Author Topic: Elias Family  (Read 81241 times)

Offline sgbright

Elias Family
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:51:23 am »

I am descended from the Elias family who lived at Caerhun for a number of generations and before that at Plas Y Glyn.  I am planning a trip to the area and would like to work out in advance what I might find of family interest.  From a funeral notice I suspect Edward Elias may be buried at St Mary's.  I cannot find any burial records online - if anyone knows a way to check that would be appreciated (died 1893).  If anyone knows of this family which I suspect remained in the areas for many subsequent generations I would be interested to hear.  Edward's father was William.   If there are any locals who would like to try to work out where a property is from census records please be in touch also.  Edward and his father William both managed the estates of Lord Newborough (that I have not researched yet).  William Elias was stated in the death notice to be from "The Abbey LLaarwel" - if anyone knows this it would be appreciated also.

At risk of asking too much I also have a newspaper article on the marriage of Ernest William Bartleet and Sarah Isobel Elias my great great grandparents.  It is however in Welsh which I cannot read (I live in Australia).  If anyone would be interest in translating it for me that would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Elias Family
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:25:09 pm »
I don't know that area well or the Elias family but I do know the Church at Caerhun.  St Mary's is built in the corner of an old Roman fort and at this time of the year the graves are covered in Snowdrops (see photo)
The Burial records can be found at the Conwy Archives in Lloyd Street Llandudno and they have a list and location of each grave that has a headstone. They are easy to check as they are also listed alphabetically.   
 e-mail  archifau.archives@conwy.gov.uk          website http://www.conwy.gov.uk/archives
As regards the death notice from " The Abbey LLaarwel"  I have never heard of it and it is obviously spelt incorrectly as you don't get two "a's"  together in our Welsh alphabet.
If you can post the newspaper article on the marriage of Ernest and Sarah on here then I'm sure that it can be translated for you

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:38:01 pm »
It's only an afterthought but could LLarwel actually be LLanrwst which is across the river from the Lord Newborough estates?   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:00:18 pm »
Another late afterthought,  Maenan Abbey in Maenan near Llanrwst is or was owned by Lord Newborough.    The Abbey was destroyed hundreds of years ago in the reign of Henry VIII and as far as I know burials were not made there in your relatives time but I may be wrong on that.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 06:32:05 pm »

Offline sgbright

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:46:16 am »
Thank you very much for all of that info.  In actual fact last night I hit the jackpot.  The Abbey you selected was correct.  When I read the history link on the Maern Abbey it finished by saying the Elias family built that property and occupied the site for most of the 19th century.  I will certainly be staying there when I visit.  William and then Edward Elias were the land managers for Lord Newborough for many years and saw one reference that pointed out they were related to him.  Very exciting.

Do you which would be the most likely burial location for folk residing in that area.  I have also found that William Elias way back in the mid 1800s was keen on genealogy and that his papers reside in the council archives also!  What a find!

I also attach the wedding article.  If you could translate this would be much appreciated.  It is quite long so I am guessing there might be some good information in there. 

Thanks again, I sense this is going to be one of the best branches to work on yet.  While my GG Grandmother emmigrated to New Zealand in what seems so long ago, my mother remembers her well and hence puts it all in perspective.  Kind regards  Stuart

Offline sgbright

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:49:07 am »
A follow on thought.  Do you know that the Abbey was owned by Lord Newborough.  The references I have seen suggested it was the Elias family although of course they may have been occupying it only as his manager of estates.  Thanks once again.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 11:29:26 am »
A follow on thought.  Do you know that the Abbey was owned by Lord Newborough.  The references I have seen suggested it was the Elias family although of course they may have been occupying it only as his manager of estates.  Thanks once again.

I put into Google "Maenan Abbey Lord Newborough" and took the 1st option and Lord Newborough is still the present owner of the property.   We often have meals at the Maenan Abbey and if you do go there I'm sure that you will enjoy your stay.

I had a walk in the mountains yesterday and stopped at St Mary's in Caerhun to look at the Snowdrops but didn't look for any graves there as I'm in Llandudno on Tuesday and it would be easier for me if I looked at the Burial Indexes there first of all.

I'm afraid that I couldn't open your link so I couldn't have a go at translating the article. Could you possibly scan it or something so that it can be posted like the photos are?

Offline sgbright

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 01:38:04 pm »
Hi   Thanks again.  I need to research more on the Lord Newborough link.   For some reason when I attach it only goes in as a link probably because there is too much text to go in as a pic.  if you could perhaps email me I can send it to you directly.

thanks again - I separately emailed archives to see if I can find any grave reference.

kind regards

Stuart

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 01:47:45 pm »
I'm unable to e-mail as I haven't got your e-mail address but don't post it on here though.  I'll try and get round the problem at this end.  Sometimes you can take photos of  cuttings and post them as photos on here. Is that possible?

The people at the Archives are very helpful but I'll have a look anyway and see if I can find it.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 07:50:13 pm »
Thanks for trying.  I will try a different formal also.  regards Stuart

Offline Hugo

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 10:36:54 am »
Thanks for posting it like that, unfortunately my printer appears to be having a problem but as soon as I can I'll try and translate it but it might be a few days before I do.
If anyone who is fluent in Welsh wants to do it sooner then that would be appreciated.  It's very detailed and is interesting to read and it sounds like a special event at the village and the service was conducted by Rev H E Cawley,  the brother in law of the young husband.

Offline sgbright

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 12:11:42 pm »
That would be much appreciated.  I can see that it makes reference to London and New Zealand so I am guessing they got married and immediately emigrated.  Such a fantastic fine.  Even though it was so long ago my mother remembers Sarah Isobel (referred to as Isobel) who was her great grandmother.  thanks again

Offline sgbright

1881 census - can anyone identify location?
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 08:54:58 pm »
Hi

Would anyone be able to identify the location of the Elias residence from the attached census record?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Stuart

Offline sgbright

Old Photograph
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 08:59:33 pm »

Attached is an old photograph.  Unfortunately other than some intelligent guessing we are not certain of the identity of the person or the servants.  However it is likely to be a member of the Elias family or some connection therewith.  If anyone has any observations about it - the dress, the type of bird, or anything else especially from a Welsh perspective that I might be missing it would be much appreciated.

regards  Stuart