Author Topic: Elias Family  (Read 81299 times)

Offline sgbright

Re: Elias Family
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2013, 01:08:48 am »

Sarah Elias died in 1865 when my gg grandmother was only 2.  any assistance in a little translation of this would be much appreciated.

Online Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2013, 01:53:59 pm »
Hi Stuart,  it's old and very formal Welsh and I've tried to translate it in the context it was meant:-

"25th, Sarah, wife of Edward Elias, Esquire, Gorswen, near Conwy causing great sorrow to the family and their very wide circle in recognition of the long affliction suffered.
She suffered a long illness extremely quiet and uncomplaining and it is hoped that she died in gain"

The literal translation of "she died in gain"    I would take it to mean that it is hoped that all her suffering wasn't in vain.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2013, 01:24:32 am »

Thanks Hugo.  Much appreciated.  Its amazing whats out there to be found ..

Online Hugo

« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2013, 11:21:56 am »
Stuart, I was thinking again about the records that show William Elias and his children as being born in Plas Y Glyn Clynnog and I would be surprised if they were wrong but where is that address?
I was reading about the History of Glynllifon the other day and at one time the Glyn Family ( also Glynne) owned it and in the writings it referred to "Plas Y Glyn or Plas  Glynllifon as it is known" 
Now this is only a wild guess but your ancestors were very well connected to the Lord Newborough Estates and their Mansion of Glynllifon is massive.   Is there a possibility that they lived and worked on the Estate?
Clynnog Fawr or Clynnog as it is commonly known is a small but historically important village, but it is also the name of a Parish that covers a wider area and I wonder if Glanllifon is or was in that Parish and that may be the answer you are looking for.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2013, 10:38:26 pm »
Hi Hugo

Yes it is a little odd.  As an aside I see that Gorswen was owned by the Marquess of Anglesey. It turns out that it was tenanted by the family of Ann Jones the wife William Elias for a number of generations before the Elias.

Yours is a good possibility but it doesn't really explain the census birthplace for Edward or the Edward Elias (died 1812) will which says:

I, Edward Elias, of Plas y Glynn in the Parish of Llanfurog in the County of Anglesey, Farmer, being of sound mind, Memory and Understanding, Do make and Publish this my last will and Testament in manner following, that is to say,
I give and bequeath unto my wife Elizabeth Parry all my stock of Cattle, Horses, Chattles, Goods and Effects whatsoever and wheresoever the same may be or consist of which I am now possessed of, and being upon the Farms and Lands called Plas y Glynn and Blew Situate in the Parishes of Llanfurog  and Llanfflewyn in the said County of Anglesey. (note assume the former is actually Llanfwrog - translation error from handwritten will).

The old tree I sent you also says Plas Y Glyn Anglesey.  I think I sent you the page extract from the pedigree of families of anglesey and caernarvonshire publication.  this page is not very easy to read.  I am wondering whether in transcribing this into the histfam website someone has made an error - perhaps.

welcome your thoughts and thanks again for your interest and perseverance

« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2013, 11:21:56 AM »
Stuart, I was thinking again about the records that show William Elias and his children as being born in Plas Y Glyn Clynnog and I would be surprised if they were wrong but where is that address?
I was reading about the History of Glynllifon the other day and at one time the Glyn Family ( also Glynne) owned it and in the writings it referred to "Plas Y Glyn or Plas  Glynllifon as it is known" 
Now this is only a wild guess but your ancestors were very well connected to the Lord Newborough Estates and their Mansion of Glynllifon is massive.   Is there a possibility that they lived and worked on the Estate?
Clynnog Fawr or Clynnog as it is commonly known is a small but historically important village, but it is also the name of a Parish that covers a wider area and I wonder if Glanllifon is or was in that Parish and that may be the answer you are looking for.

Online Hugo

« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2013, 04:11:49 pm »
Stuart, if you want to check it out Bangor University Gwynedd have the papers for one of the Elias Family ( may be Thomas? )  Also find my past has the Baptism Records for Clynnog going back to the 1600's.  It's available on subscription but unfortunately I don't subscribe to it.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2013, 08:40:40 am »
Thanks Hugo.  There is so much info out there.  yes I had seen the Bangor papers.  there are some of the Jones family that married with the Elias family also.  so much to find out!

Offline sgbright

« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2013, 11:14:13 am »

Online Hugo

« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2013, 11:38:07 am »
Where's your post Stuart?     :)

This is what I was referring to and may give you the address where William Elias b1708 was born[/color]

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS EL

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Elias Family Papers

Short Title: Elias Family Papers

Creation date(s): 1612-1894

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 46 items

Name of creator(s): Elias family, especially Thomas Elias (1833-1901), and his great grandfather William Elias (1708-1787).

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Thomas Elias (1833-1901) of Llanrwst, Denbighshire, was well known as a local genealogist and antiquary. He was knowledgeable about Welsh archaeology and regularly contributed articles to newspapers; when the British Archaeological Society held their conference at Conwy in 1897, he contributed a paper on the abbeys and monasteries of the Conwy Valley. He was interested in local politics, and was a member of the Llanrwst Urban District Council, the Llanrwst Parish Council and was a governor of the Llanrwst County School. An obituary in the Welsh Coast Pioneer describes him as a staunch Conservative and Churchman. He operated a successful brewing business at Llanrwst, which was taken over after his death by his son, Arthur E. Elias, who was a painter

Offline sgbright

« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2013, 12:37:38 pm »

Thanks Hugo.  It is certainly on my list to do.  Another breakthrough tonight (my time).  If you go pack to page 1 down the bottom recall the mysterious photo that was taken visiting relatives in Wales in 1911.  We never knew who the photo was of.  Well attached is the census record from 1911 (coincidently same year as the visit) showing Sarah Isabella Elias (my grandmother)'s only remaining sister (Annie Pritchard) at that time.  She lives in Bangor (census matches back of photo), and has 2 servants of ages which by my eye may well match the two servants in the photograph.  Naturally could be a coincidence but seems pretty good to me.  I am feeling like a detective at this stage!

Offline sgbright

« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2013, 12:54:02 pm »
Sorry Hugo just saw your earlier query. It was an error. I had posted another death notice in Welsh but then realised it was another person by the same name. Regards stuart

Online Hugo

« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2013, 06:57:29 pm »
I don't know why but after reading a link on pg 1 I thought Gorswen was a black and white timbered style property but I went there a few days ago to see it, but no one was there that I could talk to so I just came away.
It's a large stone house with a commanding view over Rowen and parts of the Carneddau, a must for Stuart to see on his visit to Wales.      $walesflag$

Offline sgbright

« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2013, 01:05:25 pm »

Yes very impressive looking buildings.  Hard to date something like that but I am guessing 19th century - does anyone think they could be older.  The family involvement with this property seems to date from around 1750 to 1900 so am guessing the Elias family may have built these buildings.  At least at one point Gorswen was owned by the Marquess of Anglesey.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2013, 07:29:47 am »

I gather Edward Elias jnr died of malaria after returning from India at a young age.  If anyone would mind a rough translation it would be much appreciated.

Online Hugo

« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2013, 04:18:33 pm »
This is a rough translation but there is no mention of the illness in the notice.  I was a bit confused about one word "wr"  it is actually the mutated form of Gwr which in Welsh means man or husband.  As there is no mention of his wife then I have assumed it to mean man.   The modern term for man nowadays is dyn so I'll leave you to work the answer out:-

Rowen near Conwy
Burial Mr E Elias Jnr
We have the sad reference to the death of Mr Edward Elias youngest son of Edward Elias Esq  Gorswen near Conwy.  It happened the morning of last Sunday in London on his way home from East India.  He lost his health there about 2 months ago.  After landing at the Capital he lived for some three or four days.
Tuesday, his body will be buried in the mausoleum of the respected family in the Cemetery of the ancient Church of Caerhun near Conwy.When this happens many of the inhabitants of the neighbourhood will come to pay their final and kindest respects.
It isn't a year since he went from this country to an inmportant office in India.
He was an extremely pleasant and kind young man and he and his family were very much respected by all who knew them.