Author Topic: Everything to do with Llandudno Junction  (Read 96050 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Llandudno Junction
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2011, 09:20:59 pm »
Thanks Dave. I'm not a great enthusiast but I suppose nostalgia gets the better of me and I quite like to a steam train if one is in the area.

And now you have given me the link, I can see what's coming this way in the foreseeable future.

Offline viv

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2011, 09:27:19 pm »
I recall in the old forum, there was an inquiry by Hugo who was in search of a hotel believed to be named the North Western. This OS map of the area from 1900 shows the Ferry Farm Hotel on one side of the crossing and the Junction Hotel on the other, with no trace of a North Western Hotel.

The only North Western that I know about was the building now called the Tudno Castle, also closed, by Bog Island in Llandudno - easy to confuse Llandudno and Llandudno Junction!

Offline GwynHughes

• have a big interest in local history
    • soccerscrapbook
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2011, 09:20:56 pm »
Hi , I'm new to this site , I'm investigating a military aircraft accident which happened near the ford way back in Feb 1944 ...5 fatalities ..and have recently contacted three eye witnesses to this tragic event, but we need to clarify exactly where the plane came down ( into a pond/bog which does not exsist anymore due to the culvert being built to prevent any more flooding in the Meadows estate nearby ....if anyone can supply me with an early aerial shot of the Marl Hall or the surrounding area please forward it on here .

I have these postcard pics of the Ford (you can follow my progress in this investigation on my FB ) .....
I'm hoping to do a talk on this some time next Sept.2012 for the Grwp Hanes Deganwy History Group ..which is advertised regularly in the N.W.W.News once a month under Deganwy ...anyone with any information can please forward here or on our web site...
www.deganwyarchive.co.uk/historygroup

Gwyn
ogh23 -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2011, 10:22:01 pm »
Very interesting, I remember that ford well. Maybe Dwsi can come up trumps with a map?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Avro Anson 1944
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2011, 11:25:13 pm »
I was lucky enough to be invited along earlier today to the site and it was very interesting to hear the accounts from two of the three eye witnesses about this 1944 accident.

One individual recalled seeing the aeroplane in difficulty somewhere between Maesdu Golf Club and the Deganwy Vardre while the other gentleman remembered seeing a parachute hanging from a tree very near Marl Stream after the crash.

I wish Gwyn well with his research and also listening to his talk later next year.

Meanwhile, I hope Gwyn’s post above will help jog the memories of some of our older forum members and encourage them to come forward with further information to assist Gwyn.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2011, 12:40:02 am »
Map of the area surrounding the ford

Offline dwsi

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2011, 12:44:48 am »
BBC - North East Wales Ask a Local - WWII http://bbc.in/vBTY6o

TOL Bagillt
Hi Mike, Conway. I have located a reference on my records regarding the enquiry which you made regarding an Avro Anson which crashed at Marl Farm, Llandudno Junction, on the 15 February 1944. The information I have reads as follows: '18th February 1944: Part of an aircraft found on the foreshore at Colwyn Bay. Believed to have dropped off a bomber which crashed at Llandudno Junction, in Caernarvonshire'. Further comments are 'This refers to Avro Anson No N5180 which crashed at Marl Farm, Llandudno Junction, 15th February 1944'. I hope this information assists you in your enquiry. Regards TOL
Thu Jul 26 09:04:07 2007

Mike Sargent, Conwy
Has there ever been a record kept of an Avro Anson which crashed near Marl Farm, Llandudno Junction around 44/45? The aircraft was on a navigational training. I saw it crash. It seemed that the aircraft was over stressed. As the wings were torn off outboard of the engines whilst in the air. The noise it made when the wings came off was just like a large vehicle skidding with all its wheels locked. The aircraft tipped vertically nose down and dived straight into the ground, killing all on board.
Mon Jul 23 12:17:51 2007

Offline GwynHughes

• have a big interest in local history
    • soccerscrapbook
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2011, 01:10:51 am »
thanks DWSI , VERY HELPFUL... WOULD LOVE AN AERIAL SHOT , WONDER HOW I COULD TRACE WHOEVER TOOK THIS POSTCARD SHOT OF WOODLANDS SCHOOL JUST UP THE ROAD , SURELY HE WOULD OF INCLUDED MARL HALL AND BODYSGALLEN HALL IN HIS/HER PORTFOLIO
ogh23 -

Offline dwsi

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2011, 01:41:38 am »
this might help -> Picasa Web Albums - G J http://bit.ly/tjjzie

and off-topic - Woodlands School magazines 1957 & 1956 -> Picasa Web Albums - G J http://bit.ly/uzy6A5

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2011, 09:37:21 am »
Welcome to the Forum, Gwyn.  Good luck with your research, it sounds an interesting story.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2012, 12:37:49 pm »
A shame to hear that the Arriva Bus Depot in Llandudno Junction is closing.  :(

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2012, 12:44:45 pm »
That's a shame. The subject came up often when I worked there in the 90s but it never came to fruition, looks like their luck has finally run out. It was proposed that they run the operation from the trading estate in Junction so I guess a similar thing will now happen.
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2012, 12:48:56 pm »
Everything is going to their new site in Bangor, I think.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2012, 12:56:56 pm »
I never bought the NWWN this morning but have just read the item on their website.
I can't see how they can run the whole operation from Bangor without having some buses based more locally to cover the earliest of local/Llanrwst services otherwise there will be a lot of dead mileage moving empty buses into place first thing each morning.
I wonder if the drivers are being financially compensated for the extra mileage costs they will now have to incur each day to get to/from work? Somehow I think I sadly know the answer!
Valar Morghulis

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2012, 01:05:04 pm »
You're right, but I believe that is the plan. They might run services like the 15 from Rhyl Depot maybe?