Author Topic: The 3 Towns Coffee centre  (Read 560168 times)

Online Ian

• Administrator
Re: The 3 Towns Coffee centre
« Reply #1365 on: October 30, 2013, 08:07:56 am »
 WWW WWW WWW

Nice :-)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1366 on: October 30, 2013, 10:21:36 am »
I am quite good at putting on accents, so I often do a 'country yokel' act. Once had a foreign gentleman in knots when he was trying to quiz me about Windows on my PC. I kept telling him that our windows were the original from 1848 and they were fine.-- He gave up in the end !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1367 on: October 30, 2013, 12:14:51 pm »
 L0L L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1368 on: November 02, 2013, 10:47:29 am »
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1369 on: November 07, 2013, 11:11:50 am »
Two thirds of middle aged people in Wales are overweight or obese, says study

Nearly two thirds of people in Wales in their early 40s are overweight or obese, according to new research.

The University of London study found 37% of adults were overweight by the age of 42 and men are more likely than women to have a weight problem but are less likely to realise it.

A further one in four men (26%) and women (27%) were obese.

Researchers studied the body mass index (BMI) of almost 10,000 men and women in Wales, Scotland and England.

Men in Wales were significantly more likely to be overweight than women in middle age, the research finds.

Nearly half of men (46%) were overweight at 42, compared to almost a third of women (30%).

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

People who are overweight or obese face a higher risk of many health problems, including cardiovascular disease, diabetes and certain cancers”

Dr Alice Sullivan
University of London
In Scotland, the proportion of men and women who were overweight at age 42 was identical to Wales, while obesity rates were slightly lower.

The proportion of middle-aged adults in England who were overweight was also similar but the obesity level was again lower - 23% for men and 19% for women.

The study said that British men were significantly less likely than women to realise they are carrying excess weight.

The research was carried out by Dr Alice Sullivan and Matt Brown of the university's institute of education centre for longitudinal studies.

Dr Sullivan said: "People who are overweight or obese face a higher risk of many health problems, including cardiovascular disease, diabetes and certain cancers," she said.

"But carrying excess weight is far more socially acceptable for men than for women and men will not respond to health messages about weight and obesity if they do not recognise that they are overweight.

"This is a particular concern given that cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death for men aged 35 and over."

The researchers also found that men and women born in 1970 were considerably more likely to be obese at 42 than those born in 1958 at the same age.

'No vigorous exercise'
"People born in 1970 grew up at a time when lifestyles were becoming increasingly inactive and high-calorie convenience foods were widely available for the first time," said Dr Sullivan.

"We know that both exercise and diet are important for maintaining a healthy weight.

"But our findings show that ready meals, frozen foods, and takeaways are popular with this generation, while nearly a third (32%) of women and a quarter (24%) of men do no vigorous exercise in a typical week."

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

It's hard sometimes to get through to middle aged men”

Dr Mark Harney
Connah's Quay GP
Perhaps unsurprisingly, said researchers, only four in 10 men (41%) who were overweight said they were making an effort to shed excess pounds, compared to two thirds (66%) of women.

Obese women were also more likely to be trying to lose weight (77%) compared to 62% of obese men.

Connah's Quay GP Dr Mark Harney said the study was a true reflection of what he was seeing at his surgery.

"It is quite a shocking statistic that two in three Welsh adults are overweight," he told BBC Radio Wales.

"The emphasis in this study is on men. Half of men at 42 are overweight compared with a third of women and in general practice we do find that men are a tough nut to crack.

"My lady patients, many of them who are overweight have been on diets since they were 16."

He said women were more aware of weight loss because it was covered in the media but "being big and heavy and strong is a bit of a man thing," he added.

"It's hard sometimes to get through to middle aged men," said Dr Harney.

Dr Sullivan will present the findings at a seminar in London on Thursday, as part of the Economic and Social Research Council's Festival of Social Science.

She will underline the importance of making men more aware of their BMI status and the health risks associated with excess weight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-24847449

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1370 on: November 07, 2013, 01:23:42 pm »
Any statistics for the Members of  $3towns$  ?
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1371 on: November 08, 2013, 11:36:48 am »
Are we having a " Christmas Get Together" this year? VV
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1372 on: November 10, 2013, 11:26:32 pm »
Seems like a good idea!

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1373 on: November 12, 2013, 07:28:43 am »
This shows the importance of choosing fonts and typefaces with care...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1374 on: November 12, 2013, 07:44:25 am »
 :laugh: you also have to be careful with 'Clint Eastwood' !

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1375 on: November 12, 2013, 08:45:01 am »
This shows the importance of choosing fonts and typefaces with care...

Of course!  It should be

FRICKERING RIGHTS.   ;D
Cicero

Offline Lynda

« Reply #1376 on: November 19, 2013, 08:46:58 am »
How do I amend my user name to include my maiden name - thanks in advance

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1377 on: November 19, 2013, 09:03:35 am »
When you say username, I take it you mean the name that is displayed when you make a post?

Please email me at admin @ threetownsforum.co.uk with the details and I will change it.

$good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1378 on: November 20, 2013, 09:08:13 am »

Offline Linda

« Reply #1379 on: November 20, 2013, 10:50:31 am »
 _))* very funny.