Author Topic: Rip Off Britain  (Read 36185 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Rip Off Britain
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2013, 08:58:54 pm »
   Fester, are you one of the brigade who threatened that the windfarm would damage the tourist trade.

O.K. a bit of challenge. Find me one, JUST ONE, person who thought he or she might like a holiday in Llandudno. But changed their mind because they didn't like looking out in binoculars on a sunny day and might, if they were lucky, see a wind farm.

A bit of verification of course. Not just someone who is saying this but had no real intention of coming in the first place.

Mike

P.s. Fester, have you thought that every now and then you will get an occasional walker on the pier that wants to have a better look at it?

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2013, 09:26:14 pm »
I wonder what our ancestors thought of the ugly pylons carrying thick wires across the country side, all taken for granted now, as our great grand children will take wind farms for granted in the years to come, they will just be another overlooked eye sore.

Offline Minime

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2013, 10:55:53 pm »
My 5 year old loves them, she thinks they're windmills :)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2013, 01:14:37 am »
   Fester, are you one of the brigade who threatened that the windfarm would damage the tourist trade.

O.K. a bit of challenge. Find me one, JUST ONE, person who thought he or she might like a holiday in Llandudno. But changed their mind because they didn't like looking out in binoculars on a sunny day and might, if they were lucky, see a wind farm.

A bit of verification of course. Not just someone who is saying this but had no real intention of coming in the first place.

Mike

P.s. Fester, have you thought that every now and then you will get an occasional walker on the pier that wants to have a better look at it?

As to the latter,  no Mike, I have never come across that.

As to the former, I have countless examples of regular visitors who believe the view of the bay has been ruined by the tubines, and ''may'' stop coming in the future.  Isn't that the same thing or even worse?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2013, 08:38:23 pm »
  Hi-ya Fester me ol' pal.

Now you are a man as strikes me as not being backward when there is a chance of making a bob or two out of a business venture.

So, how about this?

Anchored out in Llandudno bay, this very minute, is a ship riding the storm. It has on its side painted "FLOATING HOTEL." Its connected with the wind farm. Its been around before, I remember Hugo writing about it. I imagine it houses the hundreds who are employed on the wind farm and moves them from site to site, and gives them a bit of a bed t.v. etc in time off.

So, how about you and me waiting to the end of the contract, then buying this boat and away we go.

Windfarm coastal tours, off Llandudno pier, get a close look at this engineering masterpiece.

We cannot fail.   With your business skills and my seafaring knowledge (I was in the Sea Scouts for two years) we cannot fail.

Mike

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2013, 10:02:17 pm »
good idea mike ,but it is already done down great yarmouth ,and yes the tours do well.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 10:30:13 pm »
  Hi-ya Fester me ol' pal.

Now you are a man as strikes me as not being backward when there is a chance of making a bob or two out of a business venture.

So, how about this?

Anchored out in Llandudno bay, this very minute, is a ship riding the storm. It has on its side painted "FLOATING HOTEL." Its connected with the wind farm. Its been around before, I remember Hugo writing about it. I imagine it houses the hundreds who are employed on the wind farm and moves them from site to site, and gives them a bit of a bed t.v. etc in time off.

So, how about you and me waiting to the end of the contract, then buying this boat and away we go.

Windfarm coastal tours, off Llandudno pier, get a close look at this engineering masterpiece.

We cannot fail.   With your business skills and my seafaring knowledge (I was in the Sea Scouts for two years) we cannot fail.

Mike

Fester is the worst treasurer of all time!  :o have to buy our own cheese butties and dartboard because of his negotiation skills  $angry$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 10:58:57 pm »
Ha ha ... Mike, first of all, the vessel in Llandudno Bay is nothing to do with the wind farm.
Instead it is a temporary lodging for some divers who are here to clear the area underneath the Pier Landing Stage.
Apparently there is so much rubbish, (and even a sizeable chunk of the pier) just off the end that the steamers would have insufficient draught to dock.
Local fisherman will also be delighted as they lose so much expensive tackle and have endless snags to cut free.

Born to Run, your left-wing ranting holds no concern for me.  :laugh:
I think you will find that it is a treasurers job to do three things.
1, Ensure sufficient funds are raised.
2, Ensure bills and outgoings are met,
3, Ensure the monies are safe, and a healthy balance maintained.

Seeing as I deprived you of your subscriptions last night, and still hold them in my sticky mitts, I would say that I am doing a hell of a job,   D) D)

Fester...

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2013, 08:44:19 pm »
   All I can say is its a bloody big ship for a few divers.   How few?  A couple of hundred?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2013, 09:31:54 pm »
I don't believe it is anything to do with Divers - why would they need to live on a ship at vast expense? They could stay in town like the MP Marine guys do and just lower themselves into the pier from the Landing Stage. Someone is pulling your plonker, Fester.  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2013, 11:11:42 pm »
I think we are talking about different vessels.

A small vessel was moored in Llandudno Bay for 2 nights, and at first I thought it was the Prince Madoc, (the survey ship from Menai Bridge).  But the vessel was too small to be that.

Instead, I was told by the MP Marine workers that it was for a team of divers to work on Tuesday and Wednesday, to clear the sea bed of debris.
Fester...

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2013, 12:00:27 am »
I stood watching them prepair for the dive this afternoon and watched the other workers putting a landing platform support into place.It is a very busy place and if they get the weather we had today they should be able to get it finished soon.There were two divers going down looking a lot different to captain Nemo,s day.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2014, 05:07:38 pm »
Not exactly a rip-off, but how many times do you check your Supermarket bill with the actual prices shown on the shelf edge labels?

Twice now in one particular Supermarket in Penrhyn Bay, we have been asked for more at the check out than the prices shown on some of the labelling.  Fortunately we were only buying a few items and my mental arithmatic immediately picked up the error.  But had there been a whole trolley full of goods the error, and maybe a few more, could easily have slipped through.

As they say, Buyer Beware!   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2014, 05:28:24 pm »
Assuming this is the Co Op, they need lots of cash at the moment after the banking disaster!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2014, 07:50:12 pm »
Assuming this is the Co Op, they need lots of cash at the moment after the banking disaster!

It bit like giving you a divi with one hand and grabbing it back with the other!    >>>
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero