Author Topic: The 3 Towns Arms  (Read 246102 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: The 3 Towns Arms
« Reply #855 on: August 21, 2014, 12:06:08 pm »
There's another interesting place where you stand to be sideswiped: driving from Deganwy on New Rd onto the giant roundabout with exits to Llandudno Junction, the Tesco store and onward access to the A55 and finally Conwy. The second exit from that roundabout is slightly to the right and thus traffic probebly ought to use the RH lane when appraoching the roundabout.  The road markings, however, say different:

[smg id=3281]

Traffic intending to head for Llandudno Junction, Tesco, the cinema complex or the A55 are instructed to use the LH lane, which means that those heading to the last three destinations have to circumnavigate more then half the roundabout. I've now stopped trying to do it the 'correct' way, after numerous cars simply take the RH lane, then happily swing across to the exit in front of me without - apparently - using those silvered glass things fitted to most cars these days.

So, yes; the dash cam is rapidly becoming a necessity. Which? recommends the Nextbase iN-car Cam 402G Professional.

I used to do that roundabout on a push bike - perilous to say the least! With cars pushing you into each other, surprised there's not more accidents

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #856 on: August 21, 2014, 04:45:01 pm »
I still cycle around that 'Roundabout', although the battery and electric motor in the rear wheel help.   *cycle*    :cyclist40:
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #857 on: November 07, 2014, 11:05:48 pm »
This, (theoretically) could never happen..... and I am still not really certain how it did, despite a report the following year.
Can anyone sensibly explain it?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #858 on: November 07, 2014, 11:47:37 pm »
are they  mating ?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #859 on: November 08, 2014, 07:37:43 am »
This, (theoretically) could never happen..... and I am still not really certain how it did

As kids we would play on the tram tracks and I always remember the crossover as being vulnerable.  The points switch levers were open, and not caged in as they are, now. But I seem to remember the accident was caused by a bogie mishap. The tram bogies are designed for both horizontal and vertical movement, so the tram can move round curves and climb pretty steep inclines and think that it was a tracking issue with one bogie which led to its lead pair following one track while the other three pairs were trying to remain on the correct track. Must have given the driver a very nasty surprise.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #860 on: February 18, 2015, 04:43:10 pm »
This, (theoretically) could never happen..... and I am still not really certain how it did, despite a report the following year.
Can anyone sensibly explain it?

I think it was put down to cable creep Fester, which is a physical stretching of the cable because of the Load it has to carry x Time.

That put the cable out of synchronisation which in turn allowed the front bogie of the up Tram to pass on the wrong side of the points, before they operated normally, allowing the rear bogie of the up Tram to change over onto the passing line.    D)

(And people won't go on the Cable Car because they think it's dangerous!)
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #861 on: September 22, 2015, 12:11:22 pm »
I've put this post in the towns arms because it's just repeating gossip---just as you hear in a pub all the time. No facts just rumours. Not racist, but it's source was from a responsible person and I,m passing it on third hand.
  It concerns the Grand Ash, the hotel in Llandudno which has been the centre of a lot of comment all summer. I am told that Mostyn Estates have managed to get the property reverted into their ownership and are now actively seeking suitable leasees, if that is the correct word. "Reverted" was the word used in telling me. I find that interesting because I always thought the property belonged to Grand U k LTD the holiday company I used to work for. I presume Mostyn estates have the freehold and put it out to long lease.
  The reason they have got it back is because the previous tenants, not grand uk of course, never bothered paying any rent. Come to that, they never bothered to pay anyone else either.
  So there you are, that's just what I have been told. Make of it what you wish. Mike

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #862 on: September 22, 2015, 01:21:59 pm »
In the last week, each night, as we have walked past with the dog, between 10 and 10.30 pm there have been more and more lights on in the upper rooms,  in the Grand Ash. Don't think anyone is living there officially, but someone is going in there, as the lights vary as to position and quantity.

The back of there is a total mess, much of it left by the last occupants, so I don't feel like looking to see if there has been forced entry.

Will E-Mail our local PCSO and let him look !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #863 on: November 17, 2015, 12:07:00 am »
I had always wondered why, when I saw bikes or cars on TV, the wheels and spokes seemed to spin backwards.

It was explained to me that it was an optical illusion, and it was because the 'frames' of a film were shot at a different speed to how they were screened.  Or, more accurately, as the wheel speeded up, the frame speed stayed constant.... so it creating an illusion of the wheel moving forward and then backward.
I was told that as soon as digital imaging, and digital broadcasting came along, this would be a thing of the past.
The phenomenal processing speed of digital broadcasting would mean that everything recorded would play back accurately, as the eye sees it.

But NO!   Every night I see adverts for cars, BMW's, Audi's etc..... and the wheels STILL appear to go forward, then back.
Have I been lied to?  Have the laws of physics changed?   Is digital broadcasting merely 'The Emperor's new clothes'

What is going on?
Fester...

Offline squiggle

« Reply #864 on: November 17, 2015, 12:35:22 am »
With both digital and film, you are taking a series of still pictures. Each picture or frame shows the position of the wheel when it was taken. The apparent direction of the wheel will depend both on its speed of rotation and the interval at which each picture is taken.  If both are perfectly in sync, the wheel will appear stationary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroboscopic_effect

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #865 on: November 17, 2015, 09:26:23 am »
When I was at Llandrillo College in the early eighties we had this problem after we moved into the new workshop. The lathes could be spinning at 1,400 rpm but looked like they were static. We were in there a few days before the problem revealed itself when someone attempted to put a chuck key into a moving lathe and nearly took out the person on the next machine. All hell broke loose and they had to shut down the shop until it was rectified. It transpired the electricians had fitted the fancy new lighting incorrectly.
As far as Fester's post is concerned, I think we'll always have this problem as no matter how something is filmed it will always be broadcast at a certain 'frames per second', be it 24, 25, 30 etc... So it stands to reason that anything rotating at a multiple of the broadcast FPS will look static and anything rotating at a speed very close will look like it is going very slowly or even backwards.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #866 on: November 17, 2015, 10:52:17 am »
Films and videos have some amusing foibles, too; in film, specifically, each 24th of a second a rotating shutter flashes an image on screen, then blanks it before moving the next frame of film into place. In effect, when you go to see a two hour film in the cinema the screen is actually blank for more than half the time. Video doesn't blank the screen, but it does use a scanning technique that has half a frame on the screen which is different from the preceding frame. That happens 25 times a second in Europe, and 29 in the US.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #867 on: November 17, 2015, 11:48:52 am »
Wasn't  there a scandal  some years ago when the blank  frames had advertising  on i think it was subliminal  advertising

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #868 on: November 17, 2015, 12:44:57 pm »
There was, and as recently as the past 15 years they tested adverts for Coca cola in the Simpsons. It's illegal in the UK, but not in the US, I don't believe.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #869 on: March 06, 2016, 03:49:33 pm »
Can't imagine what this lady went through, BBC news clip from China
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-35739046
Fester...