Author Topic: Rip Off Britain  (Read 36209 times)

craigollerton

Re: Watch batteries
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 09:05:28 pm »
Yorkie, I certainly didn’t read Mike’s comment as a slur on the service of the retail shop who eventually replaced your battery for you.

Mikethewatch has a vast amount of experience in this area and I read his comment as to what forum members might expect to receive from purchasing cheap batteries from other dubious sources.

Perhaps if the comment had been expressed in a slightly different way, then there would be no confusion in my mind.  Apologies if I took it the wrong way.   :D

The majority of electrical equipment in most homes today emanates from China and their success is possibly an indication that they must be doing something right.   We cannot rubbish their products now as we did in the past.   Must also bear in mind that there is also a load of poor quality British goods!
   $uk

Very true and well said Yorkie!

I worked in quality assurance for a major UK importer whose goods were primarily sourced from China and Asia. All goods are sample inspected when they arrive in the country, prior to shipment, samples are received by the importer and checked for quality. Take a typical garden chair for example, the wood has to be a certain thickness, a certain density, treated for pests, tested to meet all the BS and EU safety standards. The wood must have traceability, and be sustainably and ethically sourced, the workers paid a minimum hourly wage or realistic piece work rate. Now that doesn't mean the Chinese don't pull the wool over our eyes from time to time, but anything brought into the UK legally rests on the importers/suppliers shoulders, a dodgy transformer from a Christmas tree that hasn't been safety passed in the UK that could burn someone's house down, or a settee with banned azo dyes which could burn the skin, such issues are less commonplace these days.

Having travelled the world somewhat last year, I found myself in Papua New Guinea. It was interesting to see the differing quality of goods in a typical hardware store over there. The goods were more expensive, yet lesser quality, a metal bedframe for example in the UK must meet a minimum material thickness for strength, I recall the example I looked at being very thin, and the powder coating paint flaked badly. I think it just went to show all-in-all we can expect better quality of imported goods over here due to legislation and quality assurance practiced by those who supply the major retail corporations in this country.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Rip Off Britain
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 12:49:42 am »
In my time of dealing with the Chinese, (over approx 15 years), I found the manufacturers and exporters to be of the highest integrity.
In fact, the biggest fear of a Chinese businessman is to 'lose face', so they are very conscientious.

This however did not extend to the Customs officials.
If the quota of a certain type of goods had expired for the year, then it was quite simple (and relatively inexpensive) to persuade Chinese customs officers that what was in these cartons was something slightly different to what was written on the documentation!

It is amazing how often knitwear became woven shirts, or tailored jackets mysteriously turned into swimwear!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 07:13:08 am »
No slur was intended against Gregorys or any other jeweller and is mischievous to suggest such was my intention !

Thank you for the elucidation, but are you now suggesting that either of us who misread your comment were doing so to cause trouble?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 08:48:30 am »
Isn't the World a wonderful place, and all the people in it wonderful too?

Just think what power one minute watch battery has, and what argument and discussion it can cause!

I must buy another just to check the origins of these little beasties, and to look at it admiringly whenever I get the opportunity - this will be for my eyes only and it will never adorn the insides of any timepiece casing!

This is a Renata, Swiss Watch Battery - maybe Made in China despite the stamped ID!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 10:06:47 am »
The time has come for me to replace all four tyres on my car.   Instead of using my normal supplier I thought I would use a local supplier for a change.  I popped along to the local branch of a national tyre company and got a quote.  After all the discounts I could negotiate the price came to over £370.

I then checked with my usual company and have a price of £230, a massive £140 cheaper.  This does include £20 extra discount due to my car club membership.

The tyres  are the same manufacturer, same specification and rating and includes new valves, fitting and balancing and disposal of the old tyres.   As I am fussy about my cars shoes you may rest assured that nothing is left to chance.

The company I use is Event Tyres (their name explains it all), contactable at www.event-tyres.co.uk, tel 0800 810 0972.  The other useful aspect is that one does not have to go to the garage as all the work is done from their mobile workshop at your own home.  And as added security you do not pay anything until the work is completed.   

Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 10:57:00 am »
The company I use is Event Tyres

They're an excellent outfit. Furthermore, Kwik Fit will always match their prices, BTW...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 11:40:58 am »
The company I use is Event Tyres

They're an excellent outfit. Furthermore, Kwik Fit will always match their prices, BTW...

I don't agree with "Price Matching".  It just means that other people are subsidising your purchase, e.g. Being ripped off.  If a company can't give you their best price to stsrt with, they don't deserve your custom!    ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 12:16:25 pm »
Fair point.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 04:26:13 pm »
I've always used Keith at the Tyre Centre on Builder Street as I like to support local businesses.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Jack

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 04:46:51 pm »
I've always used Keith at the Tyre Centre on Builder Street as I like to support local businesses.

I agree, he is always cheaper than the nationals and a top bloke to boot!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 05:12:37 pm »

I agree, he is always cheaper than the nationals and a top bloke to boot!

I have used him myself in the past and found the service very good, but having to spread the pension out makes one that little bit more price conscious.   ;D
Cicero

Offline Tosh

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 06:56:22 pm »
The last time I needed tyres I used Hi-Q in Woodland Road East Colwyn Bay, very efficient and reasonably priced.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 07:47:25 pm »
                    I've always used Keith too, even back to when he had a garage next to the Petrol Station on the old Llandudno ASDA site . I have always found him to be very competitive pricewise, (also with batteries), and also when Mrs. Gwynant clouted a kerb a few years ago, he checked the  tracking and as it was OK and needed no adjustment, he said there was no charge, and as previous people have said, he is a "top bloke".

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 08:19:43 pm »
As a user of Keith's business for several years, I too would recommend it, and endorse the favourable comments made by others on here.

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 11:29:21 pm »
My husband and I always use Keith (Tyre Centre, Builder Street, Llandudno) - never go anywhere else.  He is as honest as the day is long!