Author Topic: ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno  (Read 89117 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #315 on: June 01, 2020, 11:59:15 pm »
That suggests problems for the Grand.

Britannia Hotel Group, the owners of The Grand, were technically insolvent before this latest crisis, so I can’t fathom how they haven’t folded already?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: June 02, 2020, 10:10:21 am »
That hotel site has huge potential, but I'm guessing it'll need a lot of work doing.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #317 on: June 03, 2020, 03:56:57 pm »
That hotel site has huge potential, but I'm guessing it'll need a lot of work doing.

Wasn't there some kind of agreement between the Grand Hotel and Waldron along the lines of if they didn't object to his monstrosity he'd do up the hotel afterwards?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #318 on: June 03, 2020, 04:49:48 pm »
Wonder where Waldron is getting all this money from, surely he didn't make that much from them houses in glanconwy, looking at his assets he hasn't got that much.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #319 on: June 04, 2020, 04:25:03 pm »
Wonder where Waldron is getting all this money from, surely he didn't make that much from them houses in glanconwy, looking at his assets he hasn't got that much.

I think Mr. Waldron is just the front man, although having said that he has told me, he actually bought the site himself.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #320 on: June 04, 2020, 04:58:06 pm »
I think their is more to this development behind the scenes, the real owner 🤔

Offline Hugo

« Reply #321 on: June 05, 2020, 03:40:38 pm »
I'm sure that I read on here somewhere that Waldron purchased this together with another person who paid a substantial amount towards the overall cost but I can't remember who the other person was or even if they were named
That apart I've said all along that Waldron couldn't fund this project himself, his age and the restrictions on building the place are against him so he may consider selling it on to a firm that could afford to do it

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: ASSETS to tourism in Snowdonia
« Reply #322 on: June 06, 2020, 10:59:10 am »
Tourism in Snowdonia is set to look very different after covid - and these are the big changes in the pipeline
The National Park is already working on plans to attract 'low impact' visitors who stay longer and spend more money.

An entirely new approach to tourism in Snowdonia is likely once the Covid crisis is over.

Long-running tensions between visitors and local communities have been brought into sharp focus by the lockdown, prompting Snowdonia National Park Authority (SNPA) to "explore options for recovery and renewal".

Key to this is a new marketing strategy designed to create high-value tourism with longer stays, greater spending and high-end facilities.

The long-term aim is to rid the region of “negative impact” visitors who are responsible for litter, gorse fires, sheep worrying and illegal off-roading.

SNPA stressed future tourism policies will not be tailored for the wealthy or designed to exclude the less well-off.

The park will always remain open to all and free to enter, said Helen Pye, SNPA's head of engagement.

Tourism is hugely important to the area but the lockdown had exposed fault-lines in host communities, many of which are concerned about the return of visitors,

“Many local residents have rediscovered peace and tranquillity, free from noise, traffic, litter and parking problems,"

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/coronavirus-lockdown-snowdonia-snowdon-tourism-18365640

Offline SteveH

Re: ASSETS to tourism in Snowdonia
« Reply #323 on: June 07, 2020, 10:28:14 am »
Snowdonia set for its own Eden Project - a 'world class' climate hub that looks like a giant doughnut
Plans by The Earth Project team of scientists will transform the site into a hi-tech visitor centre.

A multi-million pound visitor centre is proposed at the former Glyn Rhonwy slate mine next to Llyn Padarn in Llanberis.

The plans have been drawn up by backers of The Earth Project,  https://theearthproject.world/pandemic-people-and-planet/                   
a new platform for international scientists and other experts.

Cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/snowdonia-set-eden-project-world-18376524

Offline SteveH

Re: ASSETS to tourism in North Wales
« Reply #324 on: July 02, 2020, 09:55:22 am »
Adventure Parc Snowdonia will stay closed for the rest of 2020 - but vows to bounce back next year.

The surfing lagoon and indoor adventure centre said it could not operate under the current Welsh Government guidance for attractions.

But they promised they would gear up to re-launch in 2021 with the Hilton Garden Inn due to open on the site next April.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/adventure-parc-snowdonia-stay-closed-18525131

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: July 02, 2020, 10:35:32 am »
They certainly haven't had an easy ride since opening.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

Re: Tourism The new normal
« Reply #326 on: July 13, 2020, 10:41:08 am »
Holiday businesses in Wales have begun adjusting to the "new normal" with unprecedented levels of demand as lockdown restrictions ease.

Saturday saw the reopening of tourism across the country as self-contained accommodation providers were able to open cottages, bed and breakfasts and caravans for the first time since March.

The reopening during the summer holiday season comes as a major boost to businesses following months of uncertainty, with the country relying heavily on it.

Cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18578495.welsh-holiday-businesses-reopen-unprecedented-demand/

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #327 on: July 13, 2020, 11:03:26 am »
B&Bs may be open but if you can't serve breakfast in the dinning room and most don't have the facilities to serve in rooms (and who would want it) and customers can't go out for dinner its hardly "all systems go"

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: July 13, 2020, 11:07:23 am »
I wondered about hotels that have very large dining rooms and air con. 

Offline SteveH

Re Tourism The New Normal
« Reply #329 on: July 13, 2020, 11:19:20 am »
I wondered about hotels that have very large dining rooms and air con.

I see your point about space, but there is some evidence suggesting AC can do more harm than good, I remembered reading something awhile back "Can air conditioning spread the coronavirus?"  and it being better to turn it off, and open the windows. ?

A study linking coronavirus transmission to an air-conditioning unit has highlighted a potential challenge for restaurants and other businesses as the US takes steps to reopen from pandemic lockdown.
cont  https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/coronavirus-air-conditioning-droplets-spread-virus-a9487026.html