax record listed David Pugh, in the Township of Tre'r Morfa, the Parish of Llangelynnin, in the old county of Merioneth, on the western slope of Tyddyn Sheffrey, near the present town of Arthog."
Was there also a township of Tre'r Morfa  near Llangelynnin in Caernarfonshire    Dave

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2015, 07:53:55 am »
Tremorfa is a derivation of Tre yn y morfa.  In English, township in the morfa.  Morfa can have a few interpretations (bog, sea marsh, etc) but in this case would seem to relate to the grassy wetland abutting the river.

Hugo - Arthog is a very similar topographical area abutting the Mawddach so similarity of names would be not be unusual.  What is also interesting that is the two churches are dedicated to Celynin as well.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2015, 11:02:12 am »
Thanks for explaining that Cambrian,  I was a bit confused as I'd never heard of a township called Tre'r Morfa  near Conwy before.  I can see from Dave's map that Tre Morfa Farm is on the Tre Morfa Road and the land from the farm may have stretched to the river in days gone by. The river is tidal at that point so I can see where the morfa came from.
The farm is probably the one Stuart is looking for in his research in that case.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2015, 11:22:53 am »
I have not made a certain link yet but this is a memorial from inside the church almost certainly connected to my family.  Good to be chatting again Hugo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2015, 03:06:36 pm »
Nice to hear from you again Stuart and hope that you are keeping well down there in Oz.   Was that inscription on the wall or the floor because it looks like something you see when people are buried inside  the Church?
If it is on the floor then he must have been an important person in that Parish.
I've not heard of the farm but will have a look when I go past next, but that may be in a few weeks time.  The street view does not really give you a clear enough look to date the building.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2015, 10:41:16 pm »
I stopped at St Mary's Church in Caerhun on my way from Betws Y Coed today and had a look at the Elias family graves.   It was a lovely Winter's day and the snowdrops are now coming out.
The grave on the left is of Richard Evans (not the one listed in the church at Llangelynnin) the middle one is an Elias family grave but I wonder if the location  of the grave of Richard is just a coincidence or not

Offline sgbright

« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2015, 07:22:55 pm »
Thanks for that, it does look beautiful in winter.  I will have to look more closely at the Richard Evans link to see what I can see.  Was there a property name on the grave?  The Richard Evans I mentioned would have been Elias Jones grandfather.  The earliest reference I can see to Elias Jones and Gorswen is at around that time also noting that Elias' first wife Jane who would have been Richard's daughter died very young - i think about 1790 and is buried there - interestingly his second wife who also predeceased him was not buried there (from memory).  When I visited this year I did the Huw Tom walk which I am guessing in those days would have been roughly how they would have done the trip on horseback from Rowen to Penmaenmawr as I a guessing Elias Jones would have done often given his property interests in both locations.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2015, 10:42:49 pm »
I didn't really look at the inscription for long so I can't say whether there was an address or not but will check with the Burial Index next time I visit the archives.
Hope that the weather was good when you did the Huw Tom walk as it can be very exposed up there.