Author Topic: The 3 Towns Coffee centre  (Read 559122 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: The 3 Towns Coffee centre
« Reply #1590 on: March 01, 2015, 10:53:05 am »
Happy St David's Day.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1591 on: March 07, 2015, 11:10:20 pm »
Saw these unusual clouds this afternoon driving back to Rhos on Sea, I believe they are called lenticular clouds, anybody else see them?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #1592 on: March 08, 2015, 08:23:25 am »
Amazing, great photos ME.
I showed them to Mr Hollins and he said, "Cigar shaped clouds in front of the Eiger."
Seeing them reminded him of his university climbing days when their bible was a book on climbing by Alan Blackshaw. In it was the photo entitled "Cigar shaped clouds in front of the Eiger.
He nor I have seen them in real life but thanks for the memories ME.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/alan-blackshaw-mountaineer-civil-servant-author-and-campaigner-who-wrote-the-british-climbing-lsquobiblersquo-2350947.html

Offline hollins

« Reply #1593 on: March 11, 2015, 07:38:36 pm »
Hey ME, look what has just been on our weather forecast!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1594 on: March 14, 2015, 08:44:01 am »
The 14 of March, 3.14 in the US month/day date format, is the day to celebrate everyone's favourite constant, Pi – the irrational number defined by the circumference of a circle divided by its diameter. This year is even more special because, for a brief moment in the morning, the date and time will represent the first 10 digits of Pi: 3/14/15 9:26:53.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1595 on: March 14, 2015, 10:29:20 am »
Ah!  Very interesting.   And here is a Pie in the Sky.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1596 on: April 03, 2015, 01:50:36 pm »
Merry Easter!

Offline hollins

« Reply #1597 on: April 03, 2015, 03:10:42 pm »
Same to you ME and everyone on the forum.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1598 on: April 08, 2015, 08:51:02 pm »
Thought this might be of  intrest to some
Monopoly- Did You Know This ?

(You'll never look at the   game the  same way again) 

Starting  in 1941, an increasing number of British Airmen found themselves as the involuntary guests of the Third Reich and the Crown was casting about for ways and means to facilitate their escape.

Now obviously, one of the most helpful aids to that end is a useful an  accurate map, one showing not only where stuff was but also showing the locations of ‘ afe  houses' where a POW on the run could go for food and shelter.

Paper maps  had some real drawbacks -- they make a lot of noise when you open and  fold them, they wear out rapidly and, if they get wet, they turn into pulp. 
  Someone at MI5 had the idea of printing escape maps on silk.  It's durable, can be scrunched-up into tiny wads and unfolded as many times as needed and makes no noise whatsoever.

At that  time, there was only one manufacturer in Great Britain that had perfected the technology of printing on silk and that was John Waddington Ltd.  When approached by the government, the firm was  only too happy to do its bit for the war effort.

By pure  coincidence, Waddington also made the board game, Monopoly.  As it happened, 'games and  pastimes' was a category of item qualified for insertion into 'CARE  packages', dispatched by the International Red Cross to prisoners of war.

Under the strictest of secrecy, in a securely guarded and inaccessible old workshop on the grounds of Waddington's, a group of sworn-to-secrecy  employees began mass-producing escape maps, keyed to each region of  Germany or Italy where Allied POW camps were.  When processed, these maps could be folded into such tiny wads that they would actually fit inside a Monopoly playing piece.

As long as they were at it, the clever workers at Waddington's  also managed  to add: 
  1. A playing token, containing a small magnetic compass
2.   A two-part metal file that could easily be screwed together
3.   Useful amounts of genuine high-denomination German, Italian and French currency, hidden within the piles of Monopoly money!

British and American air crews were advised, before taking off on their first mission, how to identify a 'rigged' Monopoly set -- by means of a tiny red dot, one cleverly rigged to look like an ordinary printing glitch, located in the corner of the Free Parking square.

Of the  estimated 35,000 Allied POWS who successfully escaped, an estimated  one-third were aided in their flight by the rigged Monopoly sets.  Everyone who did so was sworn to secrecy indefinitely, since the British  Government might want to use this highly successful ruse in stil  another, future war. 

The story  wasn't declassified until 2007, when the surviving  craftsmen from Waddington's, as well as the firm itself, were finally honoured in a public ceremony.

It's always nice when you can play that 'Get Out of Jail Free' card! 

Most of us are (probably) too young to have any personal connection to  WWII but this is still  interesting.   Cheers

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1599 on: April 08, 2015, 10:06:14 pm »
This is the first I have ever heard of this. Does the home front meusem know about this. Adrian is very much on the ball at collecting wartime memories

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1600 on: April 08, 2015, 10:28:53 pm »
Iv,e no idea Mike

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1601 on: April 09, 2015, 07:17:12 am »
The story's not entirely accurate. Although the account claims "an estimated one-third [of escaped POWs] were aided in their flight by the rigged Monopoly sets," both the Game Makers and Waddington's chairman said the number of POWs who were actually aided by the smuggled game kits is unknown:

Maps, files and compasses were hidden in Monopoly sets and smuggled into World War II German prison camps to help British prisoners of war escape, the game's manufacturer, the John Waddington company of Leeds, England, says. Monopoly boards were made with maps hidden in them showing "escape routes from the particular prison to which each game was sent," chairman Victor Watson said. "Into the other side of the board was inserted a tiny compass and several fine-quality files." The money piles were real money, with one piece of Monopoly money on the top and bottom of the pack. "We are not sure how many prisoners were able to escape by this method," Watson said, but the company likes to think a few did.

A former archivist with John Waddington also pointed out some discrepancies in the account in response to a 2007 London Times recounting of it:

Sir, I write as the former archivist for John Waddington, the company which made Monopoly during the Second World War.

In his article about Monopoly, Ben Macintyre states that the special sets of Monopoly were sent to prison camps via the Red Cross. Waddingtons produced many escape aids which were sent to the Nazi prison camps, but these were always sent via private, often fictitious, organisations like the Licensed Victuallers Prisoner Relief Fund. No escape aids were enclosed in the Red Cross parcels, so that the Germans would have no justification for stopping these much needed parcels from reaching the prisoners.

It is untrue that safe houses were shown on the maps, as there was a virtual certainty that some of the maps would fall into German hands — the Germans were not fools when it came to tracking down prisoners' ruses.

Information about the rigged Monopoly kits was also openly acknowledged and discussed long before 2007. A 1985 Associated Press article, for example, reported that:

Waddingtons, which received the license to distribute Monopoly in Britain in 1935 from Parker Brothers in the United States, got involved in aiding the prisoners of war because of its printing expertise. It printed maps for the military on durable silk.

Thousands of fliers who went on missions over German-occupied Europe had the maps sewn into their uniforms if they were shot down and captured.

Victor Watson, chairman of the firm, said Waddingtons had a secret department that put the maps, files and money in shallow recesses on the board under the paper face. Then MI-9, the division of Military Intelligence devoted to helping POWs escape, smuggled the sets into prison camps as recreational equipment.

Powell Davies, who was a 19-year-old flier when he was captured, said the prison escape committees would destroy the sets after removing the escape aids to keep the guards from figuring out what was going on.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1602 on: May 21, 2015, 03:03:58 pm »
Sign of the times?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1603 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:05 pm »
   Anybody got any especial views about livered car driving schools putting their pupils through their paces on large public car parks? Recently saw this going on in Mostyn Champneys car park.
   My own view is "not happy." I appreciate that the car is under the instructors control but it is a car park, not a road. Owners are leaving their cars and wandering all over the place, not on a pavement. Also excited children with their eyes on the toy shop are taking a straight direct line to it (or to McDonalds). But obviously the owner of the driving school must feel it is O.K. He wouldn't be advertising himself if he did;nt.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1604 on: May 30, 2015, 06:36:52 am »
I have not seen it myself, but it does not sound like a good idea to me! Although with dual control I suppose it should be ok?