Author Topic: The 3 Towns Coffee centre  (Read 552609 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: The 3 Towns Coffee centre
« Reply #1245 on: May 02, 2013, 07:59:19 pm »
This sign amused me!

Offline hollins

« Reply #1246 on: June 11, 2013, 05:19:01 pm »
I think it was Nemesis that liked chimneys?
I saw these on my travels the other day. I thought quite unusual.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1247 on: June 11, 2013, 08:45:12 pm »
They look good examples of what we used to call a ' Long Tom' Hollins. Thanks for thinking of me. I think they were designed to make the chimney 'draw'.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1248 on: June 26, 2013, 11:38:35 am »
  As a young boy I used to stuff messages into empty bottles and threw them in the sea. I gave up the practice of pushing something into a bottle around 70 years ago.
 However, to my surprise. I happened to be siting alongside three other members of the forum. I now know that the "in" crowd of men about town now stuff chunks of lemon into the larger bottles before drinking.
  You did'nt know that?  No, neither did I.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1249 on: June 26, 2013, 01:01:43 pm »
  As a young boy I used to stuff messages into empty bottles and threw them in the sea. I gave up the practice of pushing something into a bottle around 70 years ago.
 However, to my surprise. I happened to be siting alongside three other members of the forum. I now know that the "in" crowd of men about town now stuff chunks of lemon into the larger bottles before drinking.
  You did'nt know that?  No, neither did I.
Only with Corona, Mike.
http://www.examiner.com/article/busting-bar-myths-why-corona-is-garnished-with-a-lime

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1250 on: June 26, 2013, 01:42:34 pm »
The idea of a Skunky Taste sounds gross !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1251 on: June 26, 2013, 02:01:05 pm »
Corona was a different drink altogether in our youth, DaveR.

The corona man even delivered once a week to our front door along with the greengrocer, coalman and bread van.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1252 on: June 26, 2013, 04:16:30 pm »
            The mention of "Corona" drinks takes me back, Bri. I worked as a Corona delivery lad working out of Douglas Road, Colwyn Bay in the late 60s for about 3 months. It was a thankless job, and my abiding memory is of delivering to the top floors of the flats in Ffordd Penrhyn, Llandudno, (by where the new ASDA is now) on a rainy winter's Friday night when all my mates were out having a good time, and looking down onto my wagon below and seeing the kids nicking loads of empty pop bottles off the back, and then bringing them back when I got down to the ground level and demanding their 3 pence (that's 3d!) deposit for each bottle returned, then arguing with their Dads when I refused to pay them, and then eventually going back to the depot to pick up my average of £10 wages for the week, after trying unsuccessfully to balance up the float takings. I really hated that job, and moved on as soon as I could!  Nowadays I would have been lucky that they didn't nick the wagon, (or torch it), as used to happen in the cities in later years!

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #1253 on: June 26, 2013, 08:04:28 pm »
I too remember the Corona van delivering and the tops of the bottles!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1254 on: June 26, 2013, 10:41:30 pm »
We also used to have the Corona pop man delivering, right up to around 1990 maybe.

One of the most embarrassing moments of my life concerns him.

After a few years of buying Corona, we decided to cancel him.... but he kept turning up!
At first, just for the empties, but then he kept knocking on the door, and looking very upset then I said 'no thanks'

After a few weeks of this, I saw him coming to the door once again, I couldn't face him again.
For some obscure reason I dropped to the floor and hid from him in the bay window, under the window sill.
He knocked on the door, and again.... and then on the window, because he had SEEN ME ON THE FLOOR!!

I got to my feet, utterly embarrassed, and proceeded in true Basil Fawlty style to tell him that I had been checking the floorboards. It's the best I could think of under pressure.  Pathetic.

Needless to say, I purchased some pop.... and continued to do so for a long time to come.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1255 on: June 26, 2013, 11:12:33 pm »
An excellent salesman!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1256 on: June 26, 2013, 11:17:55 pm »
Indeed, and the only way I ever successfully rid myself of him, was to move house and not tell him!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1257 on: June 27, 2013, 09:24:20 am »

Offline Driddi

« Reply #1258 on: July 05, 2013, 10:21:15 am »
Hilarious story, my dad told me about these Coronaguys aswell and that they are sooo pursuasive sometimes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1259 on: July 31, 2013, 09:06:03 am »
These two photos from this morning's Telegraph fashion faux pas article look horribly familiar and the culprit is sitting not too far away from me!
 ;D