Author Topic: ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno  (Read 87195 times)

Offline Dave

Re: ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 02:33:46 pm »
Great Orme tram and Copper mines.

Snowdonia on the doorstep.

Conwy Castle

Conwy Quay

Bodnant Gardens

The cycle track

The North Wales Coastal footpath

Conwy mountain

Open top double decker bus tours

Marine Drive  Bus tours/ walk and the Rest and be Thankful

Conwy and Deganwy Marinas

Welsh Mountain Zoo

Rhos on Sea and Colwyn Bay beaches and promenades

Boat rides from Llandudno and Rhos for fishing trips.

They are all assets to Llandudno and why we are so lucky to live here and why people regularly come back to visit.

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 02:36:00 pm »
Two contrasting beaches within half a mile (one sandy family friendly, the other traditional Victorian)

Great walks direct from town centre (Great Orme, Nant y Gamar, coast path)

Great cycle routes from town in all directions ('flat' along the coast or as many hills as you want)

Windsurfing and kite surfing from West Shore

Kayaking from multiple locations

Sailing club

Copper Mine (this is globally significant)

Sea fishing from shore

Venue Cymru

Ski slope and toboggan run

Gun sights on the Orme

Goats

Rugby, football and cricket clubs

Town Band

Evening entertainment during the summer (male voice choir etc.)

And it makes a great base with easy access to Conwy, Snowdonia, Anglesey, Caernarfon, etc. etc.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 02:47:51 pm »
I think it is more long term, after the race, I had to go to Curry's, the whole area was empty, shop staff were outside chatting in the sun, the locals had kept away from town, so short term not an asset, it would be good to know if the hotels gained any trade? but I doubt it.
The cost of preparing the town, for this type of event,....... the removal and replacement of the traffic island comes to mind, a figure of £10.000 was mentioned, I said at the time why did they replace it, if the event is to return, a bit of common sense will be needed for the future.

I'm not sure you can measure the success of an event on how busy Currys was on the day (but I wonder if it ever gets busy on a Monday afternoon even when there isn't a major sporting event in town).  When my parents owned a shop in Llandudno their takings were completely wiped out on Extravaganza weekend to the extent they stopped bothering to open up while the event was on.  They were by no means alone.  So based on their experience the Extravangza isn't an asset to the town and should be scrapped forthwith (we should be so lucky  :-[).  The Tour will have an ongoing impact, not least thanks to the publicity which must have been worth tens of thousands alone.  Anyone who thinks it's all about what was spent on the day really hasn't got a clue.

Maybe Llandudno's biggest obstacle is that it's full of people who are living in the past and still believe that a bit of sand on the beach and a few flowers in a flower bed will be enough to get tourists flocking into town.  And maybe Llandudno's biggest asset is that it's largely flat which will make it easy for the OAPs to get around when all the hotels have closed down and being converted into even more granny flats.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 02:58:44 pm »
Top twenty on Tripadvisor.....1 Gt Orme...2 Prom...3 Orme tramway...4 Ormegolf....5 Homefront museum...6 Codmans Punch&Judy.....7 St. Johns.... 8 Happy Valley.... 9 St. Tudnos...10 Orme cable car.....11 West Shore....12 Orme Ski.....13 Bonkerz.....14 Little Orme....15 Venue cymry...16 Mostyn St.....17 The Pier ....18 Our Lady of the Star....19 Bodafon farm park.....20 North shore beach.

All great attractions, but what would you like to see in the future....

Offline SteveH

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 04:12:09 pm »
Asset to Llandudno....OAP'S...The Retired

Hi FA,
"not sure you can measure the success of an event on how busy Currys was on the day "
"I had to go to Curry's, the whole area was empty,"     I meant Mostyn Champneys RP was empty.
Maybe Llandudno's biggest obstacle is that it's full of people who are living in the past and still believe that a bit of sand on the beach and a few flowers in a flower bed will be enough to get tourists flocking into town.  And maybe Llandudno's biggest asset is that it's largely flat which will make it easy for the OAPs to get around when all the hotels have closed down and being converted into even more granny flats.

During my recent searches, I came across a  government piece about older people, living longer, outnumbering the young, but I cannot find it now, sorry, but the gist was....they are living longer,.... they have the money,..... and I believe they are the bread and butter of Llandudno,... if they keep coming,... and if some sand and flower beds is what it takes..great. and the more that come, means, that the hotels will stay open.
We moved back about a year ago, the amount we have spent locally, with shops and all trades is quite substantial, if multiplied by the number of retired people in similar circumstances, moving to the area,I feel, is an asset to the businesses and future employment of Llandudno.
I have read comments that there is not enough for the youngsters to do,.... PLEASE do not blame us for that, ...Llandudno is a great place to live, and retire to, and I hope will be for a long time to come.                                                         

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 04:31:46 pm »
Asset to Llandudno....OAP'S...The Retired

Hi FA,
"not sure you can measure the success of an event on how busy Currys was on the day "
"I had to go to Curry's, the whole area was empty,"     I meant Mostyn Champneys RP was empty.

During my recent searches, I came across a  government piece about older people, living longer, outnumbering the young, but I cannot find it now, sorry, but the gist was....they are living longer,.... they have the money,..... and I believe they are the bread and butter of Llandudno,... if they keep coming,... and if some sand and flower beds is what it takes..great. and the more that come, means, that the hotels will stay open.
We moved back about a year ago, the amount we have spent locally, with shops and all trades is quite substantial, if multiplied by the number of retired people in similar circumstances, moving to the area,I feel, is an asset to the businesses and future employment of Llandudno.
I have read comments that there is not enough for the youngsters to do,.... PLEASE do not blame us for that, ...Llandudno is a great place to live, and retire to, and I hope will be for a long time to come.                                                         

The next generation of old people are not going to be inclined to come to Llandudno - they have had their share of benidorm and costa del chavness and the cheap and ease of getting to those places will keep them going there despite their years.

Now...  young families on the other hand are a better prospect. It's no fun carting 4 or 5 youngsters across europe - the climate and food isn't good for them. A trip to the seaside is much more alluring for those people. We had a great time in Cornwall - twice this year. Southport was good as was Haven in Pwhelli (sorry for the spelling) - But a week in Llandudno for a family and they'd be bored out of their minds - even the superbowl is closing down.

What we need is stuff like

A Laser Quest/Bowling
A fair
Indoor arcade/entertainment
Small scale theatre or something to put on entrainments throughout the days and evenings.

If we don't get any of them things than FA is right in ten years Llandudno will have sweet FA in terms of visitors

Offline SteveH

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 05:05:49 pm »
HI B2R,  I hear what you and FA, are saying, about the younger side of things, and I've read your comments on other threads, the beaches, the entertainment etc, and I do not disagree with any of it, but I do object to the oldies being blamed, we do our part.
Llandudno is themed on a Victorian seaside attraction, which is what it is, it is its main feature, there are always comments on here about "keeping in character with the town" buildings etc but I do not see why young and older can not get along.

Maybe you should get a group together and push your ideas forward, try a thread on the forum, see what happens.                   
 ££$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 05:44:09 pm »
Conwy becomes "Host County" for Wales Rally GB.

A ceremonial finish will be held in Llandudno, which last year attracted 15,000 people into the resort.

The Welsh Government announced in January that up to £1.5 million a year will be provided to ensure the popular motoring event enjoys further success in the region over the next two years.

Cllr Graham Rees, portfolio holder for tourism, marketing and leisure, said: “Wales Rally GB will showcase across the world what Conwy County has to offer, and spectators coming to enjoy the event will mean a valuable boost to the local economy.

“This year we’re excited about bringing the Ceremonial Start to Colwyn Bay which will provide a new experience for Rally goers – accommodating thousands and thousands of fans in the spectacular setting of the £6.5m Eirias Stadium for a new look event and the chance to see the vehicles on display.

“And Llandudno will once again provide a wonderful backdrop to the Ceremonial Finish.”
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/137854/conwy-becomes-host-county-for-wales-rally-gb.aspx

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2014, 09:25:16 pm »
   Thanks Born2run for putting ormegolf as an asset. Not too sure about the "Crappy putting green on the West Shore".
   Whats crappy about it? Its got grass, a lot of holes with flags, and a lady to dish out golf clubs and balls. Mike

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 08:53:26 am »
Mike - you're an asset wherever you are  <:<:<:<
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2014, 11:03:10 am »
   Thanks Born2run for putting ormegolf as an asset. Not too sure about the "Crappy putting green on the West Shore".
   Whats crappy about it? Its got grass, a lot of holes with flags, and a lady to dish out golf clubs and balls. Mike

The putting green is ok to waste half an hour if you're into that sort of thing I'm just sad that it takes up all of the only decent lawn space in the whole area - where as most families have their own games they'd rather be playing.

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2014, 11:16:05 am »
I believe Llandudno has the potential to attract a range of different visitors, but it is very unlikely that it can satisfy everyone.  That being the case, it makes sense to me to have some target audiences.

I agree with BTR that people who want access to the activities he listed are going to be disappointed.  But I know that there are lots of young families that do not look for those types of thing when they select their holiday destination.  Abersoch does very well with young families, and definitely has none; and Rhosneigr on Anglesey is catching up fast.  I would expect that a lot of visitors to the area have laser quest etc. where they live and are looking for something different.  I think the main thing that stops them staying Llandudno is the accommodation.  Most families going to Abersoch or Rhosneigr will stay in a rented house or caravan; which I don't think are in great abundance in Llandudno.

The group that I would aim at is the ones that enjoy outdoor activities.  This actually covers a wide age range, from young adult through to the fit retired.  They tend to have a reasonable amount of money and are prepared to spend it on the things that help them enjoy the activities they do.  Llandudno is a great base with such a diverse range of activities within walking and easy driving distance.

One group of visitors to Llandudno that concerns me is the older day trippers who come on the coach.  They are only here for a couple of hours and their activities seem to be limited to a quick look in the 'bargain shops, an ice cream or chips and a sit on the prom.  It is very difficult because they like Llandudno because it is flat, but I just don't think they really contribute much.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2014, 11:22:51 am »
HI B2R,  I hear what you and FA, are saying, about the younger side of things, and I've read your comments on other threads, the beaches, the entertainment etc, and I do not disagree with any of it, but I do object to the oldies being blamed, we do our part.
Llandudno is themed on a Victorian seaside attraction, which is what it is, it is its main feature, there are always comments on here about "keeping in character with the town" buildings etc but I do not see why young and older can not get along.

Maybe you should get a group together and push your ideas forward, try a thread on the forum, see what happens.                   
 ££$

I don't think I've ever laid blame with the oldies Steve. If I have I apologise, it wouldn't have been my intention. I do acknowledge there is a lot of old people here though and it seems like most/all of the entertainment/facilities etc is geared towards them. The question is

I don't know if the entertainment etc is geared towards old people because only old people are here and come here
or do old people come here because the entertainment etc is geared towards them.

It's a chicken and egg thing - which leads on to my next question

Is there nothing on for young people because no young people come here or want entertainment
or do no young people come here because there is no entertainment for them.

I don't honestly know the answer Steve. But the points you have raised have opened my eyes a bit  $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 12:08:33 pm »
Hi B2R,    :)  liked your comments   :)
"Is there nothing on for young people because no young people come here or want entertainment
or do no young people come here because there is no entertainment for them."

You have two different groups, young people and young families, I don't know if Llandudno could ever be the place for "teenagers", but with a bit of drive, it could/should be better for young families, the activities you mentioned and others could be introduced, plus improving the existing ones.
Which brings up the question of the "Superbowl" why is it closing, in the wrong place, or not enough customers?.
If it's not enough custom, then investors might already know, that this is not the place for the activities you want.
I think as they say "Location Location Location" and that brings up the Pier Pavilion site, that would work.

££$ ££$

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2014, 12:44:55 pm »
A Laser quest - and entertainment centre on that site - Now you're talking  $good$

In Looe in Cornwall downstairs they had a kind of minature bowling - it was only a pound per person per game (you put the money in the slot so no need for people/booking etc) and was exactly the same as 10 pin bowling in all aspects except the balls and lanes were smaller. Was a lot of fun. I think a game like that would do really well in the summer.

I agree it's probably not going to be a place for teenagers etc - but with the arena being by far the biggest in the area when they put a gig on that will attract the youngsters they should be coming from as far west as Anglesey and even mid Wales.