Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Insurance
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:51:39 pm »
We are planning to rent a property in France for 1 week in the Summer and have been asked to produce evidence of insurance against damage etc incurred whilst in the holiday property.
Has any one any knowledge or experience of this and where do I get the necessary cover? I understand they call it in France "extension Villegiature". 

Offline Yorkie

Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:47:53 am »
Pop into Gott and Wynne.
 ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 08:42:46 am »
Good advice from Yorkie but before you do that try speaking to your home insurer to see if your own policy can be extended to cover this risk abroad.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 12:06:39 pm »
Thanks Yorkie and Bri.

I spoke to my insurer Aviva and they say the home insurance does not extend to other property even on a temp. basis, unlike say car insurance. However the policy booklet does suggest some cover under public liability.

I then looked at internet sites some of which do have information about the issue and it does seem to be a bit of a problem area due mainly to French insurances not having the comprehensive cover that ours and other countries' policies have for landlord policies. I returned to the French property owner with my problem and he has said OK he will just rely on the damage deposit to cover any possible damage.

Other information I found suggested that a good comprehensive travel ins. policy might provide liability cover for this type of situation, but of course I think as Yorkie has pointed out here or elsewhere, for us older less healthy souls, travel ins. can become rather expensive.   

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 01:16:29 pm »
Don't forget the medical cover provided by a free EHIC is very valuable within the EU.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:00:31 pm »
Yes thanks Bri - we do have those.