The Local > Genealogy & Research

Elias Family

(1/51) > >>

sgbright:

I am descended from the Elias family who lived at Caerhun for a number of generations and before that at Plas Y Glyn.  I am planning a trip to the area and would like to work out in advance what I might find of family interest.  From a funeral notice I suspect Edward Elias may be buried at St Mary's.  I cannot find any burial records online - if anyone knows a way to check that would be appreciated (died 1893).  If anyone knows of this family which I suspect remained in the areas for many subsequent generations I would be interested to hear.  Edward's father was William.   If there are any locals who would like to try to work out where a property is from census records please be in touch also.  Edward and his father William both managed the estates of Lord Newborough (that I have not researched yet).  William Elias was stated in the death notice to be from "The Abbey LLaarwel" - if anyone knows this it would be appreciated also.

At risk of asking too much I also have a newspaper article on the marriage of Ernest William Bartleet and Sarah Isobel Elias my great great grandparents.  It is however in Welsh which I cannot read (I live in Australia).  If anyone would be interest in translating it for me that would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hugo:
I don't know that area well or the Elias family but I do know the Church at Caerhun.  St Mary's is built in the corner of an old Roman fort and at this time of the year the graves are covered in Snowdrops (see photo)
The Burial records can be found at the Conwy Archives in Lloyd Street Llandudno and they have a list and location of each grave that has a headstone. They are easy to check as they are also listed alphabetically.   
 e-mail  archifau.archives@conwy.gov.uk          website http://www.conwy.gov.uk/archives
As regards the death notice from " The Abbey LLaarwel"  I have never heard of it and it is obviously spelt incorrectly as you don't get two "a's"  together in our Welsh alphabet.
If you can post the newspaper article on the marriage of Ernest and Sarah on here then I'm sure that it can be translated for you

Hugo:
It's only an afterthought but could LLarwel actually be LLanrwst which is across the river from the Lord Newborough estates?   

Hugo:
Another late afterthought,  Maenan Abbey in Maenan near Llanrwst is or was owned by Lord Newborough.    The Abbey was destroyed hundreds of years ago in the reign of Henry VIII and as far as I know burials were not made there in your relatives time but I may be wrong on that.

Hugo:
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.penmon.org%2Fpage33.htm&ei=1KAvUdgk49DRBdSOgaAG&usg=AFQjCNEQZbNOHbXjBzZf-oV_F8a4b8uEEw&sig2=FuTgj-0Ak2YLtV2Ed4HZtQ&bvm=bv.43148975,d.d2k

Have a look at this website of families in the Conwy Valley but you have to scroll far down to see John Elias who owned a Heifer that had been stolen by someone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version