Author Topic: Everything to do with Llandudno Junction  (Read 95980 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Llandudno Junction
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2016, 03:27:17 pm »
Oh wow Dave, those photos are fantastic.
I have tried to take photos of murmurations but with hopeless results.
Thank you for sharing them with us and for the tips on seeing this spectacle for real.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2016, 10:48:05 am »
Llandudno Junction £40m superstore plan moves a step closer

A £40 million superstore and restaurant complex is a step closer to reality after the proposals cleared a major hurdle in the planning process.
Conwy County Borough Council gave outline planning permission to the scheme in Llandudno Junction last month but the Welsh Government wanted to decide whether to “call it in” because it was so important.
Now the Welsh Government has decided that the scheme is only of “local” importance” and decided against ruling on it themselves.

Tesco and Morrisons had claimed the scheme would harm local town centres.
The owner of the Junction Leisure Park (Legal & General), which would see a road cut across their site and Pizza Hut relocated, also wrote to object along with Llandudno landowner Mostyn Estates, Parc Llandudno and fast food giants McDonald’s and KFC.

This latest move from the Welsh Government helps paves the way for an operator to develop the former Brickworks Site on Tre Marl Industrial Estate.
Several chains ruled themselves out before outline planning permission was secured for a superstore unit, petrol filling station, four restaurant units, including one to replace an existing one. There would also be a link road to the A55.

The Welsh Government said that although there are “issues concerning the retail impact” the council “appears to have satisfied itself of the proposal’s possible benefits”.
It adds that a flood risk for up to a quarter of the site can be managed.

Clare Dicks, a decisions manager acting on behalf of the Minister for Natural Resources, told Conwy Council on March 24 that the issues are local.
She wrote: "In view of this, I do not consider that the application should be called in for determination by the Welsh Ministers and it is now for your council to determine the application as it sees it."

Cllr Chris Cater, Conwy Council planning committee chairman, told the Daily Post: "The application has been approved and will go ahead."
Local Cllr Meirion Hughes, said “on balance” the scheme would be a “good thing” for Llandudno Junction with the creation of up to 300 jobs.

It is believed that one condition of any supermarket firm taking on the site would be that they would not be allowed to run a Post Office. There is already a branch on Conway Road in Llandudno Junction.
But he urged caution.
He added: “It’s still down to the markets and whether there’s somebody out there who wants it (the site).”

Cllr Mike Priestley, who also represents Llandudno Junction, said he is concerned for the existing traders in the area.
He said: “It’s fair to say a lot of businesses in Llandudno Junction have got hardened to the effects of Tesco but I agree we need some sort of protection for businesses in Llandudno Junction.”

The project is being developed by Conygar Investment Company PLC.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-junction-40m-superstore-plan-11110024

Offline SteveH

« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2016, 05:18:37 pm »
Llandudno Junction Premier Inn wants 22 bedroom extension due to surging demand.

The company says that the hotel close to the A55 is one of the best performing in the region in terms of occupancy.
Now they want to add another 22 bedrooms to the hotel to meet demand - taking the total number of rooms to 81.

The firm says it will create extra jobs at the hotel and also further support the attached Afon Conwy restaurant.
Under the plans they would add an extension to the existing hotel site.
A spokesman said: "The proposed extension will create new jobs, both during the construction phase and in the form of additional hotel and restaurant staff in reception, room maintenance, building maintenance and security.

"Additional visitors to the area will also generate income for local businesses in the wider area, as some guests will look beyond the site to spend their time, take meals, and other purchases."

Premier Inn is also due to start work on a £10m project to redevelop the Tudno Castle hotel in Llandudno
ref DP

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2016, 10:52:16 am »
And to think that site was available for quite a while with no takers initially.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2016, 12:46:36 pm »
Barclays Bank is circulating customers to advise that the Llandudno Junction branch will close on Friday 2 December.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2016, 08:38:46 pm »
Hello Bellringer. I thought it was closing end of September, not December.
  Never mind. This makes me feel old. In the late 1950's I worked on the counter in Barclays, Conwy. We had several business customers from the junction. One, John Chard, used to walk every day rom the Ffyes bananas storage to us. All used to moan constantly that the Junction had Midland and Nat.Prov but no Barclays. So eventually, around about 1968 Barclays gave in and opened in the present building.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2016, 09:43:58 pm »
Hello Mike. My letter definitely says Friday 2 December.
I worked in local Barclays branches from 1983 till retirement in 1995 but mainly 84 Mostyn Street.
I was interested a while ago when you posted about working in the Conwy branch, premises which are now Edwards the Butchers. So in recent years Barclays has closed branches at Old Colwyn, Rhos on Sea, Conwy and now the Junction. Of course there was also the sub branch at the Dolgarrog Aluminium works which operated on a couple of days a week. That closed quite a while before the works closed down.
How things change!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2016, 07:42:34 pm »
  First I have ever heard about the Aluminium works. But I do remember my Dad who at that time was manager at Rhos trying hard to get a counter in the Ministry of Food Meat and livestock offices. Newly built in Dinerth Road. Now as far as I know local government offices. I think he fancied something like two days a week, but it never came to anything because by around the end of the 1940s the Min of Food had all moved back to Guildford their home at the start of the war.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2016, 03:27:03 pm »
Travellers have set up camp at a Llandudno Junction car dealership.

They arrived at about 6pm on Sunday at Premier Toyota’s site on the Tre Marl industrial estate.
Three caravans and four other vehicles arrived after apparently being moved on by police from another site on the estate.

North Wales Police confirmed they were aware of the trespass, but said it is a civil matter for the business to pursue.

A spokesman for the Premier Toyota dealership said: “The police had moved them on from somewhere else on the estate and, instead of going off, they came onto our site.
“The local police were here first thing this morning, but it’s a trespass and it’s not in their jurisdiction.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/travellers-set-up-camp-llandudno-11783383

Offline SteveH

« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2016, 02:29:56 pm »
The owner of the Cineworld site in Llandudno Junction wants to build three more restaurants in the car park.
Legal and General(L&G) have submitted a plan to Conwy council for the extra eating places located on Junction Leisure Park, next to the existing Pizza Hut and McDonald's restaurants.

But the application could impact on the planned access road to a separate £40m development for a large superstore and three other restaurants on land next door.
That project - which would include an access road across the leisure park site - was approved by Conwy planners earlier this year despite opposition from L&G.

More  http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-junction-cineworld-site-wants-11993040

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2016, 04:28:30 pm »
The world's gone mad - there are already three eating places on that site - the report seems to miss out KFC.

Is it any wonder there are so many obese people - seems every new establishment is somewhere to eat!

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2016, 04:33:59 pm »
Are they going to call it Diabetes Row?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2016, 05:11:02 pm »
Plus you can eat IN the cinema! Can also eat at almost every supermarket and virtually every pub these days.
No wonder those poor tourists couldn't fit on the train to Snowdon!

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2016, 08:52:36 pm »
Mmmm.  Could it be some gamesmanship in order to increase land value if someone else needs it for access ??

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2016, 07:29:46 am »
Seems like your going to need wider walkways in the future to get around the Junction.