Author Topic: Rip Off Britain  (Read 36198 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Rip Off Britain
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 12:20:33 am »
I use Chris Knowles's Garage at West Shore.... he has given me great service and prices for the last few years.  :)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 11:58:53 am »
Sorry I mentioned it now!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 12:31:28 pm »
I use Chris Knowles's Garage at West Shore.... he has given me great service and prices for the last few years.  :)

Whilst you're recommending local businesses Fester, do you know of anyone in the Penmaenmawr area who is good at repairing fences?  :P

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 12:53:54 am »

Whilst you're recommending local businesses Fester, do you know of anyone in the Penmaenmawr area who is good at repairing fences?  :P

Now thereby hangs a tale...
Fester...

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 02:27:24 pm »
It makes me mad thinking about the latest inflation busting price hike of 8.2 per cent by SSE,  with more of the big energy companies likely to follow suite in the very near future.
I remember a prices and incomes policy years ago when companies had to give an acceptable account of the reasons why the increase in prices should exceed the level of inflation.  This government is not interested in controlling prices and all it does is reiterate time and time again  that you can always change supplier to get the best deal.
It's time they started doing something positive instead.
I am a customer of SSE but the increase won't affect me as I've signed up foe a two year deal and the price of energy for me has been frozen for that time.   Why can't every customer have that same benefit?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2013, 04:05:42 pm »
Renationalise with efficient management!

Sorry, forgot we don't have sufficient money to buy it back!    :D
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2013, 11:02:28 pm »
It makes me mad thinking about the latest inflation busting price hike of 8.2 per cent by SSE,  with more of the big energy companies likely to follow suite in the very near future.
I remember a prices and incomes policy years ago when companies had to give an acceptable account of the reasons why the increase in prices should exceed the level of inflation.  This government is not interested in controlling prices and all it does is reiterate time and time again  that you can always change supplier to get the best deal.
It's time they started doing something positive instead.
I am a customer of SSE but the increase won't affect me as I've signed up foe a two year deal and the price of energy for me has been frozen for that time.   Why can't every customer have that same benefit?

The cost of these monstrous and unproven wind turbines is now directly finding its way into consumers lives!
Have you seen how BAD it now looks across Llandudno Bay?   
The worst fears of those who said it would look terrible were well founded.  &shake& &shake& &shake&
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 09:00:06 am »
The cost of these monstrous and unproven wind turbines is now directly finding its way into consumers lives!

Think I'll wait for the proper figures on that one.

The worst fears of those who said it would look terrible were well founded.

That's a 'beauty is in the eye..' argument.  I find them hypnotically fascinating.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 05:55:54 pm »
Ian said, "That's a 'beauty is in the eye..' argument.  I find them hypnotically fascinating."

Personally, I think a few more, a strong wind and the lot will take off for the Moon!   :D
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 11:22:21 pm »

Think I'll wait for the proper figures on that one.

The worst fears of those who said it would look terrible were well founded.

That's a 'beauty is in the eye..' argument.  I find them hypnotically fascinating.

Ian, with so much in terms of politics governing this, what makes you think you will ever see 'proper' figures?

Also, are you really saying that you think that the view out into Llandudno Bay has not been seriously ruined?
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 08:34:06 am »
Ian, with so much in terms of politics governing this, what makes you think you will ever see 'proper' figures?

:-))  Good question. Which is precisely why we can't make definitive statements as to how the cost is being met. One thing I know, however, and that is that we cannot simply continue to burn fossil fuels as though there's no tomorrow.  We have to start using the sun's energies in ways that don't contribute to atmospheric pollution. And that means tidal, wind and direct solar energy.

Also, are you really saying that you think that the view out into Llandudno Bay has not been seriously ruined?

Some will think it has, but others delight in the appearance of slowly turning mills and something on which they can focus. And it's worth remembering that we - as a democracy - have a choice: we can lobby our MPs to support the building of many more Nuclear plants, or - alternatively - we can stop using the myriad devices that consume electricity.  It's also worth remembering that electricity and its distribution is a relatively recent phenomenon. Not that many generations back our relatives would have wondered what we're talking about. The problem is that our society (and the rest of the world) has now become totally reliant on the stuff, which is one reason why privatising water and electricity was short-sighted. Of course, if you're a free-market advocate then this situation is to be expected.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 10:11:31 am »
I think that the 'Glas Cymru' ownership structure is a good one for utility companies to follow:
http://www.dwrcymru.com/en/company-information/glas-cymru.aspx

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 10:51:27 am »
Agreed, it may surprise people that know me, but I've always thought that the utilities should remain state owned, but run efficiently. Royal Mail too! I'm all for business's making good profits and paying dividends to shareholders (thanks GVC  $good$ ) but in spite of the so called competition in the power market, there are no bargains to be had, I've never swapped suppliers, too much hassle!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2013, 03:28:22 pm »
I think that the 'Glas Cymru' ownership structure is a good one for utility companies to follow:

Indeed it is.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2013, 05:13:44 pm »
I believe even Maggie Thatcher said that the Royal Mail was one thing that should never be privatised.  :o