Author Topic: Thinking of moving to the area...  (Read 86389 times)

Offline daisy

Re: Thinking of moving to the area...
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2017, 01:38:28 pm »
Bosun / Ian,
I think you have to draw a distinction between the age groups.

Yeh its bit funny for me, being 36 with no kids, because I'm too old for clubbing/etc, but too young for bowls, bridge and church haha. Hope to find the middle ground somewhere!

I started playing Bridge at 16, played competitively from around 24, and still play whenever I can with the boys and their better halves. It's not an age thing; it is an intellect thing, because - like chess - it requires intelligence and memory, coupled with a sound tactical awareness and an ability to keep score, plus the bonus is that it's intensely social. Church - well, you might have a point there. But in the long run, social means exactly that: making friends and meeting other people. The organisations I identified are merely vehicles to reach the goal.
Yes you are entirely right! Church itself is definitely a no go for me as I am an atheist, though I wouldn't discount being friends with people purely because they are religious and I'm not, I do have some religious friends that I share other interests with and I'm a very diversity welcoming kind of person.

I have never played bridge so might like it, I do like poker and board games. Really I am just looking for things/people that have similar interest in being social and community orientated so that I can make some friends there :) and a little nervous about moving areas as that's always challenging but hopefully worth it in the long run!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2017, 01:40:13 pm »
It's not an age thing; it is an intellect thing, because - like chess - it requires intelligence and memory, coupled with a sound tactical awareness and an ability to keep score,

That's me out then.     :(      ;)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2017, 02:16:38 pm »
Ian, Bridge is rubbish..... :P.  teach them darts, now that's a game!  (For both genders, lots of teams in this area)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2017, 02:52:57 pm »
Daisy, it might be worth having a read of the facebook page, "You know you are from Llandudno if you..."
It is a public group so you can read it without joining.
At present there are a lot of posts just with photos of the area but they do have heated discussions on local topics and also post events etc.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2017, 03:01:48 pm »

Yes you are entirely right! Church itself is definitely a no go for me as I am an atheist, though I wouldn't discount being friends with people purely because they are religious and I'm not, I do have some religious friends that I share other interests with and I'm a very diversity welcoming kind of person.

I have never played bridge so might like it, I do like poker and board games. Really I am just looking for things/people that have similar interest in being social and community orientated so that I can make some friends there :) and a little nervous about moving areas as that's always challenging but hopefully worth it in the long run!

If you like poker and board games you'd enjoy Bridge or - my favourite - Skat. Meeting new folk is why it's worth joining organisations such as the Extravaganza committee, or you could volunteer in the Hospice, or the local Hospital (more like a cottage hospital, really) and I assume you will be working? That's another avenue.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline daisy

« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2017, 03:31:20 pm »
Ian, Bridge is rubbish..... :P.  teach them darts, now that's a game!  (For both genders, lots of teams in this area)

I am rubbish at darts :) and pool, but I still like to play for a laugh!

Offline daisy

« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2017, 03:31:49 pm »
Daisy, it might be worth having a read of the facebook page, "You know you are from Llandudno if you..."
It is a public group so you can read it without joining.
At present there are a lot of posts just with photos of the area but they do have heated discussions on local topics and also post events etc.

Thanks yes I will take a look

Offline daisy

« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2017, 03:34:47 pm »

If you like poker and board games you'd enjoy Bridge or - my favourite - Skat. Meeting new folk is why it's worth joining organisations such as the Extravaganza committee, or you could volunteer in the Hospice, or the local Hospital (more like a cottage hospital, really) and I assume you will be working? That's another avenue.

yeh theres a few events including Extravaganza I've got my eye, as I have an events management background too. Will be job hunting after I finish my masters later this year, not sure what yet but keeping an eye on local job sites etc.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2017, 03:52:25 pm »
Fester's half right (which is half more than he usually is) it's generally dead especially in the winter. But the local music scene has grown immensely over the past couple of years. As you said the Great Orme brewery gigs are fantastic, on that note try the Slateman festival in May and Gorjys Secrets festival in July organised by the same people. What shows have you been to at Great Orme Brewery? There's a good chance the same artists will be at the festivals.

Also try Wild Horse Brewery who are starting a new open mic night this month.
Conwy Folk club have a weekly open mic night which is of a really good calibre and very well attended - and also have guest artists every month or so. Most of the guest artists are big in the national folk scene such as the Changing Rooms, Greg Russel, Ange Hardy who all played last year.

Venue Cymru have a few gigs in the arena every year but there should be a lot more - also check out the next level events and Phabstock which is in August on the promenade.
Fountains I believe also have an indie rock night about once a month and you can regularly see local bands in Cooneys and Club 147. Bodafan farm and Penrhyn Old hall are also known to run ad hoc gigs as does the Labour Club in Junction. Junction also hosts the annual busking festival which is really good and doesn't get enough press. Oh the Kings Head on the Orme also does an Annual music festival outside called Headstock which is always packed.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2017, 03:55:42 pm »
Oh also you said you like board games - there is a board games club in Conwy that meets weekly.
I've been quite a few times - very friendly and accessible, don't worry if you don't know how to play any of the games there is always people willing to teach.

http://www.snowdoniadragons.com/

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2017, 04:01:52 pm »

That's ok so is he  L0L ZXZ ;)

Offline daisy

« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2017, 04:16:47 pm »
Fester's half right (which is half more than he usually is) it's generally dead especially in the winter. But the local music scene has grown immensely over the past couple of years. As you said the Great Orme brewery gigs are fantastic, on that note try the Slateman festival in May and Gorjys Secrets festival in July organised by the same people. What shows have you been to at Great Orme Brewery? There's a good chance the same artists will be at the festivals.

Also try Wild Horse Brewery who are starting a new open mic night this month.
Conwy Folk club have a weekly open mic night which is of a really good calibre and very well attended - and also have guest artists every month or so. Most of the guest artists are big in the national folk scene such as the Changing Rooms, Greg Russel, Ange Hardy who all played last year.

Venue Cymru have a few gigs in the arena every year but there should be a lot more - also check out the next level events and Phabstock which is in August on the promenade.
Fountains I believe also have an indie rock night about once a month and you can regularly see local bands in Cooneys and Club 147. Bodafan farm and Penrhyn Old hall are also known to run ad hoc gigs as does the Labour Club in Junction. Junction also hosts the annual busking festival which is really good and doesn't get enough press. Oh the Kings Head on the Orme also does an Annual music festival outside called Headstock which is always packed.

Thanks mate that all sounds right up my street, will check it out  :D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2017, 07:01:03 pm »

This is very true, but it's never stopped me!  😀

By the way B2R, if you went out every now and again, you'd discover that there are THREE Headstocks per year!
Also, lots of ad hoc bands playing in tents on Conwy Quay,  the last time we met it was there, but you might have been too 'beaked up' to remember...  :laugh:   :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline daisy

« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2017, 07:11:48 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys, next question  ;D... wheres the best place to find jobs other than the job centre website which doesn't seem to have much on it. Is there a good local jobs board online?
Thanks

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2017, 10:00:55 am »

This is very true, but it's never stopped me!  😀

By the way B2R, if you went out every now and again, you'd discover that there are THREE Headstocks per year!
Also, lots of ad hoc bands playing in tents on Conwy Quay,  the last time we met it was there, but you might have been too 'beaked up' to remember...  :laugh:   :laugh:

That was Conwy food festival which is another event worth noting - don't let the name mislead you there is no need to be interested in food  ZXZ - there is also the river festival in the summer.