Author Topic: The 3 Towns Coffee centre  (Read 557276 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: The 3 Towns Coffee centre
« Reply #1350 on: October 22, 2013, 11:45:03 am »
But that has got to be a contender for the most pointless sign ever

How about this sign?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #1351 on: October 22, 2013, 12:05:50 pm »
That is a classic!
Not sure this is pointless but following on from the recent discussion about parking forwards or reversing I took this photo in Switzerland. It is common there to see a sign which asks you to only park going in forwards. Some signs are not quite so polite as this one and say reverse parking in to spaces is VERBOTEN, forbidden!
We once reversed in to a space in a mutli storey car park and came back to a notice on the car asking us not to do it again.
We are not sure what the reason is. The only thing we can think of is that it looks tidier but not sure to be honest.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1352 on: October 22, 2013, 04:17:50 pm »
Easier and safer to drive out than reverse out.  Same applies to people living on busy roads, always better to reverse into their drive that try to reverse out into moving traffic. ^*^0
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1353 on: October 22, 2013, 06:12:56 pm »
   Ezcept one. My golf course. There used to be one three years ago but believe it or not the local vandals managed to get it off and its not been seen since. Cannot say Ive missed it

Offline ed jones

« Reply #1354 on: October 24, 2013, 04:00:59 pm »
Hello folks, it's a long time since I posted anything on the forum and I'm not too sure if I'm on the right bit!! My eldest daughter is a Librarian at the new Worcester Library (it's combined with the University of Worcester). She was working in the Children's section when a student returned a teaching aid. My daughter was surprised to see that it was a Storylink key stage two Geography teaching aid on Llandudno, it contains a Teachers guide, four booklets and eight leaflets. She signed it out and handed it to yours truly and having read through it I found it full of facts, some I didn't know about. As it's a library book it may very well be at Llandudno Library. If it is I recommend it. There is one glaring error as one of the photos shows "horses on the beach" It's a photo of horses in front of what I think is Colwyn Bay pier. All the best to you all. $walesflag$

Offline hollins

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1356 on: October 26, 2013, 01:19:46 am »
Thank you Hollins, but I am now deeply ensconced, (a great word in it's own right) in about 4 games per day versus Forum members SDQ and Yorkie.
I think that all concerned are well aware of those tricks and many others besides.

Thus far I can report that I only win about 1 in 5 games versus SDQ, who is a formidable opponent, but fun to play against.

I have won only 1 game ever against Yorkie, who crushes me almost every time.

However, I am learning quickly, and never lose hope of re-dressing the balance.

The tide is turning in my favour!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1357 on: October 26, 2013, 07:26:04 am »
Fester is getting much better, is obviously learning as he goes along and our games are now much closer, with one game being only one point adrift until the last move!  I also have another apponent with three games running and it is pretty obvious that unusual tactics are being employed!
 :D
Cicero

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1358 on: October 29, 2013, 07:24:16 pm »
                  I am not sure if this is the correct thread for this query but I could'nt find a more suitable one. At about 6pm. tonight I received a phone call from a witheld number from a young lady with a Welsh accent who said she was speaking from BBC Wales and asking if I would like to take part in a short survey.There was a lot of background noise on the line which sounded like a busy office/call centre. I declined the offer as I don't generally take part in surveys on the phone, but I was wondering if any other Forum members have ever received a similar call recently and if so what questions were in the survey. I am generally  suspicious of witheld calls  (especially ones with an overseas accent!) and I wondered if this could be another scam to get details from unsuspecting folk?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1359 on: October 29, 2013, 07:58:02 pm »
One word --- probably

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1360 on: October 29, 2013, 08:05:26 pm »
We have just bought and fitted one of these black box call blockers, seems to be working well!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1062140.htm
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1361 on: October 29, 2013, 08:07:25 pm »
Gwynant - had you maybe hung on a little longer everything would have been made clear.  The BBC do have surveys carried out on their behalf which gives them important feed back from listeners or watchers.  Having declared themselves at the start it could well have been a genuine call.   If not, it would soon have become clear and you could have refused to continue.
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1362 on: October 29, 2013, 10:44:40 pm »
                   who said she was speaking from BBC Wales 

The BBC do have surveys carried out on their behalf 

Isn't that deceitful (maybe unlawful) to phone and impress by saying you are from the BBC when you are actually an independent company commisioned by the BBC to carry out a survey on their behalf?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1363 on: October 30, 2013, 07:18:55 am »
It's misrepresentation, but she might not have said those exact words. People often interpret what they see or hear to be something slightly different from the reality. Usually they work to a vetted script so she probably said something along the lines of 'HI, I'm speaking to you on behalf of the BBC...'. 

It's a common technique, Bri;  d'you ever read the Daily Mail?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1364 on: October 30, 2013, 07:46:23 am »
Only at the weekend, Ian, and I often wonder why I bother these days.

Speaking from personal experience, it is surprising how many unsolicited telephone calls we receive from individuals claiming to be from an organisation but when scrutinised they eventually admit to be phoning on behalf of ........

Usually, it will be either a survey or someone trying to sell advertising.

When it is advertising being sold, I normally remind them we are registered with the TPS and enquire if they screened our telephone number before phoning.

When I add the fine is up to £1,000 that usually put an end to the conversation.