Author Topic: Rip Off Britain  (Read 36186 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Rip Off Britain
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2014, 05:26:34 pm »
Not exactly a rip-off, but how many times do you check your Supermarket bill with the actual prices shown on the shelf edge labels?

Its not just in Penrhyn Bay Yorkie; the "Wife and I went to Cromer on a day visit at the beginning of the month, whilst we were visiting Norfolk, called in to the local Budgens Supermarket. and bought 4 items. We were charged the wrong price for all 4 Items. 2 different soft drinks from the same shelf on the chiller counter, both marked any 2 for £1 but were charged at the individual price for each, a half bottle of Rum priced at £9:50 but sold for £12:50 and a marked down loaf of bread to feed the birds sold at full price. I did point out the error in there accounting procedures and got a full refund. Stay vigilant.

Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Dave

Re: Recommended Tradesmen in the 3 Towns area
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2014, 04:24:58 pm »
I had an unexpected central heating repair last week, apparently the motorised valve needed replacing. The owner of the company popped in for 5 minutes as he was working just down the road and arranged for two of his men to attend and do the job a few days later. Involved draining the system , replacing the valve and releasing air blocks. Time taken 1 hour 50 minutes. Bill £310, which included a part that was apparently £110 although one can be bought much cheaper on line from what I can see. I presume one of the two workers was an apprentice... it certainly wasn't a two man job. Is £100 an hour a fair rate ? I don't think so and I won't be using him again.

Offline cygnusx-1

Re: Re: Recommended Tradesmen in the 3 Towns area
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2014, 08:35:20 pm »
Why did they drain the system as the electrical actuator sits on the mechanical valve in the pipe work and comes off as a seperate part on my system? When your part failed did the heating or water still run as normal and would not switch off?

Offline Dave

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2014, 09:37:17 pm »
The hot water wasn't working independently and only worked in conjunction with the central heating after a lever was used to lock the valve open......... well that's the impression I got of the problem from what I was told.I was also told the motor had burnt out as the valve had run dry because of air in the system.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2014, 08:28:59 am »
I'm no expert on central heating, but I've replaced the motorised valve that controls the flow of water to heating/hot water several times in the past. It really is a simple 10 minute job that doesn't even require the system to be shut down, let alone drained.

Offline Dave

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2014, 08:38:21 am »
Might be a good idea if we posted jobs done and the bill. Gives an idea of what you should pay. I had around an hours roofing repairs done for £60 which I was happy with as you wouldn't get me up on the roof .

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2014, 11:05:16 pm »
Might be a good idea if we posted jobs done and the bill. Gives an idea of what you should pay. I had around an hours roofing repairs done for £60 which I was happy with as you wouldn't get me up on the roof .

Who did that work for you Dave?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2014, 08:44:48 am »

Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Mr Fester?

Offline Dave

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2014, 06:21:22 pm »
What the hell, why not name him. John A Thomas.
When I queried the fact the original estimate had gone up from £250 to £310 he mentioned the part was £110 ( he originally said it was £85 but that should have worked out as a £275 shouldn't it ?)  I asked him how much he charged an hour for labour. He was very evasive and said they didn't work on hourly rates, rather charging by the job. This way he said I wasn't paying for workers sat in their vans drinking tea and reading the paper ! If that was the case then I should have certainly only been charged the amount of the increase in the part over and above the original quote.
He certainly keeps an eye on his workers though. They had to ring him when they arrived and ring him when they finished the job which is why I noticed the time they spent at our house. He appeared in person within five minutes to present the bill.
Wether or not the job was done correctly I don't know but I do know the hot water is working again so from that point I'm happy.
What I do know is he won't be called on by me in the future.
Pleased to see some more heating engineers have been added to the recommended tradesmen list, I shall try one of them !

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2014, 10:39:57 pm »

Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Mr Fester?

Obviously... and I was right as it turns out.

But, I was more interested in the bloke who did the roofing job.
Fester...

Offline Dave

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2014, 08:33:04 am »
The one who was recommended on here !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2014, 01:25:21 pm »
I too had a bad experience with a local plumber a few years ago, but it was partly my fault and I'll make sure that it won't happen again.
It was a very bad Winter a few years ago and my boiler broke down.   We were waiting for a month for a very close relative to do the job but he let us down badly so we were desperate for it to be fixed as the weather was getting worse.
A friend recommended this plumber and said that he was good and his prices were reasonable so we instructed the plumber to go ahead with the job which was labour only BUT we didn't get an estimate from him beforehand.  His rates turned out to be about £65.00 per hour!    He was a one man business with no office or overheads and wasn't VAT registered either.
I won't name him online but I certainly do to my friends as I don't want them to fall into that same trap as I did.
When I had the boiler serviced for the first time by a very good firm called J W Jones & Co they condemned  the boiler as the flue hadn't been fixed properly.  The first plumber then had to return to fix the flue properly or else lose his plumbing certificate.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2014, 09:34:36 pm »
Dave..... I had a VERY lucky escape from the very same chap you mention.  It's a few years ago now though.
Some fantastic last minute advice came my way, in the nick of time.

Hugo, I'm sorry to hear your experience, and it's a shame you don't feel able to name them.

To all, be very careful that when you get a Plumber who purports to be Gas Safe,  ask them why they don't have the actual Gas Safe Registration number on the sticker on the van.   Some do,  some don't..... but when I check those who don't have it, they are mysteriously missing from the Gas Safe register. 

Fester...

Offline Hugo

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2014, 10:51:51 pm »

Hugo, I'm sorry to hear your experience, and it's a shame you don't feel able to name them.

That was a very bad Winter and I will always remember your very kind offer to lend me a Halogen Heater to help keep my house warm.
Although I didn't take up your offer, your gesture was really appreciated.
The reason I don't want to name the person is that people have to make their own opinion on him and others, including the friend who recommended him must have been pleased with his services.    I do however mention it to anyone who asks me to recommend a plumber.
It was my own fault for not asking him for an estimate beforehand and I still feel a right charlie for not doing so.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2014, 07:52:24 am »
Plumbers are notoriously thin on the ground, possibly because the costs involved in becoming certified to the 'gas safe' level are staggeringly high.  It's also curious that they seem to differ from most 'normal' tradesfolk as I can't remember meeting one who didn't know absolutely everything there was to know about every single aspect of plumbing. I do know one excellent chap, but he's been seriously ill for some months, although it's hoped he'll once again be in harness soon.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.