Author Topic: The 3 Towns Arms  (Read 250148 times)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: The 3 Towns Arms
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2011, 10:59:52 am »
Charging my camera as we speak, going for another jaunt today not sure where yet though. Might go over the pass  ;D

Thanks for that Dave. I think that picture is ace.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2011, 11:30:03 am »
I'll look forward to seeing your pics.  :)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2011, 04:29:41 pm »
Y'know I was thinking while I was on a wander today. I was looking out over the hills and the sea in the distance.  It was the first time  I'd really taken any notice of the wind turbines. There's been a lot of controversy over the offshore wind farms, much I have brushed aside, with the attitude "its the sign of the times." I mean they're out at sea? Whats the problem?  However today was the first time I'd realised how much they do impose on the landscape.  I can see why people don't want them and object time after time.  However this got me thinking about other modern blights on the landscape like electricity pylons.  Imagine if we'd all lobbied against them?  Now they really are eyesores.  None of us like change but without modern sustainable energy our progress would not be possible.

In the last photo TV repeater transmitter above Gyffin.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:04:32 pm by Pendragon »

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2011, 04:41:01 pm »
I actually quite like electricity pylons, possibly because I remember seeing the walking pylons on the telly years ago!  We used to live near some very big ones near Penrhyndeudraeth and they 'marched' up the hill in a valley which we called 'the Valley of the Pylons'  D)

National Power advert
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

brumbob

« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2011, 04:51:37 pm »
great old advert  D)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2011, 04:55:36 pm »
Trouble with the blot on the landscape in your last photo Angie is that it’s just a little bit too short. It's the TV repeater transmitter above Gyffin which gives most of this area their signal. BUT if you live in certain parts of Llandudno, the entire signal is blanked out by the Vardre. So unless they put an extension on the top of if we shall just have to put up with North West England’s news and weather instead of the really interesting news and weather put out by BBC Wales, HTV and S4C.   $wales  
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2011, 06:03:03 pm »
It's the TV repeater transmitter above Gyffin which gives most of this area their signal.
))* well its still a blot on the landscape.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2011, 10:01:35 pm »
Yes but if we build it even taller and disguise it as a Sequoiadendron giganteum, everyone will think it's part of Bodnent Gardens and I'll be able to watch Welsh Telly  $wales
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2011, 10:26:41 pm »
I agree a giant redwood would look a lot better.  If they built them all along the prom for instance they would block out the wind turbines too.  See job done.

brumbob

« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2011, 11:16:34 pm »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2011, 07:12:15 pm »
Wow, Green Shield Stamps.

There's a blast from the past.  :)

brumbob

« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2011, 07:19:51 pm »
I've got a book and a half of these, do you think they are worth anything on fleabay

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2011, 07:22:20 pm »
Like Jackiecj, I was charged with the job of looking after the Green Shield stamps, I seem to recall that Tesco gave them out as well, my Mum used to go to the one in Rhos On Sea a lot (now the Spar). We used to go over to Rhyl where there was a large Green Shield Stamps catalogue shop for getting the goodies.

One thing I didn't know was that when Green Shield Stamps shut down, all their catalogue shops kept going under a new name...Argos!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2011, 07:40:55 pm »
I've still got one or two books of them, I   started driving in 1973 and used to end up with sheets of them in the glovebox of my Triumph Herald convertible, in the damp confines of the glovebox they would stick themselves together and to anything else nearby! I still have a set of car ramps from Green Shield stamps and thanks to DaveR I now know that it's Argos that I can complain to about all the paint falling off and letting them go rusty after 30 odd years!  :)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline jackiecj

« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2011, 08:37:14 pm »
Like Jackiecj, I was charged with the job of looking after the Green Shield stamps, I seem to recall that Tesco gave them out as well, my Mum used to go to the one in Rhos On Sea a lot (now the Spar). We used to go over to Rhyl where there was a large Green Shield Stamps catalogue shop for getting the goodies.

One thing I didn't know was that when Green Shield Stamps shut down, all their catalogue shops kept going under a new name...Argos!

We used to go to Rhyl to 'cash-in' our books too! I remember a couple of things that Mum & Dad got-a Calor Gas Camping stove-which we still have and a soda syphon-don't know if we've still got that, or if they still make the little gass things to put the fizz in! Perhaps I should ask at Argos! No better still I'll just go to Tesco & buy a bottle of soda water-much easier-but not as much fun maybe!