Author Topic: Thinking of moving to the area...  (Read 84216 times)

Offline daisy

Re: Thinking of moving to the area...
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2017, 07:10:32 pm »
It depends on what sort of social life you want.  The churches have quite a thriving scene, depending on which church, of course, there are also around three nightclubs and there are other more traditional pursuits, such as choirs, Rotary, Lions and Round Table. There are also various societies, a Bridge club, and the Llandudno Extravaganza is a year-long event in preparation, so they always need people, while the existing youth groups are always looking for helpers. 

So no;  it's not seasonal at all, and there's plenty to do, plus you'll soon make new friends from all the groups you attend.

Thanks Ian, sounds good. I'm not a church goer and probably bit too old for clubbing. Getting involved with extravaganza would be nice as I have background in events management. Are there many open mic nights/local bands or other music orientated happenings you know of?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2017, 07:23:36 pm »
If you have an events background then the Extravaganza people should welcome you. This year's event is almost on us:

http://www.victorian-extravaganza.com/contact-us

but you could come along and meet them and see what's happening. There are two major events that weekend: the other event is the Transport Festival, run by Len Ricketts:

http://www.llantransfest.co.uk/information.html
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline daisy

« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2017, 08:19:01 pm »
If you have an events background then the Extravaganza people should welcome you. This year's event is almost on us:

http://www.victorian-extravaganza.com/contact-us

but you could come along and meet them and see what's happening. There are two major events that weekend: the other event is the Transport Festival, run by Len Ricketts:

http://www.llantransfest.co.uk/information.html

Thanks Ian, I've got two more months left at uni yet but I will look them up when I finish. :)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2017, 01:11:36 am »
Open Mic nights every Thursday in Cross Keys,  but it's the same old faces unfortunately.
Some new faces would be great.

Is there much of a social scene in the winter?  No.... seriously the pubs are dead.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline daisy

« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2017, 09:32:04 am »
Open Mic nights every Thursday in Cross Keys,  but it's the same old faces unfortunately.

Is there much of a social scene in the winter?  No.... seriously the pubs are dead.

I guess a lot of people hibernate in Winter anyway. Do they put much on at venue cymru in winter?

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2017, 09:53:02 am »

Llandudno pubs maybe dead in the winter, but in the surrounding area, Conwy, Rhos and Colwyn Bay, Old Colwyn etc there's usually something on, and some busy pubs and eateries.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2017, 10:44:11 am »

I guess a lot of people hibernate in Winter anyway. Do they put much on at venue cymru in winter?

Here's the next winter's programme:

https://www.ents24.com/llandudno-events/venue-cymru
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2017, 11:12:21 am »
Bosun / Ian,
I think you have to draw a distinction between the age groups.
There is a relatively vibrant social scene for over 50's, couple etc... in terms of going out for meals, churchy stuff, darts, etc.
But for singles and younger folk Llandudno and the local area is lacking in a vibrant social scene outside the summer months.
I've also just heard that the open mic night is coming to an end imminently, not enough interested apparently.  That was news to me, it always looked busy to me.
However, having said all that, I am over 50 , and I do enjoy life in this area very much.... but when my daughter and her chap come visiting, they are a tad bored.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline daisy

« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2017, 11:13:46 am »

Llandudno pubs maybe dead in the winter, but in the surrounding area, Conwy, Rhos and Colwyn Bay, Old Colwyn etc there's usually something on, and some busy pubs and eateries.
Yeh I do love Conwy so thats great

Offline daisy

« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2017, 11:15:18 am »
Bosun / Ian,
There is a relatively vibrant social scene for over 50's, couple etc... in terms of going out for meals, churchy stuff, darts, etc.
But for singles and younger folk Llandudno and the local area is lacking in a vibrant social scene outside the summer months.
I've also just heard that the open mic night is coming to an end imminently, not enough interested apparently.  That was news to me, it always looked busy to me.
However, having said all that, I am over 50 , and I do enjoy life in this area very much.... but when my daughter and her chap come visiting, they are a tad bored.

Yeh its bit funny for me, being 36 with no kids, because I'm too old for clubbing/etc, but too young for bowls, bridge and church haha. Hope to find the middle ground somewhere!

Offline daisy

« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2017, 11:17:11 am »

Here's the next winter's programme:

https://www.ents24.com/llandudno-events/venue-cymru

Thanks, looks good. I am surprised to see they've got Russell Brand there in 2018, I saw him in manchester he's very funny.

Offline daisy

« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2017, 11:42:33 am »
Bosun / Ian,

Yeh its bit funny for me, being 36 with no kids, because I'm too old for clubbing/etc, but too young for bowls, bridge and church haha. Hope to find the middle ground somewhere!

also I'm not opposed to hanging out with older people, got friends in their mid to late 40s and 50s!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2017, 12:42:42 pm »
also I'm not opposed to hanging out with older people, got friends in their mid to late 40s and 50s!

That's me out then.       :(        ;)

Offline daisy

« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2017, 01:12:06 pm »
 :D age is just a number!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2017, 01:28:03 pm »
Bosun / Ian,

I started playing Bridge at 16, played competitively from around 24, and still play whenever I can with the boys and their better halves. It's not an age thing; it is an intellect thing, because - like chess - it requires intelligence and memory, coupled with a sound tactical awareness and an ability to keep score, plus the bonus is that it's intensely social. Church - well, you might have a point there. But in the long run, social means exactly that: making friends and meeting other people. The organisations I identified are merely vehicles to reach the goal.