Author Topic: Llanrhos stream?  (Read 7291 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Llanrhos stream?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 04:42:16 pm »
Sorry could not find the Google reference Llechwedd.  If the work was before 1989 that would be correct as it was then the Welsh Water Authority and had the EA responsibilities before privatisation. Some surface water sewers may discharge into the Afon Wydden in the Junction and it may be something to with these if the work is more recent. The Afon Wydden (West) outfalls into the River Conwy somewhere beyond Tesco have flowed in a culvert under the railway station - I think that building in Conway Road that partly serves as a bus shelter is something to do with it.  The Afon Wydden (East) joins the Afon Ganol somewhere round the entrance to Dinerth Hall (Glanwydden side).

Somewhere in front of St David's College, probably by the track leading to Cilemeityn, there is a watershed and the watercourse will gradually flow either way depending on run-off and weather conditions at the time.

Personally I do not understand Mostyn's stance on this. Perhaps your friend should talk to one of the drainage engineers in Conwy Council's Environment Section.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 07:04:01 pm »
  Mostyn said they own the banks but not the stream and even though the bank is being eroded it's not their fault or words to that effect. 

I bet if there was a sufficient flow of water and Llechwedd's friend was able to use it to create hydro electricity then the owner of the water would come forward with their grubby mitts for a hand out.    :)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 07:28:26 pm »
Just an add on that came to mind about the eels.  They can travel over land so if the pond doesn't have a stream running from it then they will make their way across the land to get to the pond.
There were a number of fishing ponds in Rhyl that contained Eels but had no watercourses running from them. I think that the Eels have the ability to breathe oxygen above and below the water.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 11:43:03 am »
Ugh and yuck Hugo I will nver walk across a field again!

Cambrian I just Googled Afon Wydden and there's quite a few refs.

"New system keeps flood defences under control
21-Sep-2011

Work has started on a £190,000 Environment Agency Wales project to upgrade the automated control system which protects Llandudno Junction from flooding.

The work, which is expected to take six weeks to complete, will replace the existing system which controls the flow of water from the Afon Wydden into the Conwy estuary and protects 229 properties from flooding.

Controlling flooding on the Wydden relies on a complicated system of four reservoirs which act as flood storage areas.

Water levels along the river are monitored and maintained at a safe level by sluice gates which are controlled by the Wydden Flood Storage Area computer.

Wear and tear of the existing control system, which has been in operation since 1997, means its replacement is essential in order to ensure the continued protection of the area against flooding.

There are also incompatibility issues with the existing system and Wales’ new flood monitoring system.

The kiosks which house the system are also being replaced.

EAW officers will maintain operational control of the flood storage reservoirs while the work is being carried out, in order to maintain flood protection standards.

North Wales Area Manager David Edwell said: “The Wydden Flood Storage Area is essential to the flood defence of Llandudno Junction and it is vital that the system meets the highest standards.

“This work means this will be the case and we can continue to protect people at risk from flooding from rivers and the sea.”

To find out if you are at risk and get early warnings, visit our website
 www.environment-agency.gov.uk/floodwales 

or call Floodline on 0845 988 11 88."

Of course it's Environment Agency, silly me!  But I still don't think it's 'our' stream.  In fact I think I've now got 4!  This one, the Wydden , Ganol and the eels!

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 11:56:52 am »
Just ben looking at a rather poor OS map on the net.  The Afon Ganol goes from Rhos and comes out in the nature reserve.  The Llanrhos one sems to join up with the eels and disappears by the bottom of Marl lane.  So maybe Davv'es theiory was corect.  But I don't think it's the Wydden which seems to be further south east???

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 03:56:48 pm »
The Afon Ganol is another of those odd rivers which flows both ways depending on state of the tides. Like the two Wyddens it is also a scheduled "main river" but is also in two Internal Drainage Districts.  These were originally sort of Drainage Boards run by landowners to drain agricultural land but their powers in this area are now with the EA who are supposed to maintain all the drainage ditches within the IDD.

There is another watercourse which joins the Afon Ganol (West) near Pensarn.  This runs alongside the old Hotpoint site and is then culverted for some distance until it comes out the other side of the railway.  This one starts somewhere round Pabo Hall but I'm not sure if it has a name.