The Local > Three Towns Policing Issues

Speed limits --- safety?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Yorkie:
We all have experiences relating to the Police and we all know that some of them take their powers a bit too seriously, but can I now pose other questions?

You said, "Before I left the A55 at the first Colwyn Bay junction, only around 200 yards away, this police car passed in the fast lane. AND HE WAS MOVING.   In excess of 70 m.p.h. No blue lights.  I don't suppose it was particularly dangerous, there was nothing in the outside lane. But, it was dark and it was wet."
and also you said, "Are they driving at high speed when it MAY BE dangerous to do so?  And in this case they were driving in excess of 70 mph, at my guess, in a 50 mph area ".

In answer to the first part I believe that they do not want to injure themselves or be involved in an accident and so most will drive accordingly, you say the road was clear.   Next, how qualified are you to judge the speed of another vehicle where you admit it was dark, it was raining and you were obviously concentrating on your own driving?  The car could have been doing 90 let alone 70+.

The same comments about the Police could also be levelled at the Paramedic Car, Ambulances, Fire Engines, the Coastguard, Blood Deliveries etc. all who are concerned with the preservation and saving of life.   We have to appreciate such services (that we could well need ourselves), and therefore accept that whatever they are doing is in the interests of the public, and society in general.

My last offence (in 2005) was doing 95 on the A55 when I was caught by an unmarked Police car.   My own fault completely but the officer who dealt with me could not have been more polite.  He had to travel at over 100 to apprehend me.   I paid my £60 and got my first 3 points ever.

Michael:
  Yorkie, I must take my hat off to you.I felt quite ashamed of myself starting this thread after reading your reply Mike

FatAndy:
I saw the speed camera van perched on the bridge between the RSPB and Tesco in the Junction yesterday looking down on the A55.  That's the first time I've ever seen them there and no doubt lots of people will be receiving unwelcome mail in the next 13 days  ;). 

dwsi:

--- Quote from: FatAndy on August 24, 2013, 01:48:51 pm ---I saw the speed camera van perched on the bridge between the RSPB and Tesco in the Junction yesterday looking down on the A55.  That's the first time I've ever seen them there and no doubt lots of people will be receiving unwelcome mail in the next 13 days  ;).

--- End quote ---

I wonder if they'll catch and fine the idiots that go 30mph between Tesco and Black Cat on the A55, more of a danger than speeding.

Gwynant:
              I was informed last night by a usually reliable source that there were several police camera vans positioned on numerous bridges on the A55 yesterday, ( allegedly 3 were spotted between Menai Bridge and Junction yesterday), but they were primarily being used for the Numberplate Recognition System, which tells them instantly if a vehicle is stolen or untaxed/uninsured etc and then they can be stopped further down the road.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version