Author Topic: Elias Family  (Read 82421 times)

Offline sgbright

Re: Elias Family
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2013, 08:16:25 am »
I am virtually certain the following are pics of the couple whose marriage is discussed above.  Ernest William Bartleet and Sarah Isabella Elias - maybe even around the time of the marriage. 

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2013, 11:39:20 am »
I'm sure that you are correct Stuart as your research has been meticulous.     Did you establish any connection with any of the present day Elias family when you had your visit to Wales?
Hope that you weren't affected by the bush fires that we saw on the TV here.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2013, 11:16:07 am »
Hi Hugo..

Via a connection made at the archives I met one distant relative (descended from the same from Elias) but unfortunately there seems to be little trace of the Llanrwst branch.  I know that many twigs have hit dead ends but have not given up hope.

The real find quite by coincidence was that the lady above - my gg grandmother Sarah Isabella, her aunty Susannah married Thomas Gee and i met a descendant. I have seen a translation of a welsh book about thomas gee that talks about the Hughes family and the type of people they were.  I then spent a night in the house where they lived. 

cheers

Offline Hugo

« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2013, 03:52:04 pm »
Yesterday I received a Calendar for 2014 that Stuart had very kindly sent to me.  It was full of photos that he had taken on his visit to Wales earlier this year and had an attachment explaining each photo.   
His visit to Wales was very productive and it's nice to know that the trip was worthwhile.   I wouldn't be surprised if Stuart had another trip back to Wales in the future as there are still more questions than answers.
Thanks again Stuart for your very kind gesture and best wishes for the future.

Offline hollins

« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2013, 05:44:55 pm »
What a lovely surprise for you Hugo and well deserved.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2014, 08:38:01 pm »

While in NZ last week I visited the final resting place of Isabel and Ernest and also discovered that the home that they built in Auckland was named Gorswen after her home outside of Rowen Conwy Valley.  The are two watercolours in the family.  One by Henry Measham of Talybont and one from John Johnson who was part of the artist colony at Trefriw in the 1880s.  Interestingly both John Johnson and Ernest were in the 1881 census in Trefriw making it quite likely that he bought it from the artist.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2014, 11:08:40 am »
That's nice that they called their home in NZ  Gorswen,  a pleasant reminder of the home so far away in Wales.   I had not heard of the artists colony in Trefriw until you mentioned it so I looked it up on Google:-

The Artists' Colony The latter 19th century saw a number of artists living in Trefriw. The art movement, which had started in Betws-y-coed in the 1850s, popularized by David Cox, saw a movement down the valley following the arrival of the railway in Betws-y-coed. In 1871 William Barker lived in the village, and the 1881 census recorded another 8 artists living in the village, namely John Davies, Ben Fowler, Robert Goody, Julius Hare, Henry Hilton, John Johnson, James Morland and Henry Boberts.[7] Although artists continued to live here until after the turn of the century, like Betws-y-coed it became a victim of its own popularity. The movement therefore again re-established itself, this time at Tal-y-bont and Llanbedr-y-cennin, where its 40 members included those artists from Trefriw. Here in a building they set up an ‘Artists Club’, and its members were a strong influence on the formation of the Royal Cambrian Academy of Art, which moved into Plas Mawr, Conwy in 1886.[

Offline sgbright

« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2014, 06:49:31 pm »
Thanks Brian.  I did have a look at the census record.  They all show up in 1881 and some in 1891.  They weren't all young budding artists either, they seemed well established most older with families.  Henry Measham was English but in 1901 was showing as living Eglwys  Fach, Denbighshire.  From the back of the watercolour I thought Talybont.  I can't easily pinpoint Edlys Fach - do you know if they are close? 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2014, 10:50:30 pm »
Eglwysbach is on the opposite side of the river to Tal Y Bont.  ( same side as Maenan Abbey)  and is slightly inland from Tal Y Cafn.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2014, 12:06:26 am »
A photo Sarah Isabella Elias (later Bartleet) probably taken around 1880.  A good one to post on St David's Day weekend.

Edit: Photo removed at user's request.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:43:15 pm by DaveR »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2014, 06:07:16 pm »
A lovely photo Stuart and quite appropriate for this weekend.   I assume that the photo of Sarah Isabella was taken when she was single and living in Wales as I couldn't see a wedding ring on her finger

Offline sgbright

« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2014, 07:00:58 pm »
Hi Hugo.  that is my guess also which would put it in the early 1880s i would think.     

Offline trishrob

« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2014, 07:23:59 pm »
Hello, I stumbled on this forum after googling a particular Elias name and found this thread. I haven't read everything yet but what I have read hopefully there will be opportunity for mutual help to Sgbright.

I am a direct descendent of part of the Elias family who farmed Plas y Glyn in LLanfwrog near Holyhead and also later a farm close by called Penmynydd which still stands near the little church where a great deal of Elias family are buried.My side of the Elias family were part of the Llanrwst family and as such I have a lot of research papers on Llanrwst  and the Plas Y Glyn families.

Plas Y Glyn was originally owned and farmed by Thomas Glynne in the 1600's one of the sons of the Glynllifion estate , then the Elias family farmed it as tenants for a couple of hundred years, Penmynydd was farmed the same until my great grandfather bought it from the estate in the 1930's ( for £2000 I believe) as the lands were being sold off to pay crippling death duties.
I believe there are still some descendants living and working there , if not at Plas Y Glyn nearby at  Penrhyn Farm and caravan site  ( not sure though as I haven't been back to Anglesey for a few years)
Feel free to PM me .

The Elias I was looking for was a William who left  Llanfwrog in 1854 to make a new life in Ballarat Australia during the goldrush.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2014, 10:51:51 am »
Stuart (sgbright) will be absolutely delighted when he reads your post.   I met him in Penmaenmawr when he came over from Australia to do his research on the Elias family and his research is quite meticulous. 
You'll have a lot to talk about, so good luck with everything.       $good$

Offline sgbright

« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2014, 11:18:44 am »
Thanks Hugo for bringing this to my attention.  I have been keeping an eye on it but not too often.  Fancy another Australian following the same leads.  I have learned so much since I started this thread and are very keen to compare notes.  Almost certain that I am coming back this August / Sept.  regards for now