Author Topic: Picture of Madge Cox and Lily Owen  (Read 6785 times)

Offline miriam

Picture of Madge Cox and Lily Owen
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:14:52 pm »
Found this picture of Madge and Lily, looks like the sandhills in the background.

Offline ed jones

Re: Picture of Madge Cox and Lily Owen
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:39:03 pm »
Blast from the past that is Miriam. Yes those look like the sandhills in the background

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 04:47:38 pm »
Hi Miriam.

Just found this whilst browsing. Thank for posting it - one I've never seen before. $walesflag$
Micox

Offline jom

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 11:59:53 pm »
Was Lily the daughter of Thomas and Lily OWEN and born in Bristol?

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 04:13:50 pm »
Hi Jom - I think Lily married a Cox I'm looking into today

Phil

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 05:08:09 pm »
PhilMick,    Lily Owen lived in the same street as me and she wasn't married (1970) then although she had a son called Billy who would be about 60 now.
She has a brother called Ernie and he was a nice guy as were all the Owen family.     Madge Cox lived about 3 doors away from Lily and she was married to Johny Cox who in his earlier days was a good footballer and a nice guy too.
Madge's son Michael is a forum member and posts on here occasionally under the name Micox and he's got loads of info on the Llandudno Jones (Yr Ogof) side.
There is another member on here who lived next door to Madge and she may be able to supply any info for you, her name is Miriam

Offline jom

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 10:17:00 pm »
Thanks everyone. Big coincidence as in my tree is a Lily married to Thomas Owen who had a family member marry a Cox. Too many Owens  ;D  Also Ed and a few of us are related so it seemed likely

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 10:10:53 am »
I was looking at a Lily Owen who was the daughter of Thomas Owen (1889-1934) and Lily Havard. Thomas was a Llandudno boy and then married a Bristol girl and lived there for the rest of his life. If the info I have is correct (it's secondary), Lily married Stafford Cox also from Bristol. I wondered if Madge Cox came from that family. However, it's just a coincidence of names.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 11:32:26 am »
I can remember Lily, her son Billy and brother Ernie and I think that another brother was also living in the same house but I can't remember his name.
When I left Llandudno in 1970 I'm sure that Lily wasn't married but I lived at the other end of the street and her near neighbours Miriam and Micox would know for sure. 
I hope that they can see these postings and help you with your research.
We did have an Owen living next door but his name was Sam and Jom, Sam had a son who lived on the Great Orme and he was called John Owen!!!

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 03:48:26 pm »
I haven't got any Owens that lived in the Alex and Kings Road area on my wife's tree. My wife's line comes from Owens that lived in upper Mostyn Street and that end of town.  William and Jane Owen (nee Hughes) moved to Mowbray Road in 1926. The Enoch Owen on the cenotaph was her great uncle. Incidently, I've read on the forum that other contributors think that the William Owen on the cenotaph is Enoch's brother. William, Enoch's brother, survived the 1WW after serving at Gallipoli and died in the 40s still living at Mowbray Road.

Phil

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 05:52:56 pm »
Slightly off topic but the mention of the Yr Ogof family reminds me that there is an issue with the Ted yr Ogof memorial on the prom.  From what I gather, the memorial has moved and is unsafe - members may have seen it is barriered off.  I believe the plaque is in the beach office for safekeeping.  The Town Council is arranging for re-construction.

Offline jom

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 05:51:43 am »
I was looking at a Lily Owen who was the daughter of Thomas Owen (1889-1934) and Lily Havard. Thomas was a Llandudno boy and then married a Bristol girl and lived there for the rest of his life. If the info I have is correct (it's secondary), Lily married Stafford Cox also from Bristol. I wondered if Madge Cox came from that family. However, it's just a coincidence of names.
  Philmick... If you're recalling this part of your wife's tree from me then the information was from direct descendants of Thomas and Lily (several grandchildren from different Thomas and Lily offspring -  some of whom have ancestry.co.uk trees)  so it's pretty robust as well as my own independent research.  Did I put sources in the tree I sent this time or I may have done on our initial contact a year or so ago?  Happy to send if I didn't  ;)

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 01:00:47 pm »
Hi Jom - for that part of the family I would rely on Ancestry and the common concensus of the combined family trees. Your trees come up consistently with the searches I have done, in fact, I think that many of the trees are based on your work. What I find interesting is how name combinations seem to repeat seemingly quite randomly. For example, Owen and Cox.

I have added more photos of the Owen family to my wife's tree. At the moment these are based on Velma Owen's wedding photo in 1943. I'm asking some of the other relations do they recognise any of the people that we can't identify.

phil

Offline jom

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 09:26:00 pm »
Oooo sounds interesting ... might take a peek.  Cheers Phil

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 04:50:50 pm »
Hi Philmick.

Just to set the record straight, Madge was my Mam and we lived in 17 Cwm Place, a first floor flat. Father was John Cox, originally from Penrhyn Bay and of an Irish family. Madge's maiden name was Stallard and her Mother, my Nain, was Rose Stallard, nee Jones who lived in Back Madoc Street when the family moved from Welshpool in 1875. There are still many Stallards/Joneses in Llandudno - a fair old tribe.

In the flat below us (18) when we moved there in 1949, was elderly Mrs Williams and her daughter Lusitania May, a very tormented young woman violently mentally ill. Later, Alun Yr Ogo and his wife Megan moved there - smashing people. They had a daughter Miriam, who I remember as a very pretty young lady. It was she who posted the photo on here.

Lily Owen lived three houses up from us and she had brothers Ernie, George and David. David later started a very successful small Smithy business in Builder Street which expanded and relocated to Llandudno Junction. Ernie, although a little older, was a good mate but he suffered from eplilepsy. George, the middle brother was a character: always friendly and good natured, he could also be quite funny. He was too, a skating whiz, leading 'whip' and the roller hockey at the skating rink. I think Mam and Lily probably worked in the same place, either Welcoast Ice Cream or the old isolation hospital down Cwm Road.  $good$ Heddwch. Mike
Micox