Author Topic: Rip Off Britain  (Read 36163 times)

Offline Yorkie

Rip Off Britain
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:02:11 am »
Most of us will have seen one of the TV exposure programs such as Rip Off Britain, Rogue Traders etc.  and are appalled at what we see and what some traders and service companies can get away with.  No doubt some of us have had a bad experience with builders, plumbers, electricians and the like, but have not got any satisfaction when a complaint has been made.

This Forum could be our platform to highlight bad workmanship or poor service in the Three Towns.   What do others think?
 $thanx$

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Rip Off Britain
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:41:08 am »
It would be very risky to list bad comments without being 100 per cent sure of the facts, seems much safer to just list the good ones.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 09:25:08 am »
It would be very risky to list bad comments without being 100 per cent sure of the facts, seems much safer to just list the good ones.
That's true, it would be very easy for someone with a grudge against a particular trader to write poor reviews.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 08:03:01 pm »
That's true, it would be very easy for someone with a grudge against a particular trader to write poor reviews.

Quite right Dave, that's why in our trade we have no faith in sites like TripAdvisor   >:(
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 08:38:42 pm »

Quite right Dave, that's why in our trade we have no faith in sites like TripAdvisor   >:(

Well said-- you only need another person in the same trade to make a bad comment and it goes against you. There are no checks as to whether the person concerned has actually availed himself of your services, or if indeed he is just being nasty.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 08:52:22 pm »
I would say don't believe any over the top extremely good or bad reviews, the ones in the middle seem to me to be the real ones.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 09:33:58 pm »

And what about the businesses that write glowing reviews about themselves?   It is possible to have comments on Trip Advisor checked out if you are unhappy with them, whether they are good or bad.   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 09:08:15 am »
You can always post the fake reviews, good or bad. The writers generally only post 1 or 2 reviews, don't fill out their profile, and never include any personal information. If you follow that advice, Trip Advisor and similar sites are pretty useful.

Offline Yorkie

Watch batteries
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 08:35:49 pm »
It's not often one needs to change a watch battery, but sometimes the cost can come as a bit of a shock.
Took my other half's wrist watch into Goldsmiths and was told it would be £7.99 to supply and fit, so I said, "No thanks!"
Went into Gregory's, job done for £4.95.  Lesson learned.   ;D
Cicero

Offline Mikethewatch

Re: Watch batteries
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 09:53:41 pm »
It's not often one needs to change a watch battery, but sometimes the cost can come as a bit of a shock.
Took my other half's wrist watch into Goldsmiths and was told it would be £7.99 to supply and fit, so I said, "No thanks!"
Went into Gregory's, job done for £4.95.  Lesson learned.   ;D
Same make of battery seals checked  etc......
Its possible to get the job done for a lot less if you are prepared to accept a cheap Chinese cell that may well leak and wreck the watch, not a bargain then is it?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 08:23:45 am »

Same make of battery seals checked  etc......
Its possible to get the job done for a lot less if you are prepared to accept a cheap Chinese cell that may well leak and wreck the watch, not a bargain then is it?

Gregory's is a reputable Jeweller that has been established for many years.  Being local with more than the one branch, I would expect them to be concious of the sort of service they give to they customers.  I have every confidence in what I received and paid for and consider that your comment is a sideways slight at the service they give.  I have always been happy with the service and attention they have given me and my relatives over the years.

Never had a problem with a watch battery yet and they seem to last for years, whether they may have been Chinese or not.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

Watch batteries
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 09:41:40 am »
Yorkie, I certainly didn’t read Mike’s comment as a slur on the service of the retail shop who eventually replaced your battery for you.

Mikethewatch has a vast amount of experience in this area and I read his comment as to what forum members might expect to receive from purchasing cheap batteries from other dubious sources.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 09:59:47 am »
Yorkie, I certainly didn’t read Mike’s comment as a slur on the service of the retail shop who eventually replaced your battery for you.

Mikethewatch has a vast amount of experience in this area and I read his comment as to what forum members might expect to receive from purchasing cheap batteries from other dubious sources.

Perhaps if the comment had been expressed in a slightly different way, then there would be no confusion in my mind.  Apologies if I took it the wrong way.   :D

The majority of electrical equipment in most homes today emanates from China and their success is possibly an indication that they must be doing something right.   We cannot rubbish their products now as we did in the past.   Must also bear in mind that there is also a load of poor quality British goods!
   $uk
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 11:42:56 am »
Perhaps Mikethewatch would like to expand on his comment as I, too, read it as denigration of Gregory's.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 08:00:47 pm »
No slur was intended against Gregorys or any other jeweller and is mischievous to suggest such was my intention !