Author Topic: The 3 Towns Coffee centre  (Read 557816 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: The 3 Towns Coffee centre
« Reply #1425 on: February 27, 2014, 11:12:38 pm »
      Driving from Penrhyn Bay to Colwyn Bay along the prom I spotted a police vehicle parked reasonably visible on my right hand side. It was parked at right angle to the road. It was a vehicle similar to the speed camera vehicle they use. This was just after the golf club.

Around about a quarter mile further on, a further police van, again on the right and parked semi visible and again at right angles to the road. Identical vehicle to the first one.

It crossed my mind, are they doing an "average speed" check, similar to the ones often used on speed restricted stretches of the motorways.   I assume thats possible with todays technology.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1426 on: February 28, 2014, 07:20:30 am »
It crossed my mind, are they doing an "average speed" check, similar to the ones often used on speed restricted stretches of the motorways.   I assume thats possible with todays technology.

It's certainly possible and as long ago as 2007 they were spreading rapidly, so it's more than likely they were being tested.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1427 on: February 28, 2014, 07:51:02 am »
Lot easier and more accurate that a couple of bobbies, one with a stop watch, timing a vehicle over a hundred yards or so, as it was in my Met days! 
 ^*^0
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #1428 on: February 28, 2014, 03:59:44 pm »
Anyone feeling hungry? Swiss rosti with bacon and cheese. Yummy!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1429 on: March 06, 2014, 07:47:28 pm »
   Hollins that looks really lovely. However, to yet another spat I have had. The opinions of the legal minded members of the forum would be appreciated.

Early evening in Morrisons today. I am looking at the wines, and I spot one bottle (nederburg sauvignon blanc in case anyone is interested. I'm drinking it now, hence the keyboard mistakes). Priced on the shelf at Three pounds, 98 pence. That sounds cheap, and sometimes cheap wine can be very enjoyable. I'll gee it a try.

Get to the self-service till and to my horror it comes up at Eight pounds, 99 pence. Oh dear, I must have misread the ticket, confused an 8 for a 3. So I have to the lady staff member "Is it too late to change my mind on this. Its too much money." No, she says. I'll knock it off and you pay for your other items and I will take the bottle back.

So I said, (being a kind old gentleman) I'll take it back for you. O.K. she says.

So off I go, put the bottle back where I got it from and looked at the price ticket closely. Three pounds, 98 for sure. So back to the checkout. Same lady. I said this bottle is definitely priced at three pounds, 98p.  Oh, she says, I will go and have a look.

Comes back 2 or 3 mins later and gives me obvious blags, mumbles about some badge on the bottle and might have been on a special offer at one time. I said "No. Its there on the shelf now. threeninetyeight." Show me, says the lady.

So off the two of us went and I showed her. Back to the till, I scan it, it comes up 8-99, she alters down to 3-98, and we are all happy.

BUT---BUT  I then said "Can I go back and get a few more of these bottles" thinking I might have a bargain of a lifetime.  No, she says. Why not? I said and added that the trading standards people wouldn't be very happy about this. Her reply, "See the supervisor over there."

I went to this lady, explained, and her response was to point at her watch and say "Its quarter to seven. We close at seven."  Me: Well, I'll run then. Superviser: No, you cannot have more bottles, its just a mistake on our computers.

So, what do you all think?  I remember from fifty years ago studying very basic law when I was in a Bank. I remember dimly about offer and acceptance to make a contract, and that shelf and window stickers are an invitation to make an offer, the customer offers to buy and the seller, Morrisons, accepts.Thats the contract. But since then Trading Standards have come on the scene to a far greater extent. I still think they would be unhappy, but should I just have grabbed half a dozen bottles, given the 25 quid and staggered out?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1430 on: March 06, 2014, 08:11:53 pm »
The "offer to treat" is correct.  No contract exists until both parties have reached an agreement on the details.

It is accepted that mistakes in labelling can, and does, occur.  Once this has been established then everyone is aware and a new contract has to be negotiated.

If you feel that this was a deliberate ploy to cheat customers then report it to Trading Standards.
 ££$

Had you gone to an attended till you may not have noticed the error as it would be mixed up with other shopping, and you would have been a bit lighter in your wallet.  Had this in Tesco's a few times!   :D
Cicero

Offline hollins

« Reply #1431 on: March 07, 2014, 04:06:32 pm »
Hello Spring!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1432 on: March 07, 2014, 08:04:08 pm »
  Thanks Yorkie thats just what I thought. Quite likely I would have just gulped a bit and put the check bill in my pocket never to be checked.

No, I doubt very much if Morrisons were doing anything deliberately. They wouldn't have made the slightest difference to their balance sheet --- there were only about five or six bottle on the shelf and not in a prominent spot.

Thats why I rather like scanning items myself.   Mike

Offline hollins

« Reply #1433 on: March 12, 2014, 06:04:01 pm »
I only noticed today that Trojan has his very own Hollywood walk of fame along the promenade!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1434 on: March 13, 2014, 08:37:09 am »
For horse lovers everywhere - get your pony a hand made Equine Onesie!
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1435 on: March 13, 2014, 08:43:12 am »
 _))* very good! These onesie things look ridiculous, I've no idea why anyone would want to wear one?  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1436 on: March 13, 2014, 02:07:50 pm »
_))* very good! These onesie things look ridiculous, I've no idea why anyone would want to wear one?  :laugh:

I can vouch for the fact that they are very comfortable for lounging about the house in the evenings.  I look great in my Superman one!   Can't find the secret to flying yet though!    :D
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #1437 on: March 14, 2014, 12:05:30 pm »
I thought a onesie would be a good idea in the winter months which they are except for when you want to go to the freezing bathroom for the toilet............
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1438 on: March 14, 2014, 12:47:14 pm »
I thought a onesie would be a good idea in the winter months which they are except for when you want to go to the freezing bathroom for the toilet............

Bit easier for us blokes!    :D
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1439 on: March 21, 2014, 07:53:01 pm »
  Lots of motoring fans of a certain age visit the 3 towns coffee centre.   So ---

Many years ago if a motorist joined the AA or RAC they got a nice metal badge to stick on the front of their car. The AA and RAC universally drove around on sidecar motorbikes.

If you passed one of them either driving the opposite direction or parked at the side of the road and they paid no attention to you, what were you supposed to do straight away?