Author Topic: ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno  (Read 89167 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #285 on: June 21, 2019, 10:13:31 am »
Do we have a URL for the W shore webcam, Andy?

I agree completely about the restaurants.  We need a really good one in Llandudno.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #286 on: June 21, 2019, 10:46:57 am »
Do we have a URL for the W shore webcam, Andy?

I use it quite a lot, it it has been posted on here before, and although I live close, it's handy to check on the wind conditions.........   search Westshore Cafe

http://www.westshorebeachcafe.com/webcam-in-llandudno/

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: June 21, 2019, 11:03:28 am »
Thanks, Steve. I'll add it to the links page.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #288 on: June 21, 2019, 06:29:05 pm »
Another local camera showing Llandudno Bay and the North Shore with up to date accurate weather can be found at https://www.webcamgalore.com/webcam/United-Kingdom/Llandudno/6686.html
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #289 on: June 21, 2019, 07:07:13 pm »
I'd already discovered that one, thanks, and added it plus the A55 webcams.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2019, 12:16:37 am »
I feel the coach parties do Llandudno no favour. They fill the hotels but the guests don't stray far into town because they are fully catered. Then every day they get on the coach and head out of town on a tour.

The pubs and restaurants are quiet because most of them are not very good. Most seem to be targetting the same market as the coach parties, who as above do not actually frequent them. I know Carlo in Craig y Don and he reckons he gets maximum one or two visitors a week from people staying at the County Hotel, which given its size and proximity is nothing.

My friends have just opened 3rd Space in Clonmel Street. Trying to offer something a bit different to Llandudno. Seems to have been well received by locals and visitors of all ages. Hope they can sustain it.

As for the weather forecast, Llandudno could do more itself. Webcams are a great way of showing people what the weather is really like. I use the one in Rhosneigr to see if it is worth heading over to Anglesey, but also what weather we are likely to be getting in the next couple of hours. There is a good webcam at West Shore. The town could have a few more and promote them via social media and a website to reassure people it is going to be worth heading here for the day/weekend etc. But it would require a sustained effort.

I wish the 3rd Space guys the best of luck, because Llandudno needs better bars and restaurants.
But Conwy now knocks all of these places into a cocked hat.
I had a great night out around Conwy with some friends, and when we returned to Llandudno late on in the evening, one of them insisted on trying 3rd Space.
To me, it was just a big square unappealing room with a bar in it.
Was I missing something?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

Re: ASSETS to tourism in North Wales
« Reply #291 on: July 03, 2019, 01:34:02 pm »
Demand to make North Wales one of UK's five new 'Tourism Zones'
Jim Jones, the managing director of North Wales Tourism, says region 'ticks all the boxes'

The UK’s first ever tourism sector deal has been announced with calls for North Wales to be made one of the five planned ‘Tourism Zones’ in Britain.
It also includes a pilot of up to five new Tourism Zones to drive visitor numbers across the country.

Zones will receive Government support for growing their local visitor economy, through initiatives like targeted support for product and promotion development, mentoring support to businesses and digital skills training. Cont.

Article plus comments  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/demand-make-north-wales-one-16523364

Offline SteveH

Re: ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno and North Walws
« Reply #292 on: July 17, 2019, 01:00:08 pm »
Zip World speeding towards record sales as adventure sector booms
'Proud Welshman' Sean Taylor said important to be contributing to local economy.

Zip World has seen turnover and profits soar as it heads for its most successful ever year.

The North Wales-based adventure company behind the fastest zip line in the world is on track to deliver revenues of £17m over the year - up from just under £11.5m in 2018.
This has seen staff levels now rise to more than 400 over peak periods with 93% of the workforce living locally.
Cont...... https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/zip-world-speeding-towards-record-16597240

Offline SteveH

Re: ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno ........and North Wales
« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2019, 01:46:40 pm »
Adventure Parc Snowdonia's spectacular £4m Adrenaline attraction unveiled.

Adrenaline Indoors is a huge weather-proof complex, featuring one of the longest artificial caving courses in the world.

It will include indoor and outdoor climbing and race walls, leaps of faith and some extreme slides. There are free fall jumps and even a tandem zip line.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-adventure-parc-snowdonias-spectacular-16674064

Offline SteveH

« Reply #294 on: August 25, 2019, 10:10:23 am »
Lonely Planet guide reveals the ultimate travel experiences in North Wales
Lonely Planet’s Ultimate United Kingdom Travelist 2019 book ranks the top 500 experiences in the UK for prospective visitors.

Of all the entries listed in the guide, a total of 47 are found in Wales - with many of these located in the north.
A total of 19 of the regions places made the cut - almost 4% of the entire list - with Snowdon ranking highest of them all.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/trips-breaks/lonely-planet-reveals-top-ultimate-16794262

Offline Dave

« Reply #295 on: August 25, 2019, 10:20:43 am »
Certainly lots of good publicity but those choices wouldn't be mine! Amazed Bodnant doesn't get a mention!

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #296 on: August 25, 2019, 12:51:55 pm »
Bodnant should certainly be higher than some of those, in my opinion, but I'm biased!!!

I also thought that Aberystwyth and Llanidloes/Machynlleth were in south Wales - county of Dyfed and Powys respectively - so how do they become two of the 19 in north Wales?

Offline SteveH

Re: ASSETS to tourism in North Wales
« Reply #297 on: September 17, 2019, 03:08:57 pm »
Conwy looks set to become the home of Wales’ first dog sledding adventure centre.

Customers will get the chance to be pulled by one of the dog top racing teams in the UK, the Xinaskyii Sled Dog Team.

X  It will see huskies pull wheeled sheds around a 13 acre moorland circuit.

It comprises 17 dogs, 11 Siberian Huskies, two Scandinavian Hounds, two Alaskan Huskies and a German Short Haired Pointer.

The woman behind the plans, Jolene Swiffen, said she hopes thrill seekers from across the UK will come for a taste of arctic adventure.
The Husky enthusiast has 18 years of experience working with the dogs and racing in teams around Europe.

“Mynydd Sleddog Adventures will be Wales’ first and only sled dog adventure centre, offering sled dog experiences and rides with our racing team surrounded by beautiful Welsh moorland.

“We will offer a range of adventures and experiences, targeted initially towards the adventure tourism market. We will be offering a ‘Race Team Adventure’, where an individual can have a ride on our passenger rig pulled by a six dog race team across the site, surrounded by the beautiful welsh scenery. “We will also offer a fantastic opportunity for children from the age of eight to have a ‘Mini Mushers Adventure’ and run a dog on a three-wheeled rig themselves.”
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/arctic-adventure-centre-come-north-16932354

X  "It will see huskies pull wheeled sheds around a 13 acre moorland circuit."      &shake&

Offline Dave

« Reply #298 on: September 17, 2019, 07:01:07 pm »
April 1st already!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #299 on: September 28, 2019, 09:04:39 am »
This is an interesting article which, which should possibly be on the "Points to ponder" thread ?

Tourism brings £904million lift to Conwy economy according to new STEAM figures.

CONWY’S booming tourist trade is on course to break the billion pound industry ceiling.

In 2018, the county hit the significant milestone of £904 million according a STEAM (Scarborough Tourism Economic Activity Monitor) report.

The latest figures show a rise of £41m on the previous year – an increase of five percent – garnered from an impressive 9.39 million visitors last year - making it the most visited county in North Wales.

Full article.   https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17932249.tourism-brings-904million-lift-conwy-economy-according-new-steam-figures/

Later in the piece, is this balanced quote  .........

"While 2018’s growth would appear to show a tourist trade in rude health, the chair of the Llandudno Hospitality Association and proprietor of the Seabourne Hotel has responded cautiously to the report.

Mr Jones said: “The figures are certainly very positive, but we have to recognize that they don’t present the full picture. They don’t prove the health of the Llandudno’s trade overall across the year, particularly with the increased business pressures the industry is facing nationwide.

“While the Llandudno’s hotels are close to capacity every year during the six weeks of the summer holidays, that doesn’t guarantee trade for the town’s restaurants and cafes in the off season which need to be successful to continue attracting people back to stay as the ‘bedroom’ of North Wales and benefit all the other businesses in the county.

“What the report does show the amount of day visitors in Conwy and North Wales, but they aren’t the one’s who spend money and go on to visit other attractions.

“We need to keep investing Llandudno and a resort to keep people coming back in the good months, and harnessing trade from residents is equally important to North Wales’ continued success.”