Author Topic: Everything to do with Llandudno Junction  (Read 95852 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Llandudno Junction
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2010, 06:26:28 pm »
The very same.  I have also seen him doing a "dance" by Maesdu Golf Club's roadside (maintenance??) buildings.

I think it would be true to that he is a little eccentric!!! ;D ;D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2010, 07:43:37 pm »
It's Nov 26th Ian.....everything alright? Must be working on the lines again resulting in delays.

Just a few leaves. Wrong kind, though...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 06:33:08 pm »
 D) Anyone remember the Junction YWCA? Used to bike there from Llandudno every night it was open. Had a good mate, Paul Taylor (now a limo magnate in New York) whose parents owned the tobacconist in Oswald's Buildings. We would regularly go for walks through the gate by the ford in Marl Lane (beautiful place now lost) and a couple of times went for midnight moonlight rambles through Marl Woods to the stone outcrop in the middle. From YWs I particularly remember Benny, who had a complete collection of Frankie Laine 78s, Marilyn Jones, Hilary Jones and Naida Williams. Great place.  :twoface:   
Micox

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 08:31:33 pm »
I was told a couple of years ago that at one time Jonny Pongo was a professional footballer until  he damaged his leg, is this true ? He must be fit as you like he cycles everywhere.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline dwsi

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 06:21:38 pm »
Victoria drive from Ferndale road to Y Glyn will closed to all traffic between 0700 and 1900 on the 21/02 to 25/02. Is there anyone out there looking forward to the chaos it's going to cause?  ;D

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 06:44:15 pm »
D) Anyone remember the Junction YWCA?     

I remember it well.

In fact, I captained their table tennis team in the local league in the late sixties.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 01:42:32 pm »
"Conwy County Borough Council and the Welsh Assembly Government have prepared a £400,000 Streetscape Enhancement Scheme for Conway Road, as part of the ongoing regeneration of Llandudno Junction. The work involves an overall upgrade of Conway Road, including clearing overgrowth, tackling unsightly areas and providing new planting. Pavements will be refurbished and renewed where needed and new streetlamps, signage and new street furniture will be installed."
http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=142&doc=28238&Language=1

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't all this area completely refurbished a few years ago when Tesco opened - new pavements, street lighting, signage etc? What has Llandudno Junction got that other parts of the County haven't? After all, places like Rhos On Sea haven't seen any work whatsoever in the last 20+ years! Answers on a postcard please to Mike Priestley, the Cabinet Member for the Environment, c/o his Llandudno Junction ward....  :o :laugh:

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 02:24:28 pm »
I was told a couple of years ago that at one time Jonny Pongo was a professional footballer until  he damaged his leg, is this true ? He must be fit as you like he cycles everywhere.

Not professional - I think he used to play for Conwy. But I did hear he had trials at Manchester United - I think went to the academy or something but left because he was homesick - he knows a lot about football, he often winss bets at the bookies

Offline Trojan

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 02:55:51 am »
Some photos of the Hotpoint factory, Llandudno Junction - once a major local employer and now, sadly, just a memory.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 01:51:16 pm »
My dad was a foreman in that very building but decided to jump ship once they moved to Bodelwyddan.
The rest of the factory moved first if my memory is correct and the machine shop was last to close.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Trojan

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 06:47:50 pm »
My dad was a foreman in that very building but decided to jump ship once they moved to Bodelwyddan.
The rest of the factory moved first if my memory is correct and the machine shop was last to close.

I think you're right in saying the machine shop was the last to close.

Christmas time was always eventful around the pubs in Llandudno when Hotpoint & Quinton Hazell worker's were on their 'Christmas doo's'. Quinton Hazell is still going but only has a fraction of the workforce that it once had.

This must be the Junction Hotpoint's most famous employee. He worked there when he was 17 years old:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 07:52:41 pm »
Looking at the Hotpoint pics, it's amazing how quickly you forget what these places were like.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 08:07:58 pm »
Looking at the Hotpoint pics, it's amazing how quickly you forget what these places were like.

Yes, you certainly do. Here's a photo of the older part of the factory off Conway Road, which was painted white with Booker Cash & Carry in the foreground:

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2011, 08:55:10 pm »
Got a job on the washing machine production line at Hotpoint. Lasted two weeks and got out just before the commonly experienced transfer to Denbigh! My mate Harry Lees who joined with me got in with the union in a big way. Ended up the Regional Secretary of GMB in the South West. Now lives in luxurious retirement in Cornwall. Good lad Brother Lees!
Micox

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2011, 10:27:13 pm »
I noticed a "sold" sign on the old Mercedes garage premises tonight. Anyone know what's happening there?