Author Topic: Elias Family  (Read 81243 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Elias Family
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 05:50:36 pm »
sgbright,  Just an update for you.  The newspaper article was written in an old style of Welsh but I have been able to translate it for you and all I need to do is check it again and type it up and post it here. I'll do that later today or tomorrow.

Secondly, I was in the Archives again and can confirm that your relatives were buried in the St Mary's Cemetery in Caerhun.  I then drove to Caerhun and took the photos of the graves. There are two graves next to each other and the first photo of the graves No A065 , the one with the chain link fencing has the following inscription although it is not clearly visible:-
Edward Elias
Sacred to the memory of Edward Elias Gorswen who departed this life January 2nd 1893 aged 70 years.
Also William Elias eldest son of the above born September 4th 1849 died September 5th 1894
Sacred to the memory of Sarah the beloved wife of Edward Elias Gorswen who died 25th July 1865 aged 43
Also Susannah Anne infant daughter of the above who died August 2nd 184-  (number not shown)

The second grave No C075 has this inscription:-
In loving memory of Edward, youngest son of Edward Elias of Gorswen who died May 19th 1878 aged 21 years
Also John Hughes Elias second son of Edward Elias Gorswen born August 5th 1852 died April 20th 1896
Also Jane, widow of the above J H Elias died 23rd July 1903

Inside the Church on the wall written on a wooden plaque is this tribute:-
In memory of Edward Elias of Gorswen in this Parish born May 8th 1822 died January 2nd 1893 and Sarah his wife died July 25th 1865 aged 43, Also of Edward youngest son of the above who died May 19th 1878 aged 21 years.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 06:33:52 pm »
This is my translation of the newspaper article and is as accurate as I can make it.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 06:34:03 pm »
Wow - thank you so much - isnt that an amazing find.  I am definately coming when I am over in late July August.  The plaque was such a bonus and thank you so much for taking the time to drive up, much appreciated. 

As I have continued looking at my ancestry in this part of wales - especially the material on the histfam site, it looks like there are a very many generations and branches in a fairly small area of north wales.  I will pull my thoughts together to make sure I make the most of my trip.  I have discovered the poet William Elias (a few generations up from Edward) is buried at Llanwrog, have asked archives to check and see if we can see where those who resided at Mearn Abbey may have been buried.

The thing I seem to be hitting a deadend on is the census record I posted.  The family lived at a property at Gorswen - it was 300 acres so not small.  Would you mind looking at the census record I posted above and let me know if it gives you any clues as to where it may have been.  it also lists surrounding properties.  Like the discussion of Mearn abbey above it would be interesting to know if it was their family property or whether it was part of the Lord Newborough estates that Edward and his father William were land managers for. 

I will slow down with the questions for you lol - last one for now would be where you think the must visits from a family history perspectives are - I already have some archives identified (including genealogical papers of an ancestor from around 1850) but am guessing there will be a local history centre somewhere that may cover this area.

Enough for now.  thanks again for all of your assistance and the trouble taken in the last few days

Regards

Stuart

Offline sgbright

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 06:41:42 pm »
Thanks again.  Isn't that translation so amazing.  And so sad also.  I am posting a photograph of the couple and their children in New Zealand.  I do know that they did make at least one (probably only one) trip home.  It would have been 15 to 20 years later as my great grandmother was in her late teens we understand and she was the eldest daughter.  Her father would have long since passed.  Thanks again

Offline Hugo

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:58 pm »
Gorswen  (Eng White Marsh)  is in Rowen and if you put into Google " gorswen Rowen"  click on J Roberts Gorswen Farm and you will see for yourself where it is and what it looks like now.
I've not heard of a place called Llanwrog but I do know of Llanfwrog and Llandwrog, would you mind checking the spelling please.
I'll have a look at your questions again as I'm watching the football on TV at the moment.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 10:54:06 pm »
Thanks again Hugo. much appreciated.  Very interesting looking home, hard to tell with my knowledge how old the property is.

Thanks again

Offline viv

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 11:36:45 pm »
What a lovely story - they don't do weddings like that any more. The family must have been so wellespected. Interesting to know that people managed to travel such vast distances - and the time it took to get there. You must be very proud of your roots!

Offline sgbright

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 01:33:29 am »
Yes indeed and still learning!  I loved the fact that they were firing canons!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 08:43:50 am »
Elias is a relatively rare name in this area so out of curiosity I looked as the residential listings in the Telephone directory for North West Wales. In total there are only 17 Elias' listed and there is only one listed in the Conwy Valley and that is H Elias of Llanrwst. Another 5 are listed in the Llandudno Colwyn Bay area but most are listed in the Llyn Peninsula area.

I mention Llandwrog before and that is in the Llyn Peninsula, it is where the small Caernarfon Airport is and also the large Estate of Glynllifon.      ?{}?    In fact a further 10 Elias' are listed in the area where I would describe as the Llyn Peninsula. ( It's the westerly arm of North Wales)

Perhaps it's Llandwrog in Gwynedd that the family moved to and the big estate of Glynllifon may have attracted them there. That's only my wild speculation as I've no proof whatsoever for this idea.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 08:48:26 am »
I've just checked Google for Glynllifon and you've guessed it.  Glynllifon was owned by Lord Newborough so this is another link for you to follow up.

Glynllifon is the name of the old estate which belonged to the Lords Newborough, near the village of Llandwrog on the main A499 road between Pwllheli and Caernarfon in Gwynedd, Wales The original mansion is now a privately owned Country House hotel and wedding venue

Offline sgbright

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 09:18:46 am »

HI, some good guesses there I suspect.  I attach Edward Ellias' death notice which discussed the Lord Newborough link. 

This is the link to William Elias the poet and yes sorry for the typo it was Llanfwrog.  Out of interest in that context to you think Plas-y-glyn is referring to an area/town or a house/property?  It features prominently in the histfam records over many generations.

http://wbo.llgc.org.uk/en/s-ELIA-WIL-1708.html

so much to learn about this family!

Offline sgbright

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 09:23:22 am »
sorry I forgot the death notice!  I am sorry it is hard to read.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:00 am »
Have a look at this link for Carnarvon Traders, there is a William Elias Jnr listed at Tyn Y Towyn  LLANFWROG listed in it. There are a number of other Elias' too.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carnarvontraders.com%2F&ei=9RY3Ub-mDMmt0QX5qoCYCQ&usg=AFQjCNGL3osTYtxDibmzEwLOHfkAPB2iBg&sig2=QB4VsUg5loKBt8FWg1ISbw

Offline sgbright

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 10:54:50 am »
Fantastic once again.  I wish all my branches were as interesting as these.  you certainly seem to know your way around. Thanks Stuart

Offline jane B

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 11:55:36 am »
Just wanted to say that this has been a great thread to follow. Speaking from experience the help offered on this forum is brilliant and the extra mile (literally!) that people go to is heartwarming. Well done again to Hugo for his Welsh translation, I love the fact they had Bara Brith ( a particular favourite of mine!).

Hope you enjoy your visit to the area when you come to the UK.