Author Topic: The 3 Towns Arms  (Read 246141 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The 3 Towns Arms
« Reply #840 on: January 07, 2014, 09:54:05 am »
[Anyway, I'm not good enough..... but curiosity tweaked nevertheless.
A modest man....with much to be modest about.  :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #841 on: February 20, 2014, 10:28:17 am »
Is this how CCBC works?  :twoface:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #843 on: February 20, 2014, 11:48:02 am »
WTF is the World coming to?  Anthony Newley was absolutely right with his "want"!   :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #844 on: April 07, 2014, 08:27:20 pm »
   I've left the 3 towns cafe and come to the pub so that I can have a moan without interrupting the cafe conversation.
   Anyone noticed all the posters going up on spare railings etc around the area. Advertising the coming of Tom Jones to Eirias in the summer.
   Well thats O.K., Ive nothing against a bit of advertising. Ive done plenty myself in my time.
   But --- But,   you try putting up posters on railings to advertise anything you like on the scale of the Tom Jones posters. You will rapidly have a call from an official from Conwy Council to tell you in no uncertain terms that you cannot do that.
   I know, for sure. Because I've been on the receiving end of the knock on my door.
   When bus services were deregulated and thrown open to any tom dick and harry bus operator by Margaret Thatcher in 1986, I put in for several bits and pieces bus services i.e. early on Sunday mornings, hardly used country routes etc etc. Sort of stuff Crosville didn't really want. A condition of tendering was that you published your timetable and you put it up on every bus stop on the route. Plus your company name.
    So I did that. I had to do that. Margaret Thatcher said so. But I couldn't afford large printed timetables in a glass fronted case, so I stuck them up with a bit of paste, or cable ties and wrote them with a felt pen.
     The official from Denbighshire (most of the routes were around Rhyl) trotted along into Conwy area where I lived, and gave me a good telling off. I put my side of the argument but he wasn't impressed. After about half an hours bickering he pulled out what he thought was his trump card ---- Have the Dept of Transport been told about this?  Told, I said. TOLD.  Its them that are making me do it.
   There were no winners in the battle. I never took them down but I never replaced them and weather eventually destroyed the majority of them.
    Anyway, are Conwy officials going to call on Conwy officials to take Tom Jones posters down?

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #845 on: April 17, 2014, 09:27:55 pm »
Does anyone know a guy called Norman Ogden?  He said he was something to do with the Cons Club but they don't know him?  He's in his 60s/70s walks with a stick I have a photo but I don't want to put it on here.........YET
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #846 on: April 17, 2014, 11:55:44 pm »
Does anyone know a guy called Norman Ogden?  He said he was something to do with the Cons Club but they don't know him?  He's in his 60s/70s walks with a stick I have a photo but I don't want to put it on here.........YET

I worked with a Norman Ogden (Nutty Norm) at Crosville/Arriva a few years ago (late 1980's to mid 90's), I think he lived in Bryn Pydew. He'd be in his 70's now.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #847 on: April 18, 2014, 02:59:15 pm »
It's probably him then thanks SDQ it's probably just a misunderstanding but in an effort to be nice (doesn't happen often) I have been left £30 out of pocket  :(
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #848 on: April 19, 2014, 12:12:47 am »
He's obviously not THAT nutty then is he?   :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #849 on: August 04, 2014, 09:47:18 pm »
  Like all local pubs there is not much going on here. So ---

I have noticed a considerable increase in the number of cyclists riding between Llandudno and Old Colwyn on my daily travels. Well done, I have always been a cyclist (last time on a replica penny farthing in the extravaganza parade. I fell off).
  On most of the road leading up the Little Orme from Llandudno there are continuous double white lines. Now there are a number of self proclaimed excellent drivers here as members of the forum. So do we all know what we should do when coming up behind a cyclist struggling up the hill. I doubt it. Next, if they know what they should do, do they do it? I doubt this even more, maybe Yorkie is the exception.
  Do I do what I should do? Maybe not---but I would always do it if there was a police car right on my tail. So that I can have the pleasure of telling him, after he has pulled me over and asking what is the matter with my driving, in no uncertain terms that he needs to read the highway code

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #850 on: August 04, 2014, 10:11:10 pm »
Why worry about the double whites up Craigside hill?   During the Extravaganza cars are parked all the way up the road and no Police Officer ever issues a ticket.  A blind eye is turned, I wonder why?

Yes Mike, I know what to do if I come across a cyclist, or slow moving vehicle.    :cyclist40:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #851 on: August 04, 2014, 10:35:55 pm »
I always give cyclists a wide berth, but what really annoys me is they're on the road when there's a perfectly good cycle path alongside where they could ride safely.

How many of the many cyclists going from Llandudno to Old Colwyn are on the cycle path? ... probably the young kids on a family ride out, but not the lycra louts with their head-cams and complete disregard for their own safety.

I went to buy a dashboard cam for my car the other day - sold out - look on e-bay and see how many are getting sold.  I wonder why.

Rant over!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #852 on: August 05, 2014, 07:52:39 am »
Yesterday we came down the dual carriageway section of Conwy Rd to the roundabout between Maesdu Rd and Clarence Crescent. Because of the extremely long queue back from the roundabout in the LH lane, we used the RH lane, intending to turn Right along Clarence Crescent. As we came down the carriageway a white car abruptly pulled out in front of us, from the queue without indicating, drove at about 32mph along a nearly deserted RH lane then entered the roundabout and went straight on, causing the car on the inside to have to brake sharply to avoid being hit.

Shortly afterwards, we were leaving the town from Maesdu road.  The same long queue to enter Llandudno was still there, the only difference being that the drivers coming in felt utterly secure in driving onto a roundabout whose exit was blocked and thereby blocking any entrance from Maesdu road.

It's certainly not only bikes who drive poorly. In fact, I'd argue it's now reached the stage when anyone driving well, at the correct speeds, indicating properly and appropriately and judging their position correctly is very much the exception.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #853 on: August 05, 2014, 08:06:50 am »
There's another interesting place where you stand to be sideswiped: driving from Deganwy on New Rd onto the giant roundabout with exits to Llandudno Junction, the Tesco store and onward access to the A55 and finally Conwy. The second exit from that roundabout is slightly to the right and thus traffic probebly ought to use the RH lane when appraoching the roundabout.  The road markings, however, say different:

[smg id=3281]

Traffic intending to head for Llandudno Junction, Tesco, the cinema complex or the A55 are instructed to use the LH lane, which means that those heading to the last three destinations have to circumnavigate more then half the roundabout. I've now stopped trying to do it the 'correct' way, after numerous cars simply take the RH lane, then happily swing across to the exit in front of me without - apparently - using those silvered glass things fitted to most cars these days.

So, yes; the dash cam is rapidly becoming a necessity. Which? recommends the Nextbase iN-car Cam 402G Professional.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #854 on: August 20, 2014, 09:37:50 pm »
   Changing the subject. North Wales Pioneer todays issue has a piece about the Prom Xtra and a photo. The photo shows a street fairground scene but it most certainly is not one of the previous Prom day scenes. Whats the matter, cannot they even be bothered to print an authentic photo of previous Prom day/Prom Xtra?