Author Topic: Thinking of moving to the area...  (Read 84141 times)

Offline Basylv

Thinking of moving to the area...
« on: October 15, 2010, 02:07:21 pm »
Hello everyone, we've just retired at 60 and looking to possibly have a better retirement in Wales. We want to escape the rat race in the Midlands. We've googled properties between Betws y Coed and LLandudno, We're spending a few days in Llandudno in Nov.; We've had hols there in the past, and intend looking around the local estate agents.
We'll have a look at one or two town centre Victorian terraced houses near the front with a few bedrooms. Does anyone here know of retired people choosing this location? What pitfalls are there besides only street parking? There seem to be lots of bungalows for sale. What is local health service provision like - doctors etc? Hope not too many Questions..! Many thanks in anticipation.

Barry
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 02:49:35 pm by Ian »

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Thinking of emigrating here..**
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 02:21:38 pm »
It's a good place and area to come to. I came with my work in 1983, early retired in 1996 and thoroughly enjoy my life here.
Healthcare as far as I am concerned is fine, a bit difficult to maybe find an NHS dentist though so you might have to go through a private scheme.

Shopping is good and Snowdonia is on the doorstep - what more could you possibly need?

Stan the Bellringer

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Thinking of moving to the area...
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 02:51:03 pm »
Does anyone here know of retired people choosing this location?

They comprise the bulk of the population in Llandudno, Barry.  You'll enjoy it here;  it's a good place to live.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 05:12:47 pm »
Don't buy in the Town centre.  Get out to Penrhyn Bay where there are a few nice estates with essential services and only a mile or so away from the town centre which can get very busy with tourists and folk coming in from the surrounding areas.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 06:09:05 pm »
Don't buy in the Town centre.  Get out to Penrhyn Bay where there are a few nice estates with essential services and only a mile or so away from the town centre which can get very busy with tourists and folk coming in from the surrounding areas.

Having lived in Penrhyn Bay for 3 months now we can highly recommend it D)  Best place I've ever lived, we are in the middle of the Penrhyn Beach estate which is nice and quiet, but only 3 min walk to the beach, the Little Orme and Angel Bay is on our doorstep and all you could need is a few mins drive away in Llandudno itself, ideal :) :) $wales
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 08:04:14 pm »
Having moved into live on Great Orme in December last year, I'd have to recommend that as a potential target area for you. I love the rural feel to it but still being able to get into town without the car and without necessarily living in the town centre.Within 5 minutes walk from here you can be overlooking either of the two shores and looking out towards Ireland and Isle of Man. Penrhyn Bay is, as already stated another really nice area to live. Craigside is handy for town and gets the evening sun. Deganwy is a bit further out from the town centre but again really nice Llandudno offers all the facilities you need for day to day living, health etc and the people here have been very friendly and welcoming.  We've got children that have moved away from home (university ,jobs etc) but they now say they look forward to coming back more to visit or stay  in between terms than they did where we used to live.   

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 08:29:49 pm »
Having moved into live on Great Orme in December last year, I'd have to recommend that as a potential target area for you. I love the rural feel to it but still being able to get into town without the car and without necessarily living in the town centre.Within 5 minutes walk from here you can be overlooking either of the two shores and looking out towards Ireland and Isle of Man. Penrhyn Bay is, as already stated another really nice area to live. Craigside is handy for town and gets the evening sun. Deganwy is a bit further out from the town centre but again really nice Llandudno offers all the facilities you need for day to day living, health etc and the people here have been very friendly and welcoming.  We've got children that have moved away from home (university ,jobs etc) but they now say they look forward to coming back more to visit or stay  in between terms than they did where we used to live.   

And he's got views to die for !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 09:55:17 pm »
He sure has ... which just goes to show that you DO get what you pay for in life.

I coveted Medz house for years before moving to the area,  into a house that I COULD afford!

Fair play to Medz,  I love reading the accounts of the views and the sunrises they can see down in the bay ... keep 'em coming.  $welsh$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline TELL

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 12:15:28 am »
We moved to Llandudno when we retired at 60 a few years ago. We had previously lived on the outskirts of London. We live in a beautiful apartment in the town centre. We love it.  We are just around the corner from the supermarket, the station, the seafront, and all the other amenities. We have a car but only use it a couple of times a week. We have been made very welcome and have made lots of friends. if you are going to buy a home in town, ensure that you get a covered parking space (parking is a nightmare and so are the seagull droppings). The people are great and it is a fabulous place to live. Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:47:28 am by Ian »

Alice

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 11:51:46 am »
If you want more choice on your doorstep then it would have to be Llandudno, though another alternative to those already mentioned  would be the Craig y Don area of Llandudno which is a quiet residential area with a few shops and only a ten minute walk into the centre of Llandudno.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 09:16:56 pm »
Hello everyone, we've just retired at 60 and looking to possibly have a better retirement in Wales. We want to escape the rat race in the Midlands. We've googled properties between Betws y Coed and LLandudno, We're spending a few days in Llandudno in Nov.;
    Barry

Apart from this initial enquiry, we never heard anything more from Barry.
So Barry if you do look at the Forum still, let us know what the outcome of your November visit was.

Offline PeterC

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 04:41:32 pm »
Hello.
I came across this thread while I was looking for advice on moving to the area. I will be starting a new job in Deganwy in a month or two, and am starting to investigate the practicalities of living in Conwy/Llandudno/Colwyn Bay.
My idea is to be able to live with 5 miles of Deganwy, so that I can commute to work by bicycle. I would also like easy access to Tesco and Llandudno Junction Leisure Centre/Climbing Wall and Train Station.
When I do use a car, it will most likely be to head south into the Snowdonia Park, hopefully during summer evenings after work, and at weekends. I visited Deganwy in the low season a few days ago, but I'm wary of being trapped by holiday season traffic.
I'd be grateful for any thoughts/hints/tips the locals can offer on where to consider for accommodation (rented at first)!
Peter

brumbob

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 05:04:49 pm »
Hi Peter
Welcome to the forum.
Do you not fancy actually living in Deganwy? It seems the best option.
Commuting to work by bike will be a doddle in all the areas you have suggested
though the North Wales Coastal Cycleway tends to bypass the easy, obvious but unlawful route along the Llandudno promenade.
Some great cycle path photos on this site:
http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/nwles_co_cyw.htm
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:06:31 pm by brumbob »

Offline PeterC

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 06:54:51 pm »
I quite liked the look of the houses on York Road, Deganwy - the ones with the great views! But I think they're a bit out of my price range ;-)
Just out of interest, how prone to clogging up is the road from Deganwy to Llandudno Junction?

brumbob

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 07:22:22 pm »
Well seeing as I live in Birmingham, it will be nothing ;D
but I'd better let a yokel answer that for you