Author Topic: Owen hughes of Llandudno  (Read 7336 times)

Offline amh1955

Owen hughes of Llandudno
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:52:17 am »
Hello Forum Followers from Australia,

I'm looking for Owen Hughes and his wife Jane (probably Evans) and their daughter Margaret, who was born about 1880. In 1911 census, they are at 2 Albion Terrace and Margaret is married to Samuel Hammond with a son Leslie age 8 months.

Does anyone know if Samuel & Margaret had any other children and when Margaret died? Samuel later moved to Devon, and I thought he may have married again.

I realise there are many Hughes in Llandudno, but to help pinpoint the right family, Owen & Jane also had a son Owen Evans Hughes, who was the town postman in 1911. This is why I think Jane was an Evans before marriage, and there is an entry on FreeBMD that fits in 1865.

Hoping someone recognises this family.

Regards,

Ann

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Owen hughes of Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:47:02 am »
At some point Albion Terrace was renamed Albion Street.  Owen Evans Hughes lived at number 2 until at least 1939 according to the street directory.

Offline amh1955

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 03:03:23 am »
Thank you very much for your reply and your info. I thought it must have been renamed, but without local knowledge, I wasn't sure. I wonder how long Samuel & Margaret stayed there?

More digging to done.

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 12:52:58 pm »
Hello amh1955,

I don't know if you have come across a site called Freereg? http://www.freereg.org.uk

This has been made possible by volunteers transcribing the parish registers. Those for Llandudno are on this for some years anyway.

I found baptisms for the following:

Llandudno Parish Church

24/05/1866 Richard Owen, son of Owen and Jane Hughes.

24 May 1866, Margaret Ellen, daughter of Owen and Jane Hughes.

02/08/1870 Mary daughter of Owen and Jane Hughes.

02/08/1870 Robert Owen, son of Owen and Jane Hughes.

Did they have two sets of twins?

There may be more as I only had a quick look.

As you say, there is a marriage in 1865 in Conwy RD Owen Hughes to Jane Evans which fits.

I shall look again when time permits.

Helig.

Offline Helig

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 11:01:28 am »
Hello again,

I don't know if you have the family in earlier census returns.

In the 1901 they are living at 3 Albion Terrace, Llandudno. Owen is a Railway Porter. Margaret A Hughes is living with them, aged 21. The reference is: RG13/5289 Folio 124 Page 8.

In the 1891 they are living at 43 Albion Terrace, Llandudno. Owen is a Railway Porter and they have a number of children with them as follows:

Hugh Hughes, aged 23, Railway Porter.
Robert Hughes, aged 21, Letter Carrier.
Owen E Hughes, aged 14, Book Stall assistant.
Mary A Hughes, daughter, age 12.

All born Llandudno.

In the 1881 census they are living at 5 Cottages, J Roberts's Yard Back Madoc Street. Owen Hughes a Railway Porter. Children Hugh, aged 13, Robert, aged 11,  Owen aged 4, and Maggie A. aged 2.

Back Madoc Street in is existence today.

Offline Helig

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:42:14 am »
Hello again,

I had posted details of the family back to 1851, together with the baptism of Owen in 1842, however these seem to have gone astray!!

1851 Jane Hughes, Mariner's wife, is by herself with her children, William away at sea possibly. They are living at Llatheuwen (???) next to the Telegraph Signal Station which was on the Great Orme. Jane has children: Margaret, John, Owen, Mary, Hugh and Ann. Reference: HO107/2519 Folio 177 Page 32.

The baptism was at Llandudno Parish Church on 24 March 1842, Owen, son of William and Jane Hughes. This is on Freereg.

I will repost the other details later on.

I hope these are of use to you. Let me know if you have the census information already.

Helig.

Offline Helig

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:08:27 pm »
Assuming you don't have the census information, here it is.

1871, Owen Hughes and family living at 9 Back Mostyn Street East. Owen Hughes shown as Head of the household and a Seaman, born Llandudno. The children are: Elizabeth J Hughes ,aged 5, Hugh Hughes, aged 3 and Robert O Hughes, aged 1. All born Llandudno.

Reference: RG10/5739 Folio 88 Page 49.

1861 The family are living at 3 Maddock Street (there today as Madoc Street) and the head is William Hughes, aged 57, Merchant Sailor, born Amlwch, Anglesey. He is married to Jane, aged 50 and also born Amlwch. There are six children, Margaret, John, Owen, Hugh, Ann and Mary. Owen is shown as a Seaman (Merchant Service). It is probably best just to give you the reference: RG9/4359 Folio 63 Page 6.

Helig.

Offline ingriddeleyva@gmail.com

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 08:53:04 pm »
Hello Hellig,I am delighted to find family still  in wales ,my mothers mother was the youngest of the seven children that came from Frankfurt,Freda,my mother was Violet Margaret Ley,born 1909 in Scarborough.Her father came from Danzig in1900.I live in Devon  born in 1947 and have two children,we left scarborough in1954 and I have been trying to find any Weissbecks, please reply,Ingrid

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 11:57:31 am »
Hello
I have looked in the street directory of 1929 and there is an L. Weissbeck, Watchmaker etc. 3a Vaughan Street Llandudno, at the end nearest to the Railway Station

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 03:48:14 pm »
There were no Weissbecks in the 1939 Llandudno Street Index and the watchmaker that was at 3a Vaughan Street was called Wm F Cobb.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 09:31:50 pm »
Ingridelevya  I have looked up the Weissbecks on Ancestry and there is quite a lot of information on there from the census and BMD indexes. If you don't have access to the site I would be happy to provide you with the details

Offline Helig

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 03:57:19 pm »
Hello Ingrid,

I have sent you an E-Mail to the adress you have given. I have a considerable amount of information on the Weissbeck family which was compiled by a direct descendant who did the research.

I am in touch with a few direct descendants and can put you all in touch.

Let me know if you would like this.

Helig.