Author Topic: Everything to do with the Conwy Valley  (Read 39690 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Everything to do with the Conwy Valley
« on: December 31, 2012, 07:41:33 pm »
A lot of flooding in the Conwy Valley today! We got as far as Trefriw but the road to Betws y Coed was closed.

The bus just got through!

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with the Conwy Valley
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 07:45:01 pm »
That section of road, just past Trefriw, is the lowest point on the B5106. It's where they had to use helicopters to rescue some genius motorists a couple of years ago.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 07:46:54 pm »
A lot of water at Trefriw!

The Fairy Falls were amazing!

land under there somewhere!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 07:50:49 pm »
That section of road, just past Trefriw, is the lowest point on the B5106. It's where they had to use helicopters to rescue some genius motorists a couple of years ago.

Today even with the 'road closed' signs people were attempting to get through! the bus went through very slowly but must have gone past the signs!  &shake&

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:13:47 am »
                   M.E. did the new flood defences manage to keep the water out of the houses in Trefriw?  When we were walking from Llanrwst to Trefriw recently on the flood banking alongside the Afon Conwy we spoke to a couple of Dwr Cymru lads who were checking the sluicegates etc. to the west of the village, and they said that the new defences should be able to prevent property damage and manage the excess water so that just the fields flooded. A lot of work had been done on the Gower Road from Trefriw towards the chain bridge at Llanrwst with massive earth banks being constructed.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:52:47 am »
I don't know is the honest answer, I was not aware of any flooded properties, going back there this morning for another look at the Fairy Falls, it's a lovely location!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 11:38:37 am »
ME, if you're in that area then the Mares Tails waterfall near Gwydir Castle is worth a visit as they are quite spectacular.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 03:24:33 pm »
    Happy New Year to you all. M.E., the road closed signs you refer to are a permanent fixture,opened by some water board official, but often neglected to close after the water returns to the river.The majority of drivers, especially in flood conditions, are local and know the road and its high and low points very well. Having worked in Llanrwst for 20 or 30 years on and off and lived there for around 8, I count myself as one of them. 
   From the Trefriw side of the river you can see the whole stretch of road. I have driven along there when the road closed signs were visable many, many times ---- and almost daily in a bus.  Mike

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 03:28:32 pm »
I didn't take a picture of the signs, but they were the folding sort, blocking the left hand side of the road, floods very much lower today!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 05:05:19 pm »
I think ME means the signs were at Trefriw, as the road was impassable past there. The signs Mike are referring to are by Gwydir Castle, a mile or so further along the road.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 06:00:05 pm »
I think ME means the signs were at Trefriw.

Yes, those are the ones I saw.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 06:29:07 pm »
This is the section of road Mike means:

Floods at Llanrwst by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 10:24:13 am »
The Estuary pub (aka the Conwy Vale) in Glan Conwy is no more  :'(.

Punch Taverns sold it to a developer who promptly, and with very little warning, sent in the demolition people.  The final part of the building went down yesterday.  Someone once told me it used to be one of the busiest pubs in North Wales, back in the days when some areas were "dry" on Sundays it was the most westerly pub that opened so it used to attract coachloads of punters from what is now Gwynedd (however this is well before my time so it may not be true).
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 11:16:28 am »
Yes, it's a great shame but if people don't use it, then it's bound to happen. I haven't been there in about 5 years, had a lovely meal there as I recall.

I think the Tal Y Cafn Hotel (also boarded up and for sale) is a much better proposition for anyone thinking of buying a pub in that area.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 11:18:59 am »
When I was a teenager 50 years ago, Denbighshire (where the Vale was) and Caernarfonshire were dry so we would go by train to Rhyl for a drink on the Sunday.
Although the pubs were dry in Denbs and Caerns some clubs were still able to serve alcohol but I couldn't go in them for fear of my Dad finding out as I was under 18 at the time!