Author Topic: Everything to do with the Conwy Valley  (Read 39666 times)

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with the Conwy Valley
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2015, 10:40:30 pm »
There is a scene on the platform at Blaenau when an elderly lady walks past a taut straining wire hawser connected to a winch on a Pickfords tractor with her shopping bag without a glance, modern day safety "jobsworths" would have fainted!

Gwynant , back in 1981 in the middle of the night, we had the misfortune to be called out to a Shell Tanker laying off  the Bonny Roads, offshore Port Harcourt , Nigeria. We had been tasked to take our Doctor to the Ship and recover a Lascar Seaman, who had just had his left leg severed above the knee by a straining hawser that parted just as he walked by.

“Job’s worth”, bring them on, the more the merrier. Notice how the R.N.L.I. now keep the kids away from their Boat when it’s being recovered? 

Blongbe, I certainly wasn't trying to portray the health and safety rules of today as unnecessary in any way, especially concerning wire hawsers and heavy plant. I was simply trying to point out  the differences between the methods of working between now and 50 years ago. Perhaps in retrospect "jobsworths" was the wrong term, apologies.
                                                                                                                                                  $good$

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:17:37 am by Ian »

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2015, 07:22:59 pm »
Blongb, I certainly wasn't trying to portray the health and safety rules of today as unnecessary in any way, especially concerning wire hawsers and heavy plant. I was simply trying to point out  the differences between the methods of working between now and 50 years ago. Perhaps in retrospect "jobsworths" was the wrong term, apologies.

Sorry Gwynant, no criticism implied.  I was just stressing how dangerous hawser under tension can be.  $good$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2015, 10:49:32 am »
Barley harvesting in the Conwy Valley is well underway

[smg id=3331]

Wonderfully relaxing watching them cut then roll the Barley.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2016, 09:10:09 am »
I had a drive through the Conwy Valley on Thursday and from Capel Gwydir I could see the reconstruction work going on on the railway line to Blaenau Ffestiniog.    It's very close to the river in places so it's obviously going to have ongoing problems but I wonder if Saturday's torrential downpour had any effect on the work already carried out.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2016, 02:13:41 pm »
I had a drive through the Conwy Valley on Thursday and from Capel Gwydir I could see the reconstruction work going on on the railway line to Blaenau Ffestiniog.    It's very close to the river in places so it's obviously going to have ongoing problems but I wonder if Saturday's torrential downpour had any effect on the work already carried out.

I hope not, the line is supposed to be re-opening tomorrow!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2016, 03:25:54 pm »
I'd better get my bus pass ready then, it's a very scenic ride on that train

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2016, 06:25:15 pm »
I'd better get my bus pass ready then, it's a very scenic ride on that train

Very scenic indeed Hugo, but for the best views, go before there are to many leaves on the trees. Other wise most of the journey is spent looking at a wall of green.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2016, 06:46:17 pm »
Yes, that's the best time to really appreciate the beauty of the line, there were dozens of Geese and Ducks on the river bank as we drove past.
The late Autumn is also good to see the changing colours on the trees and the Lledr Valley is particularly nice at that time of year

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2016, 09:03:48 am »
I've often thought in the past that the section of line in your photos (which is one of the sections that gets damaged in every flood) would benefit from several more large culverts built to direct water underneath the line, rather than allowing it to flow over it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2016, 12:49:32 pm »
I stopped at the lay by near Glan Conwy to take some photos.   It's a great place to stop at, as the views are superb across the river but don't   look down over the stone wall because it's becoming a mecca for fly tipping.
Because it's a bit secluded there, the scumbags can go there at night and chuck the stuff over the wall without getting caught.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2016, 03:21:45 pm »
Glan Conwy garden centre unveils lodge plan as supermarket competition hits business.
A popular plant nursery wants to expand with luxury lodges offering horticultural themed holiday on the site.

Tal Goed Nurseries, near Glan Conwy , has been running for more than 25 years but has seen its turnover fall since 2009.
The owners blame low cost competition, particularly from supermarkets.

Now they have identified an opportunity to develop 27 holiday lodges at the site to operate alongside the existing garden centre and the Planters cafe businesses.
They say it would secure the businesses at the location - securing and creating 27 jobs.

In the planning statement, they said: “In order to address a declining financial viability and to inject value into the business, the proprietors have commissioned the production of plans to develop lodge accommodation on under-utilised land at Tal Goed.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/glan-conwy-garden-centre-unveils-11782300

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2016, 11:28:08 am »
Some nineteen vintage tractors were seen yesterday doing a tour around the country roads between Eglwysbach and Nebo. I've not seen anything about them so I wondered if anyone in here knew what was happening.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2016, 03:25:07 pm »
We visited Surf Snowdonia this afternoon because there was a competition on.

Many parents and grandparents took advantage of the free entertainment.

It was nice to see the cafe and other facilities very busy.

Offline SteveH

Re: Everything to do with the Conwy Valley.......Llanwrst flood
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2020, 11:58:39 am »
The picture below from the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51428651 reminded me of a previous flood in the same spot, I am guessing late 80's, there is a stream, a few yards behind were the photo was taken,, that goes under the road, through a small culvert, which is prone to getting blocked, last time a mattress traveled down stream and completely closed the culvert, causing substantial property damage and subsidence, it was a simple job to clear, if the same thing has happened again, someone needs to be held accountable.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2020, 12:49:33 pm »
Lots of info coming to light..........

Storm Ciara: Llanrwst, Colwyn Bay and Llanfair TH hit by flooding as torrential rain causes chaos across Conwy
Rivers across the county have burst their banks and caused communities to be flooded.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/storm-ciara-flooding-hits-communities-17715701

Co op Llanrwst flooded, lots of cars trapped...............  Miners bridge down BYC .................... Proposed new Conwy co op site flooded,
ammunition for those against the plan .

The Miners bridge photo is showing the force of the storm.

Trying to get photos to download  $angry$   managed a poor shot of the bridge,  sad