Author Topic: Duty or Pleasure?  (Read 18391 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Duty or Pleasure?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 08:47:54 am »
I seem to remember that Twitter was conceived as a simple-to-use replacement for SMS, originally. SMS still has about 3 billion  users, so the market for short text messaging is clearly there. In terms of Twitter, I can see its value for, say - people at a conference, where it would be simple to keep track of colleagues and pals through the service, but I also suspect that Twitter will eventually - through add-on features and advertising - possibly lose its appeal and even functionality. On the other hand , processor speeds continue to increase, so maybe not. At the moment, it's probably the nearest we'll get to telepathy for while.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 09:13:57 am »
Twitter is a good example of something that you need to put a bit of effort into to get something out of it.

I found it very useful during the recent bad weather for getting the latest news on road closures etc.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 10:03:14 am »
I think it was also useful in the Arab countries during the summer.  Instant messaging but without a single client.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 10:28:05 am »
SMS, never used it,not reallly sure what that is either! more of this modern technology that has passed me by! Perhaps it's an age thing! I never got on with mobile phones either! Erindoors has one for emergencies, very rarely used! Now the iPad on the other hand is great! Always using it  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 10:47:57 am »
The Wiki article on social networks is interesting, as it shows how the world itself is shrinking as a consequence of novel communication systems. I remember the excitement of using the earliest systems, back in 1994, to find you were chatting to people across the world (although usually in the US), but you eventually ran out of things to say. The systems themselves have adapted to newer technologies as mobiles and Tablets sprang into existence, but the Joyce concept of the stream of consciousness does seem to be what we're moving towards. I'm not sure how long it will be, but I suspect we'll eventually reach the point where we can broadcast our thoughts without using our fingers. In terms of effort involved, I suspect any new communication system - be it Facebook, or even the humble forum - takes some effort to learn and extract the best from.

But returning to the original point I suspect that broadcasting local news as it happens (which is effectively what the Police are doing) is probably a good idea on balance, but I share some of Yorkie's misgivings, as I imagine a careless tweet could easily interfere with a prosecution. But, like most ground-up innovations, I imagine the system will ultimately be formalised, with each group of Police being accompanied by a dedicated and specially trained tweeter...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 11:39:42 am »
I remember the excitement of using the earliest systems, back in 1994, to find you were chatting to people across the world

I seem to remember that with my old Apple Euro Plus with 16k of memory and two floppy discs, I was able to send messages in the early 1980's!  I think (as best as my mind can recall) that the system had the word "gold" in it, something like gold mail.   In fact I was still using that animal, which I had interfaced to an electric typewriter, until about 1995 when I got my first PC with Windows '95 on board. 

Times have certainly changed!   :D

And as today is my Birthday, I wonder what the year ahead will hold?
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 11:57:26 am »
I remember when CB radios were all the craze, I lived in Coventry at the time and thinking that it may be interesting I bought a receiver to listen to it. A waste of money as it was just completely pointless messages, never heard such nonsense!  :rage:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 11:58:53 am »
Sending emails in the 1980s - that's amazing, who on earth could you contact?

Offline Tosh

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2012, 12:10:00 pm »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY YORKIE.   Z**  _))*   ££$  $walesflag$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2012, 12:29:02 pm »
Yes, Happy Birthday Yorkie!  {}{} <:<:<:< +}}{-- _))++

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 01:09:30 pm »

And from me!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 03:15:57 pm »
Sending emails in the 1980s - that's amazing, who on earth could you contact?

Very few people and generally people you did not even know.  I did very little with communications as I was using the Apple for business, and with only 16 k it wasn't easy.  Everything was coded and went to the disc to get the information before being able to process it.  I managed to write a small accounting suite that did Invoicing and bookkeeping with the constant whirring of the two disc drives!  Those were the days.

Thanks to all for the Birthday Wishes. 

Have a great Christmas and a Peaceful, healthy and prosperous New Year.

$drink$ $drink$ $drink$
Don't drink and drive.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2012, 03:42:50 pm »
Happy Birthday Yorkie, hope that you've had a great day.     +}}{--

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 05:11:37 pm »
Thank you all, I did have a fantastic day.  However since then I have discovered that once one reaches a certain age many companies expect something dreadful to happen to you.  Can't get a mortgage and travel insurance doubles or even more.  Age UK wanted £1,237 for an annual policy for Europe, and that did not include my skiing or hang gliding!    Plenty more of such extortionate prices will no doubt come my way in the forthcoming months!    ZXZ
Cicero