Author Topic: Thinking of moving to the area...  (Read 84095 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Thinking of moving to the area...
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2011, 10:52:12 pm »
Exactly!   You don't know what you are getting, and unless you have a bit of knowledge yourself to check the workmanship,  you can get ripped off every time.

Can anyone recommend someone who can render a garden wall for me?   :D   I pay well but expect a good job!    ;)

I have some great workmen (Builder / Plasterer / Electrician / Plumber) on the go at the moment..
I will be recommending them VERY strongly in a few weeks time ... but not now, because I want them to finish ALL my jobs first, before they start any others!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 07:54:25 am »
I'm not desperate so providing it is prior to the Winter I can wait!   I need a chap who will be wanting cups of tea every half hour, leaves his tools lying all over the place so one trips over them, pours spare materials down the drains, and charges extortionate rates for the odd hours that he may do some actual work.    He must also leave the place like a tip and the whole job requiring redoing in 6 months time.  If your man fits the bill send him along.
 L0L  L0L  ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 08:05:20 am »
Is the wall already rendered or is it just the brickwork is spalling and you want to cover it up?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 08:11:04 am »
I'm not desperate so providing it is prior to the Winter I can wait!   I need a chap who will be wanting cups of tea every half hour, leaves his tools lying all over the place so one trips over them, pours spare materials down the drains, and charges extortionate rates for the odd hours that he may do some actual work.    He must also leave the place like a tip and the whole job requiring redoing in 6 months time.  If your man fits the bill send him along.
 L0L  L0L  ZXZ

you could always try (another Viz spoof ad)

TWO HOOTS CONTRACTORS
Boorish, ill mannered builders.
*Prompt efficient service
*Gardens laid waste by boots
*Gallons of your tea demanded
*Very loud Radio 1 all day
*Polite requests acknowledged and completely ignored
Tel:0191 284 349
Remember - we always pay scantest regard to your property.
 :laugh:

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 04:36:15 pm »
Is the wall already rendered or is it just the brickwork is spalling and you want to cover it up?

Brick work solid by spalling from winters foul frosts over the past 40+ years.   I also have another wall that is rendered and dashed that needs redoing but it could wait 'till next year when most of the render will have come off.  Unless, of course, I can get a decent price for the two at once.

Would prefer someone who is not VAT registered as I don't feel like paying another 20% to the government.   ;)
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2011, 06:15:32 pm »
A lot of the garden walls in that area are in a similar situation, as common bricks were used instead of engineering bricks. The bricks slowly soak up the water, which then freezes and the face of the brick breaks off. The point is that the only way to solve the problem once and for all is to rebuild the wall entirely, otherwise you are constantly patching up rendering.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 07:02:46 pm »
Dave, you are quite right but when the wall is under joint ownership it is difficult pursuading another party to cough up when they have already had to replace one wall due to having a tree too close.  They had to pay all of that one even though it was jointly owned.   D)

I have had the wall capped as it was just cross laid brick on top and this has helped.   Once it is rendered I will get a coat of repellent on it which seems to have done a decent job on other bits and pieces.   Vallence and Hughes have a lot to answer for!    ;)
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 07:13:23 pm »
Yes, a coating of brick water repellant certainly helps.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 11:04:29 pm »
Thats interesting Dave,
I never knew that... so its a good job that the brickwork in my extension is made of engineering bricks.
I had never heard of them until recently.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2011, 07:13:10 am »
Masonry just ain't what it used to be!  Give me the good old blue at any time!    ;)
Cicero

Offline twinkleystar2010

Please does anyone know what this area is like to live?
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2012, 01:54:32 pm »
Hi

Sorry if this in the wrong area but its my first post.

I have been offered a house swap to LL30 1JE,and I was wondering what the area is like.  Is it safe at night or groups of people hanging around etc

Any information would be gratefully received

Thank you

Offline Yorkie

Re: Please does anyone know what this area is like to live?
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2012, 06:29:16 pm »
Not the best location.  Next to a scrapyard, the local hospital and a large Secondaty School.
Cicero

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2012, 06:51:14 pm »
 great location then if you have an old car to get rid , if you hurt yourself hospital at your door step , and if you have children schools close by , and the asda just down the road , as for the youngsters they all stay in playing on the x boxes

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2012, 08:21:43 pm »
This is my postcode. It's perfectly safe at night, I've never seen any intimidating groups knocking about at night, there are lots of children around but they are mainly younger kids. As soon as it gets dark it's very quiet.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2012, 08:31:22 pm »
Surely the answer to twinkleystar's question depends upon where she lives now?