Author Topic: ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno  (Read 87166 times)

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno's Treasures....
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 08:04:21 pm »
As a youngster I was told that if it Rocked you were guilty? In those days it rocked easily, the last time I tried it, it would not move. I don't know what that tells you!   :-[  ???
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 08:20:45 pm »
My next nomination (and don't forget anyone can nominate a favourite place or business or person) is the Cabin Lift or Cable Car. The longest one in the UK, running from Happy Valley to the Summit of the Great Orme - its full history is on my blog:
http://llandudnoandcolwynbay.blogspot.com/2009/09/llandudno-cabin-lift.html
...but here's a great video showing highlights of the ride:

Llandudno Cable Car

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 08:31:47 pm »
It's at an area called Pen-y-Dinas, above Happy Valley Merddin.  At Pen y Dinas, hidden in the dense undergrowth are an indeterminate number of stone circles, and the defensive slopes of an ancient British hill fort.

Thanks for that Trojan *&( I'll revisit soon, I can't remember if it rocked for me (around 40 years ago now  L0L )
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 08:50:05 pm »
I'm intrigued by the photo of the rocking stone. Trojan have you any idea when it was taken?  Where is "Gateacre" the big house on the hill on the left hand side at the bottom of Llwynon road. The land looks already to start the build but no house. There's a familiar dormer window poking over the top of the right hand side of the stone but no Gateacre.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 08:58:55 pm »
It was taken on the 5th August 2003, according to the EXIF data contained within the photo.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 11:21:22 pm »
DAVE !!   What a great idea for a thread ... I wish I had thought of it !!!  .......(whilst sitting outside the Kings Head....with you.....last week)

Anyway, that aside ... I wish to add The Promenade itself.

It remains (and will always remain) an unspoiled sweep of beauty, due to the (sometimes) benevolent stranglehold Mostyn Estates have over the town.
How other seaside resorts must be envious , and now regret allowing uncontrolled commercial development on THEIR promenades.
Are you listening Rhyl?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 06:31:31 am »
It's at an area called Pen-y-Dinas, above Happy Valley Merddin.  At Pen y Dinas, hidden in the dense undergrowth are an indeterminate number of stone circles, and the defensive slopes of an ancient British hill fort.

Thanks for that Trojan *&( I'll revisit soon, I can't remember if it rocked for me (around 40 years ago now  L0L )

The stone has two Welsh names, Maen Sigl which is on the plaque attached to the stone, and Cryd Tudno (Tudno's Cradle)

Pennant wrote in 1774: "Near this place is Maen Sigl, rocking stone, a great one, whose point of contact with the ground is so small as to make it movable with the least touch"

It is said that St Tudno used the stone as a pulpit. (Must have been a rock'in minister)  D)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 06:53:06 am »
My next nomination (and don't forget anyone can nominate a favourite place or business or person) is the Cabin Lift or Cable Car. The longest one in the UK, running from Happy Valley to the Summit of the Great Orme - its full history is on my blog:
http://llandudnoandcolwynbay.blogspot.com/2009/09/llandudno-cabin-lift.html
...but here's a great video showing highlights of the ride:

Llandudno Cable Car

I also like this British Pathe clip of it's opening Dave. You can even see a show in progress at the Happy Valley Theatre, with crowds adorning Aberdeen Hill, which brought back memories. (You can tell the film had been spliced, as the first frame shows no crowd on the hill, and the second frame shows a packed hill)

(Either that or it was Alex Munro running up the hill with his collection box making the crowd disperse, then they all run back to the hill when he goes back on stage  L0L)

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=74723
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:02:49 am by Trojan »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 10:27:17 pm »
 $thanx$ Yes, you can also see that the shed the gondolas are in has no roof in the early shots, then has a roof when they show the long shot. I'd like to see some more films of Llandudno from the 50s to 70s, that's the period I find most interesting.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 10:31:17 pm »
My next nomination is the Haulfre Gardens Cafe. It may no longer be in the very capable hands of Pedro & Ann but sitting outside with a coffee, enjoying the views over Llandudno is still a pleasure. If the Welsh flag is flying, then you know it's open for business.

Haulfre Gardens Cafe by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

View over Llandudno:

Llandudno, North Wales by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 04:28:31 pm »

Thanks for that Trojan *&( I'll revisit soon, I can't remember if it rocked for me (around 40 years ago now  L0L )

We've just visited the Rocking Stone and for me it rocked just a little bit  D)  my other half could not move it though  :o L0L
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:20:38 am by Ian »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 08:21:45 am »
Just edited your post, M, to get the quotes to display correctly.  For some odd reason, one of the two 'terminators' was missing.  Strange.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 01:27:26 pm »
We are discussing the "Tour of Britain" cycle race, in "Obstacles to tourism" also the GB rally.

I think we need to debate the pros and cons of this type of event, separately.....
Does the cost equal the benefit.....
Is there a short term increase in business....
Is it a longer term investment....    ie. How many day visitors of the tour, will return for a longer stay,

I think it is more long term, after the race, I had to go to Curry's, the whole area was empty, shop staff were outside chatting in the sun, the locals had kept away from town, so short term not an asset, it would be good to know if the hotels gained any trade? but I doubt it.
The cost of preparing the town, for this type of event,....... the removal and replacement of the traffic island comes to mind, a figure of £10.000 was mentioned, I said at the time why did they replace it, if the event is to return, a bit of common sense will be needed for the future.

Overall I think we need this type of event, and we would be complaining if we did not get them, as you probably know, I am leaning towards a Town Manager/Business group to improve Llandudno,(see BID thread) and this is exactly the type of event I would expect to be organised.

So does cost equal benefit.                         $walesflag$

OTHER ASSETS PLEASE...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 01:44:50 pm »
The Punch and Judy man

West Shore Beach and park (Though they need to get rid of that crappy putting green and let visitors enjoy the lawn for their own games)

Mike's great orme golf course

Cable Cars

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 02:23:28 pm »
The Great Orme

The Pier

The Promenade

The children’s padding pool

The beach

The Little Orme